Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries

Pages: 1
KillerGrin
11/17/02 12:56 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anyone Play MW4 mercs yet? I mean I may be asking dumb question of the year, but as far as I know it may just be a new title, and a pretty good one at that, though.... targeting is a hideous pain in the behind as well as the hardpoint thing that limits the capacity of your mech big time.
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
HellRazor
11/30/02 04:02 AM

Just finished It. There were three different endings in the game. I do agree the the hardpoint thing sucks, but I got around it. I would have like it better if it had the MW3 mech design abilities. I hope there is a expansion for it because it is fun to play again and again..
KillerGrin
12/02/02 10:08 PM

well the endings kinda hint there will be heh shame taking the solaris route isn't a way to end the game too but here's something I noticed Why did they alter the design of the owens? I mean it looks nothing like the actual design where as in comparison the MW3 one looked exactly like it what were they smoking!
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Toastrider
12/03/02 12:16 AM

If you think that was bad, I can't imagine what you thought of MW4:V's Vulture (I actually misidentified it in the opening cinematic as an Avatar), or MW4:BK's Black Knight (I really liked the assertion that the Black Knight is a new design incorporating Omni technology. Way to go, Microsoft).

I dunno. I think the whole hardpoint system might have been a good idea for revamping some of classic Battletech's rules on Mech design. It still annoys me, but I can get around it by fielding two or three sets of weapons -- good example is the Daishi with five ERMPLs and two Clan Gauss.

I had a lot of fun in the last missions on MW4:BK. I smacked one Uller with a double Gauss and he not only fell, he -slid- across several meters like he'd been poleaxed while running. Which, I suppose, he had That's GOTTA hurt

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
KillerGrin
12/03/02 01:42 AM

another huge advantage is they finally got smart and made the jumpjets run on one! only one button none of that thrust left right foreward up crap that MW3 had, that is a simplification but a huge improvement, the downside is to get foreward momentum you must be running or moving in any diection but then if it's your lowly ppc armed medium mech versus something like a daishi why be picky. Yeh apparently the microsoft boys dont know their mechs to well but then again a game adaptation always has mistakes and strange add-ins ie the heavy gauss rifle, which I'm not quite sure if it's maximum tech or something they just made up to get players to drool at the ballistic mayhem one causes.
If you really wanna see hurtin' get the fafnir load it with two of the heavy gauses (of course) and go into the battle wave option for instant action and use it on a mech half your tonnage or less expecially in the limbs now that is some serious hurtin if the mech is a flea it just tends to explode right there which is...really cool to look at
Toastrider
12/03/02 10:48 AM

The Heavy Gauss is a weapon developed by the Lyran Alliance, since they have a love affair with large Mechs and large guns (insert Freudian zing here). It's a level 2 Inner Sphere weapon.

18 tons, 11 crits, range 6/13/20, min range 4, heat 2, damage 25, ammo 4 rounds/ton. I seem to recall something about damage dropping off at medium to long ranges, but I could be wrong -- anyone out there able to clarify on that?

So yeah, it's no wonder light Mechs come apart if you shoot them with a dual heavy gauss

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
KillerGrin
12/04/02 09:50 AM

it's fun as heck to watch though I suspect my compendium for BT predates the heavy gauss, it does still have images of the missing 21 in it. But, whats really cool is loading out your mech with six clan AC/2's it sounds weak and stupid but you gain un paralelled range and hitting power you can knock down mechs of equal or greater tonnage at ranges of 980 - 998 meters and get rid of 'em before they even can see you expecially in yhe cade of head shots or missile launcher snipings really handy. Not something I'd recommend for point blank engagements tho I mean ac/2s only do 2 mdng each and 12 total with this configuration. heh no knock down power but it sure does rip armor off real quick.
Grayson
01/13/03 11:34 AM

The real fun is to take a Longbow with six clan LRM 20's and a few med pulse lasers and rain death from afar. you get a half dozen tons of extra ammo to last a little longer. that is fun.
KillerGrin
01/13/03 05:59 PM

The issue there is folks immeidately ID you as a missile boat and aim for you first in theory it could work but in practice never works... got a massakari that does the same thing you get a big bullseye on you fast, same with the PPC boaters and the SRM fanatics. One weapon mechs tend to die as a number of folks get fed up with 'em immediately. Tho that is jus online play mind you, the computer is to dumb to notice.
CGB_Phelan77
03/23/03 11:16 PM

