GO VOTE!

Pages: 1
NathanKell
11/05/02 05:34 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If you haven't already.
Voting is a right and a privilege. Exercising it ensures ones fitness to have the latter, and guards the former from infringement.

If you're not from the US, well, consider this a really early call for your next election.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Greyslayer
11/06/02 12:50 AM

Lol.... its compulsory here (even local elections). Doesn't mean we are any better off.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/06/02 01:29 PM

I voted weeks ahead of time for both the primaries and the election - absentee ballots.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
11/10/02 06:44 PM

"Voting is a right and a privilege. Exercising it ensures ones fitness to have the latter, and guards the former from infringement."

Or not, of course. Let's face it, people are sheep.

And under the rule of deomocracy, not voting is still making a choice on the leaders of your nation. Down here, of course, if you don't vote, you face a $500 fine and or up to six weeks in gaol.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
DrunkenSufi
11/14/02 05:12 AM

The terror of Incumbancy pretty much negates the individual vote from resting control from incumbants down here. As such, the local elections are pretty much an excuse for people to miss a few hours of work with virtually no other real utility. That is why I did NOT vote this year, because I didn't want to miss the work and the elections ended up JUST as I had predicted.
Got Muhammed?
Nightward
11/14/02 05:13 PM

Yeah. A similar situation exists here. The Labour Party does an incredibly poor job at running the Government, but no matter how badly they do it (and in the recent past, Labour members have been convicted of child molestation, travel rorts, and a whole host of other things) the people of Queensland stil keep voting for them. If the Labour Party nominated a bag of decomposing tomatoes as their candidate, it would win. And, at that, probably do a better job of it than their last candidate...

I prefer the Greek model. A name is drawn out of "the hat", so to speak, and then they were employed as what we would describe as a cabinet minister. Ahhh, the old days...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
11/14/02 05:35 PM

Ah you forget that even the State Labor Party is better than the Local Labor Party under 'Lord Jim'. Has he failed to piss off any part of the community yet? Firemen 'bludgers' and so on....

Imagine if the politicians had rules made up not by other politicians and trying to stick to those rules?

Greyslayer
Nightward
11/14/02 10:18 PM

At least Lord Mayor Jim is only stupid, not criminal or insane. Duh. "All firemen are bludgers. They just sit around playing cards or working out in the gym so they can be on the next fireman calender." I know some fireys and they spend most of their time studying up or filing reports. And the calender's proceeds go to the Burns Unit at the Matyr Children's, doesn't it?

Bleh. When I voted last year, I just voted for indepednants and gave my preferences to the Liberals and other minor parties. Next time, I may just hand in blank forms...
Bob_Richter
11/21/02 01:51 PM

>>>And under the rule of deomocracy, not voting is still making a choice on the leaders of your nation. <<<

More accurately, it is leaving that choice in the hands of others.

In the US, only some 30% of registered voters actually turn out: a minority making decisions. That's positively undemocratic.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
11/21/02 01:59 PM

I only wish I could get the idiots who seem to hold a majority around here (Richland, and Washington in general, that is) to STOP voting.

Why, not too long ago, these voters approved an initiative to repeal the Motor Vehicle Excise Tax that was the majority of funding for state transportation programs.

Not surprisingly, the roads started falling apart and the buses started running a little less frequently.

This year, the same MORON who wrote that initiative put another one on the ballot. It seems that the people of King County had decided they liked roads, rail service, and etc. and VOLUNTARILY RAISED THEIR OWN LICENCE TAB COST.
The new initiative measure overrode their preference at the state level, and also moved Light Trucks (that is, SUVs.) into the category of vehicles with $30 licence tabs.

Bah.

I sometimes wonder why I bother to vote.

Then I realise that if everyone thought like that, the idiot majority would rule unopposed.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Nightward
11/22/02 01:58 AM

Perhap so, but still, choosing not to vote is still making a decision about the leadership of your nation. In this case, it's "All the politicians can go to hell. They are all the same, fail to adequately represent me and my interests, and are unworthy of the time and effort it would take me to vote for them."

Or "I'm drunk. What election?"

*shrug*

Speaking purely as a scientist-in-training, politics does not affect me. As long as the government that is elected does not change the rules for studying at University (which they are thinkning of doing), the only way to get me to care less about things would be to pay me to do so.

