What if....

Pages: 1
Karagin
11/02/02 11:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay here is an idea we can beat to death...

What if the way heat is handled for vehicles was appiled to mechs...would this hurt mechs more then it does the vehicles or not?

Would it make the game more interesting and bring it down to a more realistic level or not?

Thoughts? Comments? Better ideas?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
11/03/02 12:22 AM

Far less realistic.
The vehicle heat rules are IMO just FASA's way of making you not take energy weapons on vehicles (must pay full for energy; non-energy generate nothing). The no-DHS rule is just a sad attempt to make vehicles enough worse that mechs stand a chance.

Don't get me started on the crit rules: how the heck is it easier to shoot under a steel skirt than it is to jamb a complex thing like a joint!?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
11/04/02 08:15 AM

In reply to:

What if the way heat is handled for vehicles was appiled to mechs...would this hurt mechs more then it does the vehicles or not?

It would strongly benefit non-energy mechs and, by removing DHS from all but spacecraft, reign in the use of energy weapons.

Generally, I'd say it would take away one edge vehicles have over mechs and encourage a lot of ballistic-based mech designs. I mean, imagine the IS missile boats you could make if you didn't need to worry about heat build up from launchers....
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Rockdaddy
11/20/02 02:31 AM

I kind of think we shouldn't futz around with heat rules anymore. They all but became irrelevent with double heat sinks and guass rifles as it is.

It used to be heat management was the most important skill. DHS, more than any other piece of equipment, changed the game, and not for the better.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3539

Contact Admins Sarna.net