Oddest thing to ever happen in a BT game...

Pages: 1
Karagin
10/30/02 11:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay what was the oddest thing to happen in a BT game to you?

What I am asking here is for you to relate your weirdist story about BT...from those opening round snake eyes rolls that crit and kill a mech to that one chance in a million head shot...we all have had at least one game where the oddest and weirdist things have happen...so let's hear about them!
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
realworldviews
10/30/02 11:20 AM

I don't know if this is what your looking for but...

One year at a Mechforce Bloodname Trial, during the grand melee I was running a Daishi Widowmaker and in the first round I was shot by a Black Python (viper) with a Large pulse laser, Head shot, one possible crit, Cockpit Hit.
This was a non-Simultaneous Battle, if you lost a weapon before your turn came up you lost it, so I never even got to attack.
It was literaly the very 1st shot ofthe game, in the first round and I was out.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Greyslayer
10/30/02 12:43 PM

In a tourney where each player had to field 120 tons of 3025 equipment. My opponent had 4 JVN-10F against my 3 J Edgars and a Phoenix Hawk.

Battle result all 4 Javelins lost their left arms (nothing else, I couldn't even hit them once they lost that damn left arm hence the reason why all four lost left arms). This is to go with the two left arms of javelins I had taken off in the fight against the woman's husband in the previous round. Talk about irked!

Beat that for unusual

Greyslayer
Nightward
10/30/02 04:34 PM

Heh. I remember that pair. I only fought the bloke, but I won by killing a single Javelin and loosing only my Locust in return. Man, I gotta use that Grand Dragon/Stinger/Wasp/Locust combo again someday...

My favourite tournament win was what I did to BigCol a few years ago. It was a good, hard-fought battle which had come down to the wire. He had knocked out my Stinger and Locust, IIRC, and I had knocked down (but not out, it was only missing a leg) his War Hammer and was working on his Blackjack (the version with Large Lasers over Mediums, not the standard model), which I'd also knocked down. My Locust and Grand Dragon were heavily beaten down on, but I'd all but killed the Blackjack. As the final turn, we both opened up with all we had; Col's shots went wide or hit locations that were still heavily armoured. I Targeted all my shots at the Blackjack's Centre Torso, and managed...squat. Nothing hit his centre torso. Everything deviated. However, my Locust managed to shoot him twice in the head! I had a critical, and rolled an 11! Sensors, Empty Slot, Empty Slot, Empty slot, Cockpit! I had claimed 45 tons and loost 40!

Victory was mine!

It later emerged that Col lost every 3025-era match of the tournament. Most likely because he was playiong as a CapConner. Mind you, he went on to win every match in the 3050+ era. Accursed Xin Sheng...

My Grand Melee that year went pretty well, too. A friend and I engaged in a duel in the far corner of the map, ending when my Timber Wolf A put a PPC bolt through his cockpit. Having suffered only moderate armour damage, I ran into the fray. Scott (Greyslayer) had been in the thick of the action, and had been talking smack all tournament; I decided it was time for him to have a heapin' helpin' of PPC goodness. However, it was the Wolf's Medium Pulse Lasers that finished the job, slicing the Stormcrow's head clean off. Screaming in triumph, I headed deeper into the fray- loosing initiative. A Stooping Hawk took a few potshots at me, whilst a Night Gyr with ATMs jumped into my rear. He managed to hit me with a single Medium Pulse Laser from his barrage; I turned and put a PPC bolt through his cockpit. rrrrrRRRRRRRAAAARG! Now in the grip of frenzy, I headed even deeper into the action. All the other competitors halted, staring slackjawed at the smoking beast that had just decapitated the last three opponents it had faced and was curently engaged in beating down on a Nova. The majority of competitors decided that a Timber Wolf armed with dual headhunters who had just obliterated three opponents and was closing in on a fourth was just a tad too dangerous to leave alive; an alliance of 3 players came and took me down. Even so, I shot down one opponent and seriously damaged a fifth before I was taken out. Aaaah...

I have also managed the rare 25-Hex One Shot, One Kill twice. Once was when my friend and I had two custom 'Mechs: I had a single ER LArge Laser on my 'Mech. At 25 Hexes, I decided it was worth a shot; he had nothing to hit me with. I needed a 12 to hit, and got it. Then I rolled a 12 for location. Then I rolled a 12 for criticals. Boom.