In the US, it might be different- your larger population base really changes things- but down here all the major parties are pretty much the same; the only other alternatives are the tree-hugging hippie Left-Wing movements of the Democrats (who down here are far different to the party by the same name in the US, so don't get offended) or Green parties. Down here, politicians seem to be in it for the money and perks rather than to actively represent their constituents (although there are a few exceptions, the inestimable Bob Katter for example) and are terribly out of touch. The Shadow Government (Opposition Party, not some weird mafia group) is incompetant and lead by a man with less charisma than the average sack of decomposing tomatoes; John Howard is not much better, but gives some comedy relief with the voice and eyebrows

I do know about democracy and politics, and I understand the need for them. But it just seems they somehow lost focus and relevance, so I don't have the time of day for it. Pay attention to the political news, or study for a Molecular Genetics exam? You do the math :P
KamikazeJohnson
11/22/02 04:41 PM

I've always thought there were two very important questions you ought to ask whenever an election is pending:

1) Who is the best man/woman for the job?

and

2) Why isn't he/she running?

The last local election here, I had decided (in the absence of any other meaningful distinction) that I would vote for whichever party did not interrupt my dinner in an attempt to solicit my vote. (have I ever mentioned that I hate all forms of telephone solicitors?) Guess what? I didn't vote
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
11/22/02 06:11 PM

True. Too true.

The other thing that gets me is that the major parties (and independants and minor parties sometimes) hand out "how to vote" cards that tell you where to put your preferences (down here we have a preferential voting ssytem rather than first-past-the-post). What, they don't think we have enough brains to write a number in each box provided? Bah.
Spartan
11/23/02 12:49 PM

How to vote cards? Sometimes I think we might need those out here. I don't know about your fellow countrymen down under but in Florida many voters apparently couldn't determine the meaning of the numbered arrow pointing to the numbered circle. "I didn't mean to vote for him!" Then why did you? Have any of you actually seen the ballots they had? I still can't figure out what the confusion was. Not that the punch system they used was exactly ideal.

And for the record I didn't vote in the latest election here in Texas because I refuse to wade through eyeball deep muck just to pick my poison.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Nightward
11/23/02 10:00 PM

How to Vote cards are usually for the party faithful, because the major parties work out preference deals with each other to get their candidates, or at the very least a candidate who shares their goals, into office whilst denying their opposition the post.

When we vote, we put a number in the box beside each candidate's name (from 1 to whatever, 1 meaning we really want theat person, and going down in order of preference).

Of course, this means all the candidates fight to be at the top of the ballot, since some people can't be bothered and just file "donkey votes" where they number down the page.

The instructions for voting are found in the ballot boxes and sometimes on the voting cards themselves.

Man, we mock you Americans over here enough already. You're providing me with waaaaay to much ammo
Spartan
11/24/02 09:51 AM

Unfortunately I have waaaay too much ammo to give you. I love America but sometimes(a lot of the time) my countrymen make me sick.

"I'm morbidly obese, have had 2 heart attacks, developed diabetes and hypertension; it's McDonald's fault." "I'm dying because I was stupid enough to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes every day for 25 years; it's the tobacco company's fault." "I'm too dumb to figure out what numbers pointing at each other mean on a ballot card; it's the other party's fault." Then there's everybody sueing everybody else because of some insult percieved or real on a TV show. And then the 11% of my fellow young adults that can't find OUR OWN COUNTRY on a map and yet know which island the latest Survivor series was on. And don't get me started on that show and the hypocrisy of calling itself "survivor".

I think I'm done ranting. Have I given you some fresh ammunition or am I just rehashing what you already know?
Spartan

Nightward
11/24/02 04:38 PM

Eheeheeheee. More ammunition, definately.

I saw that grl's case on the news last night. "I though McDonalds wa healthy because nobody ever said it wasn't. It's their fault I am so unhealthy."

Uhhh, dur. And even more dur for the smoker. There's a health warning on the frickin' packet, for God's sake. "Smoking may increase your risk of cancer" or some such. And we all know what's in a cigarette...the same stuff they use to surface roads, put in mothballs, put into petrols, and use to kill insects. And they wonder why.

I dunno. I think some of your complaints are less stupidity-based than "I refuse to accept responsibilty for my actions".

And cases like this are starting the world over.

