Which cooperations...

Pages: 1
Karagin
10/19/02 09:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In the Battletech universe have a lot of political pull?

Which ones could by with holding say hip acutators cause major economic problems for one or more of the houses?

To keep this interesting and to get both sides who feels that things like this aren't important to the game or it's universe, if so could you please explain why. Now what I am asking here is for thoughts and opinions on the above. What I am not looking for is right or wrongs about this issue or anything like that, so please let's try to stay more or less on topic.

Thanks!
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
10/20/02 11:20 PM

Well, any of the major manufacturing firms in the Inner Sphere. The ones that really spring to mind are Defiance Industries, Coventry Metal Works, Luthien Armour Works, and the factories based on New Avalon in the FS and Grand Base in the CC.

But there are also other firms that could wreak havoc. Some Periphery planets rely on imported water supplies. Shut down imports, and the planet is in trouble.

Companies producing high-powered computer equipment or supplying technicians to maintain the same could bring a planet to its knees if they are the only available workforce.

Then, of course, we have ComStar. Although the threat of an Interdiction is somewhat lessened by the fact that two Sucessor States rely on the WoB and there are a lot more JumpShips and "Black Box" gear out there, the damage that could be done to the more isolated areas, and those that rely on ComStar to conduct business dealings, would be up to their eyeballs in it- imagine what would happen if ComStar Interdicted the Lyran Commonwealth :S

But as I said, it's not just 'Mech or military firms that could stuff people up, it's also the civilian firms. It just depends on how creative you want to get. The...industry...on Kooken's, for example, could cause all sorts of trouble by banding together and going on strike.

I'll grant, though, that military companies do sort of spring to mind more than civillian ones.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
10/21/02 09:34 AM

Offhand:

Ceres Metals - rules at least one Capellan system in all but name
Defiance Industries - backbone of Lyran military production
Federated Boeing - builds many aerospace vehicles for FedSuns
Apple Computers - owns an entire planet in the FedSuns (Macintosh; no, I'm not joking)

You might want to hit the .pdf versions of the House Sourcebooks (or hard copies, if you got'em). Those have economic sections that mention major corporate movers and shakers.

Due to the lack of secondary vendors after the Succession Wars (i.e., some companies are the only surviving makers of some items), some minor corporations have surprising clout. In the Davion Sourcebook, one backwater little planet is having an uprising (something about the peasants not liking the dictatorship) and it's the only maker of AC/5s for the Leopard dropships in the FS (or so I recall the story). Because of the Crucis Pact (the FS's Constitution) won't allow federal interference in "domestic" planetary matters, the FS could only sit and fret while its source of dropship autocannons sat idle. Given how many dropships were made annually in 3025, I'd be surprised if that corporation was worth 1 billion C-bills.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
10/21/02 11:32 AM

Now that is a good start...would the companies you listed from the Fed-Com have more power after the civil war or not?

The example you gave from the House Davion book is what I am look for...something like that should be more common or happens from time to time all cross the IS.
Karagin

Karagin
10/21/02 11:37 AM

Now which one of these compaines be it military or civilian could effectively tell the home government to go to hell and do what they (the coperation) wants with out having to worry any more about the reactions of the government?
Karagin

CrayModerator
10/21/02 08:41 PM

>Would the companies you listed from the Fed-Com have more power after the civil war or not?

Superficially, temporarily. After the demands of war, the government would cool down and let reconstruction take place. Look to the US Civil War: the federal government became God during the Civil War, then nearly disappeared by the 1880s. Corporations only appear strong because the government recedes from the limelight. But, of course, peace will last months before the WoBblies make life interesting.

>The example you gave from the House Davion book is what I am look for...something like that should be more common or happens from time to time all cross the IS

Well...do recall feudalism mucks things up. A corporation may rule a planet because the CEO is Duke and favors the company in many business deals. This creates a chicken-n-egg situation: is the corporation truly powerful, or is the gov't just coddling it? Very muddled in BT, unlike SR.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
10/23/02 03:31 AM

Pretty much all of them. You want to live without water? Try it. Or computer parts?

It would be an inconivience to say the least. You would want to pick your time, so the government cannot readily access replacements, and you wouldn't want to do it often, but the disruption would be massive- it could take upwards of 3 months to fix the problem of no shipments etc...

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3934

Contact Admins Sarna.net