PPC or Large Laser...

Pages: 1
Karagin
10/23/02 12:30 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You are building a level 1 vehicle, it's 40 tons has 5 tons armor, speed is 6/9. Now do you go with a PPC or Large Laser as it's primary armament? Secondary weapons are an SRM 4 (25 shots) and 1 Medium laser. Optional if you want to add on something else if there is room.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
10/23/02 05:29 AM

The medium laser makes the PPC inefficient compared to the Large Laser. So I would have to go with the Large Laser. If it was a PPC or a Large Laser with Medium laser then I might still go the large laser since they would add up to the same weight.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
10/23/02 07:23 AM

Sounds sorta like the Myrmidon, which makes it a good idea.

The extra 3 hexes of range and 2 extra points of damage put the PPC into the "useful heavy hitter" category, IMO. You have a chance for head capping that the LL can't deliver and can more often defeat the armor of light mechs in one hit with the PPC. The selection of secondary weapons neatly fills the minimum range gap of the PPC.

However, if this is a vehicle, putting another energy weapon onto the tank along with a PPC will use up an extra 3 tons in heat sinks that could find a more useful application. In comparison, the LL+ML would save 4 tons: 2 fewer SHS and a lighter main gun.

I really don't like the LL. I mean, I don't hate it, but it's just too mediocre: not enough extra damage to stand out from short range/small weapons (particularly for its tonnage), not enough extra range, etc. However, if you really want that ML on the tank come hell or high water, then the LL makes much more sense than the PPC.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
10/23/02 05:08 PM

I agree with the others- it comes down to the Medium Laser. If you are dead-set on the ML, it is better to go with the Large Laser; otherwise the PPC is better.

Then, however, you have the speed and other weapons profile of the tank. With the Medium Laser and SRMs found on it, you would probably be fighting close in- the 3-Hex Minimum Range on the PPC could cause a bit of trouble at that distance.

Personally, I would be inclined to use the Large Laser, but mount only SRMs as secondary weapons. I find that SRM-2s are good on tanks, because you get a large amount of to-hit rolls, increasing your chances of hitting. Against another vehicle, you get even more chances of Immobilising them, or causing Criticals to a 'Mech. And since Ballistic and Missile weapons generate no heat on Vehicles, there is no down-side to having huge arrays of smaller weapons. Personally, I also load Infernoes in my SRMS as well, for extra effectiveness against Vehicles and in order to slow my opponent's 'Mechs down- at least in 3025. After that, Infernoes are largely useless.

At its mass and speed, the thing is probably a good Infantry Support Vehicle. It might be worthwhile adding Troop Bays or Machine Guns for support duties.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
10/23/02 08:16 PM

I prefer SRM-4s over SRM-2s. The SRM-6 has less missiles per ton of ammo thus meaning less volleys of damage compared to these two weapons. Of the examples given you could fit two more SRM-4s on the Large Laser version over the PPC version because of the medium laser (of course there is no extra ammo, but then again a 40 ton tank may not last that long anyway).

Greyslayer
NathanKell
10/24/02 07:09 PM

Ditto.
The Myrmidon and Manticore are surprisingly perfect for FASA designs.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/27/07 01:33 AM

I think this one can make another round...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
JackGarrity
01/27/07 09:05 AM

Laser. PPC is too damn hot for 10 damage in my book plus its a lot of tonnage to devote towards a weapon. and also may i note, someones mech 'yard has been in production hard core o.O
Greetings Mechwarrior.
strife
02/07/07 10:29 AM

Thats a question I've pondered myself, for a vehicle like yours, even. I'd go with a PPC and a SRM/6, just because its a good weapons combonation that fits nicely on a 1 ton turret, maybe some MGs on the hull or some extra armor. I'd say anything slower then 5/8 needs a strong long-range weapon, but your vehicle moves pretty quickly, you could put the shorter-ranged LL and ML to better use, so long as it has some armor to take the abuse of close-range combat. If its a skirmisher, stick with the PPC.
"caliber fifty JUSTICE!"
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7506

Contact Admins Sarna.net