As for the map thing...I was nearly crucified by visiting Americans because I didn't know where Washington, DC or New York were on the map they were waving around in front of me. The fact that they didn't know what state they were in down here (Queensland) or city (Brisbane, and hey- there were signs up everywhere saying "Welcome to Brisbane, Queensland) or what our national capital was. They took it as some sort of personal insult that I didn't know where these cities were in some land I'd never been to, never seen a map of, and never intended to visit, but it was fine for them to do the same thing down here. I know where the US is on a map, and I know some of the state names and capitals, but beyond that...And I'd guess it would be the same for most of you about other nations as well.

But hey. At least this should give you a laugh:

AUSTRALIA

Australia is a very confusing place, taking up a large amount of the bottom half of the planet. It is recognisable from orbit because of many unusual features, including what at first looks like an enormous bite taken out of its southern edge; a wall of sheer cliffs which plunge deep into the ominously girting sea. Geologists assure us that this is simply an accident of geomorphology and plate tectonics, but they still call it the "Great Australian Bight", proving that not only are they covering up a more frightening theory, but that they can't spell either.

The first of the confusing things about Australia is the status of the place. Where other land masses and sovereign lands are classified as either continent, island, or country, Australia is considered all three. Typically, it is unique in this. The second confusing thing about Australia are the animals. They can be divided into three categories: Poisonous, Odd, and Sheep.

It is true that of the 10 most poisonous arachnids on the planet, Australia has 9 of them. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that of the 9 most poisonous arachnids, Australia has all of them. However, there are curiously few snakes, (though those that are there are usually deadly) possibly because the spiders have killed them all. But even the spiders won't go near the sea. Any visitors should be careful to check inside their boots (before putting them on) under toilet seats (before sitting down) and generally everywhere else. A stick is very useful for this task. Strangely, it tends to be the second class of animals (the Odd) that are even more dangerous.

The creature that kills the most people each year is the common Wombat. It is nearly as ridiculous as its name, and spends its life digging holes in the ground, in which it hides. During the night it comes out to eat worms and grubs. The wombat kills people in two ways: First, the animal is indestructible. Digging holes in the hard Australian clay builds muscles that outclass Olympic weightlifters. At night, they often wander the roads. Semi-trailers (Road Trains) have hit them at high speed, with all 9 wheels on one side, and this merely makes them very annoyed. They express this by snorting, glaring, and walking away. Alas, to smaller cars, the wombat becomes an asymmetrical launching pad, with results that can be imagined, but not adequately described. The second way the wombat kills people relates to its burrowing behaviour. If a person happens to put their hand down a Wombat hole, the Wombat will feel the disturbance and think "Ho! My hole is collapsing!" at which it will brace its muscled legs and push up against the roof of its burrow with incredible force, to prevent its collapse. Any unfortunate hand will be crushed, and attempts to withdraw will cause the Wombat to simply bear down harder. The unfortunate will then bleed to death through their crushed hand as the wombat prevents him from seeking assistance.

This is considered the third most embarrassing known way to die, and Australians don't talk about it much.

At this point, we would like to mention the Platypus, estranged relative of the mammal, which has a duck-bill, otter's tail, webbed feet, lays eggs, detects its aquatic prey in the same way as the electric eel, and has venomous barbs attached to its hind legs, thus combining all 'typical' Australian attributes into a single improbable creature.

(--As an aside, the people who bought a taxidermied Platypus back to England were thrown in jail for lying about the creature. Only later would they discover that it was a real animal.--)

The final confusing thing about Australia is the inhabitants. First, a short history: Some time around 40,000 years ago, some people arrived in boats from the north. They ate all the available food, and lot of them died. The ones that survived learned respect for the balance of nature, man's proper place in the scheme of things, and spiders. They settled in, and spent a lot of the intervening time making up strange stories. Then, around 200 years ago, Europeans arrived in boats from the north. More accurately, European convicts were sent, with a few deranged and stupid people in charge. They tried to plant their crops in Autumn (failing to take account of the reversal of the seasons when moving from the top half of the planet to the bottom), ate all their food, and a lot of them died.

About then the sheep arrived, and have been treasured ever since. It is interesting to note here that the Europeans always consider themselves vastly superior to any other race they encounter, since they can lie, cheat, steal, and litigate (marks of a civilised culture they say) - whereas all the Aboriginals can do is happily survive being left in the middle of a vast red-hot desert, equipped only with a stick.