The second time I did it was by shoting an opponent at 25 hexes, getting a CT2, and ripping out the Engine.

And of course, there is the tournament where I rolled nothing below a 10 all weekend, except for locations. I ran my Maruader and Archer insanely hot all weekend, and not once shut down or had ammo go up. I also sucessfully gave an enemy Locust a Highlander burial My luck was so good that the ref was called upon to check my dice; whilst he was away, I used my opponent's dice, still getting the same results. And my opponents also had the worst luck, constantly falling over, shutting down, missing easy shots etc...I think I burnt four year's woth of Karma over those three days...

Anyway, I have a job now, so I should make it to next year's BIG Weekend BT tournament...if there is one.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
10/30/02 08:19 PM

I don't think anyone seriously wants to organise a tourney at the Big Weekend this year. (plus I think next year if cricket is on that weekend then its my turn to play cricket instead of btech anyway ). Maybe if everyone are lucky I will orgainise another 3025-con at say my place that weekend (two days instead of one, higher bv and longer time-periods for matches), that of course depends on numbers and whether cricket is on that weekend.

I'd gather you and a shadowhawk with infernoes would be there again?

Greyslayer
Nightward
10/31/02 04:00 PM

Ooooh, yah. Although, the thought of taking X BV worth of Elite, Anti-Mech Jump Flamer Infantry platoons also has certain appeal

So what happened? The administration continuing to jerk people around? I thought that Maelstrom started as a splinter group from the "Other" tournament, though it appears the people who ran the other tournament are now in charge. I'm confused...

The other advantage of playing at your place is that it will not have a $50-odd registration fee, which is what kept me away this year...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
11/01/02 05:32 AM

'Ooooh, yah. Although, the thought of taking X BV worth of Elite, Anti-Mech Jump Flamer Infantry platoons also has certain appeal'

One of the few very true things that Nystal did say when he was talking about bv is that bv does not take into the fact that of numerical superiority. For that reason I would set a limit of units, the last one was of 2-8 units and I am still leaning towards that value even with the increase in the number of units.

'So what happened? The administration continuing to jerk people around? I thought that Maelstrom started as a splinter group from the "Other" tournament, though it appears the people who ran the other tournament are now in charge. I'm confused...'

This is a statement... ROLEPLAYERS COVER YOUR EYES. Briscon was overrun with roleplayers. It destroyed the experience for wargamers who after paying a large registration fee towards their evens find that roleplayers end up paying virtually nothing have small groups, increase what is ended up being paid because they like 'small rooms to play in' and they ended up getting better trophies from all this because the commitee was a very political roleplaying group. Maelstrom was born from the wargamers being sick and tired of this and after a couple of years of very successful cons for Maelstrom, Briscon folded (no longer able to rake money in from wargamers it couldn't stand on its own feet). Of course there were one or two roleplayers in the maelstrom committee but essentially is was wargamers who ran it until those who caused briscon to fail got their foot in the door of maelstrom. About the only major change from The big weekend over the old Briscon is that wargamers are getting slightly better prizes than they used to. So yeah line up the roleplayers and shoot them .

But on the matter I think players who played in the 3025con I ran had more fun than would've been had if a part of a major convention and since it would be a long weekend they can still attend the convention for a day if they so choose (or I could have two one day competitions allowing people to field a army one day and a different one the next). Also the parking is good at my place and about 60 meters away is a brodies, chinese take-away and a corner food stare. A 15 minute walk down the road is a woolworths shopping centre and mall (as well as a maccas for those wanting to digest plastics ).

Greyslayer
Diablo
11/04/02 07:52 PM

well...

the dragon has got to be in my experiance the most durable mech i've ever played. The thing just wont go down. I remember I was playing m friend once. I remember he was using a lance of lights against my 3 medium mechs. the match went good for the most part. I was keeping him locked up in the mountains. then he got in the lucky head hot and KO'd my Dragon pilot. now I'm thinking, OK, he'll wake up soon. he didn't. with the odds now 2-1, I started loosing mechs andmy pilot would not wake up. he then had one of my mechs ot and I took one of his out. my friends getting cocky so he dicides to flank my dragon while he's asleep. one front one behind and one keeping my Enforcer buisy. my dragon wakes up. first salvo, rips the cidicas leg off behind him. th AC and the laser miss and the panther manages to cream my dragons arm. his Comando de-legs my enfocer and attacks. my Dragon was soaking damage left right and center. eventualy his only scraps of armour lay in his left torso and rear center. left arm gone, hip busted. AC usless. the my pilot goes into his "bloodrage" fires a laser blast and eats up the commando's insides. BOOM! ammo explosion. meanwhile the panther is looping around for a possibly fatel back shot. he seemd to forget about my enforcer and gets de-leged. Dragon turns around and finishes it off.