Well 12 SSRM-4s, or 10-12 Clan LRms will annoy anyone any day but it is fun as hell, try the Longbow in a mulitplayer, in the colisuem with a 50-60KPh and all strks almost every mech falls, I know it is cheesy but when there are 16 people in a game does it really matter? Especially in an arena.
wolfcannon
04/18/03 06:01 PM

i load my fafnir with 2 lbx-20, 2 er large lasers and about 8 er medium lasers and hit my target with an alpha strike, you think an uller sliding across the ground is fun then hit a dragon running at full speed with this loadout and see what happens. i have and its fun to see a heavy mech be blown off it feet.
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
KillerGrin
04/19/03 09:36 PM

I dunno about that... but I can tell you this, A fafnir is a large wide target... it's primary weapons are too easily hit at long range plus a poor turn and torso twist radius, not that I dont like assaults but your better off with the atlas, it's at least 'thinner' though the fafnir if you config it right ot better yet skip ballistics and use only its numerous and handy beam spaces... shame the in game fafnir much like the uziel, is configured wrongly. Just lookit Tech readout 3067 all the 'microsoft' mechs are in there.
wolfcannon
04/20/03 01:35 AM

aye its a large target and thats why i like the weopons loadout i have for mine. i tried to stay close to the original idea of a close infighting mech thats why my lance mates have long range fighting and i dont.
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Bravo Trinary
Alpha Star
Star Captain James Sword
Dog
04/22/03 09:45 AM

I'm curious, anyone know what that bloody palm print was about at the end? It was basically asking for sequel, but of what? Is it somthing WoB related? Or clan homeworld, such as the Blood Spirits?
Grizzly
04/23/03 11:30 AM

The heavy gauss rifle is from the Lyran Alliance Field Manual and is level two technology, as are RACs and an inner sphere targeting computer, both from the Federated Suns Field Manual.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
KillerGrin
04/24/03 10:44 AM

umm the targeting comp has been listed in the tech readouts since the 3050 edition and even then in the old compendium before harmony gold revoked fasa's use of the 'missing 21' 'mechs so I know the comp existed it just wasn't as big a deal I dont think. RAC's I hadn't seen in use until tech Manual 3067 tho heavy gauss as well (not a steiner fan lol) though on the same note all the 'microsoft 'mechs' everyone was moaning over are all in that 3067 though most of them do not match the crappier in-game versions dull suprise there lol who knew the uziel the real one from the readout, has no PPC's?
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 12:33 PM

Yes, if you read Endgame, Heavy Gauss' don't decrease damage close range, only accuracy.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 12:36 PM

By the way, I love my Daishi. 4 CERLL and 1 HG with extra ammo. Maxed armor and slightly upgraded speed. Terrible in close, dirty fighting, but utterly awesome at mid-long to long range.
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
TheCrusader
02/07/05 11:54 PM

actually if you read the newest Master Rules the Damage of the Heavy Gauss Dropps off as it reaches medium, and again as it reaches long. NOt sure the exact numbers
JStallion
02/13/05 06:17 PM

Quote:

lol who knew the uziel the real one from the readout, has no PPC's?

Theres a variant that is like the MW4 uziel, http://www.mechground.com/Battletechdotc...Uziel%20Ov.html
Aunduril
03/15/05 07:41 PM

Summoner with 2 ERPPCs and nothing but heatsinks and engine. Now that is what you call funny.
that and playing muitiplayer with the Clan LRM longbow and a Shadow Cat with a Narc Beacon.
"What we do in life echos into eternity. " - Maximus - The Gladiator.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
03/16/05 06:11 PM

Anyone still playing MW4 Vengeance? I do but mainly multiplayer... Haven't gotten too into mercs... Too busy with Megamek and even boredom induced rounds of mechcommander... I like the mod mekpak made for mercs but other than that it's too easily hacked it seems... Love the Infernos though, wish they were part of MW4 Veng...

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Aunduril
03/21/05 05:11 PM

Were do you find the Mod at?
"What we do in life echos into eternity. " - Maximus - The Gladiator.
Neldor
04/20/05 04:14 PM

I found that if you throw two Clan LBX AC/20's in a Mauler, add engine and ammo to taste = firepower, effectiveness, no heat problems, and speed in one nice package.
~Neldor~
If you are making a new empire and want some extra cash, go ahead and use my promotional code: Mithlond Legacy

"Who are the HoC? Well, the HoC are pretty much the same as those nuclear bombs without their own cool icon thingy."
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14572

Contact Admins Sarna.net