Eventually, the new lot of people stopped being Europeans on Extended Holiday and became Australians. The changes are subtle, but deep, caused by the mind-stretching expanses of nothingness and eerie quiet, where a person can sit perfectly still and look deep inside themselves to the core of their essence, their reasons for being, and the necessity of checking inside your boots every morning for fatal surprises. They also picked up the most finely tuned sense of irony in the world, and the Aboriginal gift for making up stories.

Be warned. There is also the matter of the beaches. Australian beaches are simply the nicest and best in the entire world. Although anyone actually venturing into the sea will have to contend with sharks, stinging jellyfish, Stonefish (a kind of fish which sits on the bottom of the sea, pretends to be a rock, and has venomous barbs sticking out of its back that will kill just from the pain) and surfboarders. However, watching a beach sunset is worth the risk.

As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a dour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American.

Faced with insurmountable odds and impossible problems, they smile disarmingly and look for a stick.

Major engineering feats have been performed with sheets of corrugated iron, string, and mud.

Alone of all the races on earth, they seem to be free from the 'Grass is Greener on the other side of the fence&#8217; syndrome, and roundly proclaim that Australia is, in fact, the other side of that fence. They call the land "Oz", "Godzone" (a verbal contraction of "God's Own Country") and "Best bloody place on earth, bar none, strewth." The most irritating thing about this is they may be right.

There are some traps for the unsuspecting traveler, though. Do not, under any circumstances, suggest that the beer is imperfect, unless you are comparing it to another kind of Australian beer. Do not wear a Hawaiian shirt. Religion and Politics are safe topics of conversation (Australians don't care too much about either) but Sport is a minefield.

(--True. We didn&#8217;t care what religion Paul Keating [one of our ex-Prime Ministers] followed, but when he admitted that he &#8220;did not really care about cricket&#8221; the nation rebelled.--)

The only correct answer to "So, howdya' like our country, eh?" is "Best {insert your own regional swear word here} country in the world!"

It is very likely that, on arriving, some cheerful Australians will &#8216;adopt&#8217; you, and on your first night, take you to a pub where Australian Beer is served. Despite the obvious danger, do not refuse. It is a form of initiation rite. You will wake up late the next day with an astonishing hangover, a foul-taste in your mouth, and wearing strange clothes.

Your hosts will usually make sure you get home, and waive off any legal difficulties with "It's his first time in Australia, so we took him to the pub", to which the policeman will sagely nod and close his notebook. Be sure to tell the story of these events to every other Australian you encounter, adding new embellishments at every stage, and noting how strong the beer was. Thus, you will be accepted into this unique culture.

Most Australians are now urban dwellers, having discovered the primary use of electricity, which is air-conditioning and refrigerators.

Typical Australian sayings:
&#61656; "G'Day!"
&#61656; "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."
&#61656; "She'll be right."
&#61656; "And down from Kosciusko, where the pine clad ridges raise their torn and rugged battlements on high, where the air is clear is crystal, and the white stars fairly blaze at midnight in the cold and frosty sky. And where, around the overflow, the reed beds sweep and sway to the breezes, and the rolling plains are wide The Man from Snowy River is a household word today, and the stockmen tell the story of his ride."- The Man form Snowy River, by Banjo Patterson.

Tips to Surviving Australia:
&#61623; Don't ever put your hand down a hole for any reason whatsoever. We mean it.
&#61623; The beer is stronger than you think, regardless of how strong you think it is.
&#61623; Always carry a stick.
&#61623; Air-conditioning.
&#61623; Do not attempt to use Australian slang, unless you are a trained linguist and good in a fistfight.
&#61623; Thick socks.
&#61623; Take good maps. Stopping to ask directions only works when there are people nearby.
&#61623; If you leave the urban areas, carry several litres of water with you at all times, or you will die.
&#61623; Even in the most embellished stories told by Australians, there is always a core of truth that it is unwise to ignore.