now the story might sound not so amazing but you should have seen the stat sheet for the Dragon. after that I carrie done on me as often as possible.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
dwug
11/09/02 08:24 PM

In a 3025 game, I was running a King Crab and my opponant was running an Annihilator. The first shot of the game, long range, he hit me with one of the 4 AC/10's. Head shot, 1 crit, cockpit. So we start over. The EXACT, SAME, THING happened. To this day, I don't really like King Crabs. And Annihilators just suck.

dwug
"Good Ash, Bad Ash, you're the one with the gun."
KamikazeJohnson
11/09/02 08:51 PM

Oddest thing? Three words: Vernon "Headhunter" McQueeg" (see 2nd JMInc Invitational Design Challenge, Designs forum)

Ok, honestly, I didn't have pilot names on the record sheets, I simply blamed any goofy head-shot win on McQueeg. However, there were still a lot of bizarre happenings in that tourney (most notably Bob's Gauss Triplet thingy that couldn't seem to miss).

And consider this...since the purpose of those battles was to test the overall effectiveness of each 'Mech, I would generally re-roll a decisive early hit, such as a first-round head kill. Even so, I re-rolled one of those head-choppers not once, but TWICE before accepting it as fate and recording the result.

Runner-up for oddest thing? This might not be freakishly unlikely like some of the other stories, but it was damn funny...this time check out the 1st JMInc challenge...first round results for the Wolfspider...a goofy Quad

The outrageous little quad was facing a Thunderbolt, and was doing quite well, slowly picking the bigger thing apart, but it eventually ran out of ammo, down to only a couple very minor weapons. Anyway, the big bad T-Bolt moved in for the kill, kicked with a target number of 5 IIRC, missed, fel LSl, damage LT (crit), ammo hit. KaBOOM! I nearly fell over laughing
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Rockdaddy
11/19/02 03:35 AM

Lance on Lance skirmish. By the end of the first turn, all 8 'Mechs were destroyed. 2 went down from head hits with Gauss Rifles, 1 blew a piloting roll when it jumped into a Level 1 water hex, and breached a side torso (it had an XL engine) 2 had freak Center Torso/ 3 Crit hits that killed the engine, 1 had an XL engine and a ammo explosion, I was DFA-ed and the pilot killed (the Blown piloting roll from above was his killer) and one took 6 hits from a LB-X shot to the head.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MacLeod
11/24/02 12:46 AM

This happened three times:

Okay, so I would have 3025 games against this friend of mine (who doesn't play anymore because I kept beating him). I always used the standard Zeus, because it was my 'lucky' 'Mech.

In three different matches, on different days, he used a Jenner. In each case, I hit him with my Zeus' AC/5 in the rear torso and set off his SRM ammo. And it was always with my seventh AC shot.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Vapor
11/24/02 02:18 AM

I remember the very first time I played BT. I was piloting a Hunchback, and a friend was using a light 'mech, I can't recall exactly what he was using. We were going against the GM's Atlas. The very first shot I fired with the AC-20 sprayed the Atlas' head all over the hill behind it. I've never gotten a headshot with an AC-20 since then.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
BroCaptMaximus
11/25/02 08:37 PM

My brother was testing out a 100 ton Clan mech with 4 Clan ER PPCs on it. He took up a good firing position on a hill and was set to face my 4 waves of opposition. The plan was to send in a single mech at a time to face my brother's creation. I'd start with a light then move on to a medium, heavy and finally an assault. I don't recall what light mech I had but it was fast and I used it to circle around behind my brother without taking any crippling damage. At point blank range I hit him with a small pulse laser or something similar. I rolled a snake eyes and subsequently my brother lost his gyro to a pair of critical hits. GAME OVER.
Karagin
01/16/07 10:58 PM

Bouncwe time once more.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9152

Contact Admins Sarna.net