See Also: "Deserts: How to die in them", "The Stick: Second most useful thing ever", and "Poisonous and Venomous arachnids, insects, animals, trees, shrubs, fish and sheep of Australia, volumes 1-198, 242"

And another e-mail I got. You might find it a little offensive, but hey:

ARE YOU AN AMERICAN?
The Questionnaire

1. You decide that the relationship with your partner is over. How do you break the news that you are leaving?

(a) Leave a tearful note on the table and slip quietly away
(b) Calmly discuss the reasons with your partner for your decision
(c) Attack them with a chair in front of a rabble of cheering pumped-up inbreds on national television.

2. You and your mates decide to have a game of football in the park. What do you need to take?

(a) A ball
(b) A ball and a couple of bins for goals
(c) A ball, 50 crash helmets, 4 tons of body armour, 20 cheerleaders, a marching sousaphone band with a grand piano on a trolley, and a team of orthopaedic surgeons specialising in spinal injuries.

3. You are driving along a country road when you accidentally run over a rabbit. What do you do?

(a) Stop and see how badly injured it is, taking it to a vet if it is still alive
(b) Carry on driving, but hope it is still alive, or if not, that it died quickly
(c) Strap it across the bonnet of your car and drive home hollering, whooping and throwing empty Budweiser cans out of the window.

4. You wake up in the morning with a stiff neck after sleeping in an awkward position. What do you do?

(a) Ignore it. It will probably loosen up as the day progresses
(b) Take a couple of aspirins and get on with things.
(c) Take yourself to a prostitute-addicted TV evangelist faith healer in an ill-fitting wig, who will lay his hands on your head, whilst screaming about the devil in front of an audience of gibbering inbreds.

5. What do you have for breakfast?

(a) A bowl of Cornflakes, slice of toast and a mug of tea or coffee.
(b) Glass of orange juice, croissant and a cup of coffee.
(c) A bag of donuts with ice cream, a 32 ounce steak with six eggs sunny side-up, fifteen pancakes with maple syrup, ten waffles, five corn dogs and a diet root beer.

6. You and your partner decide to take the plunge and get married. What sort of ceremony do you have?

(a). A quiet party with a few friends in a registry office
(b). A church service followed by a traditional reception at a hotel
(c). A minute long mockery at a 24 hour drive-through chapel in Las Vegas, presided over by a transvestite vicar
dressed as Elvis.

7. Your 14-year-old son is going through a difficult phase, becoming disruptive at school and reclusive at home.
What do you do?

(a) Don't worry. Its just a phase and will pass.
(b) Encourage him to get out more, get involved in team sports or join a youth club.
(c) Take him to an armoury and buy him an arsenal of semiautomatic weapons and enough ammunition to slaughter a small town.

8. You fancy a night in watching something funny on TV. What kind of comedy do you choose?

(a) A sitcom like Fawlty Towers or Father Ted
(b) A sketch show like the Two Ronnies or the Fast show
(c) A thinly disguised morality play set in a massive lounge where the audience whoop for ten minutes every time an overpaid actor with a superglued grin on his face makes an entrance to deliver a lightweight wisecrack.

9. Whilst getting ready for bed, you stub your toe on your wife's dressing table. What do you do?

(a) Shout and swear a bit, after all, it did hurt
(b) Make a mental note to move the table so it doesn't happen again
(c) Immediately call a hotshot lawyer with an uptown reputation, and sue your wife's ass.

10. You are responsible for the USA's presidential electoral process. Do you:

(a) Count all the votes and declare a winner
(b) Declare a winner once you've counted all the votes
(c) Let the press declare who's won before the votes are counted; then count only the votes which have been handed in by a deadline, whilst not checking if Bud, the hillbilly sheriff of Nowheresville, has left several thousand votes in the trunk of his Chevy 'by mistake', then force a recount of only some of the votes within just one state and allow only 12 seconds for the recount to take place; then be amazed that the recount hasn't finished by the deadline and increase the deadline by another 3.2 seconds; then ignore all votes and let 4 judges decide the result, making sure the judges all support the same candidate; then ponce around the world telling other countries how to run their own elections.

Answers... If you answered: mostly (a)'s & (b)'s then you are a normal well-balanced individual. Mostly (c)'s ? Then, do the world a favour and shoot yourself with the anti-tank weapon you carry in the glove-box of your pick-up.

Heh. I dunno. I found both of those pretty funny, and it's like they say: if you can't laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at?

Have fun. See you around.
Spartan
11/24/02 07:43 PM

I'm not sure whether to laugh or to fly down there, steal your stick and throw you down a wombat hole while commenting on how good the beer is. j/k I'm ROTFLMAO. Incidentally I answered a's and b's cause I'm a normal well adjusted psychopath, so I'm one up on most of my country.

BTW, I'll take a Guiness or Killian's over a Fosters anyday.
Spartan

Greyslayer
11/24/02 07:57 PM

'BTW, I'll take a Guiness or Killian's over a Fosters anyday.'

Even though I don't drink, if I did I doubt I would drink that watered down rubbish. Fosters sells better overseas than in Australia I think. The other beers that do better are VB (Victoria Bitter), XXXX (yep thats the brand's name, famous Queensland beer) and Tooheys just to name a few.

Don't judge Australian Beer by its exports, I think its just the way we get rid of our crap beer is by exporting it

Greyslayer
Spartan
11/24/02 11:40 PM

Well then someone please educate me and rid me of my beer ignorance because Foster's is little better, if at all, than the peewater my brethren attempt to pass of as "beer." Just what is light beer supposed to be anyway?
Spartan

Nightward
11/24/02 11:45 PM

Hehe. Good stuff.
Nightward
11/24/02 11:50 PM

I dunno. I think that refers to the amount of alcohol in there. Generally speaking you can drink more if you have "Light" beers.

Contray to the popular archetype, us Aussies are not all beer-swilling drunkards. I myself hate the taste of alcohol and generally try to avoid the stuff, except on special occasions (New Year's, State of Origin etc).
Greyslayer
11/25/02 04:27 AM

Ahhh I see you probably have gotten mixed up with what type of 'hopps?' are used in the process of making the beer. Let me tell you a little story:

During WWII beer sales dropped greatly as you would expect. Beer companies still wanting to sell great amounts of their poisonous product (well it is poisonous to brain cells ) decided to target a new grouping, instead of the young stupid men why not target those left behind by the conflict? Women had beers tailored more towards their tastes and to get this I believe they used rice rather than barley. After the completion of WWII most companies did not change their brewing methods back over. So there you have it a little story explaining why your beer is so pissweak ..

Greyslayer
Spartan
11/25/02 02:10 PM

Yeah I know that story. My point is why does it have to taste so rancid. I once didn't know better, but then I was shown the light, or rather, dark, as it were.
Spartan

Bob_Richter
11/25/02 03:24 PM

Beer *IS* rancid. As with any fermented beverage, that's a major defining characteristic...!

Bob_Richter
11/25/02 03:31 PM

>>>Perhap so, but still, choosing not to vote is still making a decision about the leadership of your nation. In this case, it's "All the politicians can go to hell. They are all the same, fail to adequately represent me and my interests, and are unworthy of the time and effort it would take me to vote for them."

Or "I'm drunk. What election?"<<<

Ah.

Well, elections are different all over.

Here in Washington (State.) we vote on ISSUES (Initiatives and Referendums) as well as IDIOTS (which is, to say, the people that, for some unknown reason, my fellow voters keep putting in office.) This has the effect that, if you don't vote, other people lower your taxes for you so that you can no longer take advantage of pubilc transportation to help save the planet. Wait. That happens anyway.

We have two parties in the US that actually matter. And, well, they're just gigantic coalitions of people who can't stand each other for the sole purpose of getting the same people elected that we've always elected.

In other words, they're not only useless, but harmful. I often refrain from voting for candidates from either one (or from the Libertarian or Green parties. They're actually insane, not just stupid or evil.)

Spartan
11/25/02 04:05 PM

Ah. Touche.
Spartan

Greyslayer
11/25/02 05:13 PM

'In other words, they're not only useless, but harmful. I often refrain from voting for candidates from either one (or from the Libertarian or Green parties. They're actually insane, not just stupid or evil.)'

Yes I have often thought members of a parliment should be strenuously tested for mental deficiencies, I certainly know a greenie or two in the australian parliment that would be struggling to pass a cursory examination . At least though the greenies aren't as bad as the member of parliment that is a reverend. He went on the television the other day and said that muslim women should not be allowed to wear their traditional dress as it could be used to hide bombs and other weapons (as if a guy wearing a trenchcoat couldn't do a better job anyway?).

Yep some real idiots get voted into power.

Greyslayer
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10201

Contact Admins Sarna.net