Mechwarrior 4 - what is everones problem?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Moody
11/21/02 04:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
well lemmie start with my back story in terms of battletech
i bought mechwarrior 2 about a month after its release and prety much instantly fell in love with all things mechie - shortly after finishing it i bought Mechwarrior 1 and a copy of the board game and since then anything mechie (cept this X-box game since i iant wasteing my money on a console (PC's are another passion here)) upon the release of mechwarrior 3 i gave a woop as the game was great and with 4 i feel that its reached its empitome of greatness (unlike most of u it seems)

ill make my stand on the 2 problems i keep seeing crop up (if there are more i havent seen ill post em and ill say what i think)

1) Aiming - well jee whiz what did u all expect its a game where u play a mech warrior they arnt computers they do need to aim and thus U need to do a tiny amount of work (for me the mouse controled the torso twist so aiming is just like a 1st person shooter) - if u dont want to aim mechWARRIOR isnt the game for u mechCOMMANDER is (alltough i have a very low opinion of mechcommander 2 one is ok)

2) Mech Setup - Best thing microsoft has done full stop
what did i annoy some hardcore board gamers out there with that? sorry then buts its tru - the current battletech system is so PLAIN - names of mechs meen absaloutly nothing a hunchback can be made too look just like anyother 50 tonne mech ie a starslayer with no work at all - the only important thing i its tonnage and its guns name meens NOTHING
with microsofts system each mech takes on a life of its own - where in Battletech a Black Knight and a Mad Cat can be equipted in the dead same way in Mechwarrior4 the Mad Cat is an allrounder allowing a mix of energy - missile and omni racks while the black knight is dependant on energy this makes em different something battletech does in name only

well i think that somes my views up - sorry if its a little flamey and apolagies for any typos i generally will have hundreds

as i said if any of u can come up with othe reaons Mech warrior 4 was "bad" post em ill reply (probably i have infrequent internet right now as im at uni)
CrayModerator
11/21/02 06:42 PM

In reply to:

where in Battletech a Black Knight and a Mad Cat can be equipted in the dead same way

Well...yeah. The MadCat is an omnimech. Of course it can match the Black Knight's loadout. The whole point of omnitech is to quickly reconfigure a mech's weaponry, like popping different missiles and gunpods on and off a fighter jet's under-wing pylons.

The Black Knight, however, cannot be easily modified unless your GM is overly lenient.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Vapor
11/22/02 06:40 AM

MW4 is the only PC game that I have played seriously out of the MW series. I had dabbled with 1 and 3, but I didn't seriously play them. I was really impressed with 4, especially the online portion of it (I never actually finished playing the game itself lol) I never had any real complaints with it, except for a few bugs that were mostly removed in patches (firing gauss rounds thru walls being my biggest complaint ) However, a number of the people that I had played with regularly complained about the fact that they didn't have to "lag shoot" in MW4. They had started out playing MW3 which had a much simpler code for the online play, and you had to lead your target by 2 to 5 times the size of his mech depending on how your lag was. With MW4, they pretty much did away with that, making it point-and-shoot for the most part.

As far as control goes, I used a joystick, and never had much trouble with aiming (and hitting where I aimed ). One of the best players I played with used a keyboard, and I never beat her in an even fight. How she did it, I have no clue, but she was good. I guess it depends on what you feel most comfortable with. I've always liked using joysticks, so that's what I used.

Another complaint I heard a lot was: "Stop legging, you fag!" or something to that effect. I hate to break it to you, but legging a mech is an extremely effective way to cripple a mech. True, it might not hold up to your ideals of honor on the battlefield, but if your mech is hurting, you want all the advantage you can get. I'm not saying that I legged intentionally all the time. But if I needed an advantage of some sort, I started shooting legs.

I agree with your statements on 'mech designs for MW4. I loved being able to come up with my own loadouts for my mechs, and I made several deadly designs, and a lot that were plain annoying. lol I got so many complaints about my 2ERLL Cougar, that I started bringing it out whenever I thought the game needed to be lightened up somewhat. lol The one thing I DIDN'T like about MW4's 'mech designing feature, is that they took GREAT liberties with it. There is no way you could fit the ammo on a MW4 'mech into an identical BT 'mech. It just isn't possible. Armor was lighter than it should have been, too. Aside from that, it was a good game. I wish I was able to play it now, but it will probably be a year or more before I get the chance to play again, and by then I will probably have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn from 50m. lol

Another note of interest: Those Madcat ears make great targets. When everyone starts complaining about the Madcat MKII missile boats, I start shooting ears. A Madcat without ears has no missiles, and a MKII sans ears doesn't have many at all. A volley of 3 Gauss rounds into a Madcat's ear will pretty much destroy it. Sometimes all it takes is 2. There isn't much armor there to protect the missile launchers. So if you're being bothered by a Madcat with lots of missiles, aim at those ears and you soon won't have to worry about those annoying beeps anymore.

Finally, a little bit of tactics: If you notice an enemy 'mech is not firing anymore, IGNORE HIM!!! If he's not shooting, it's because A) He has no weapons left, or B) He has no ammo for his weapons. If he's not shooting, he isn't a threat to you or your unit. Physical attacks in MW4 do very little damage. If you destroy his 'mech, he gets a brand-spankin' new one, with full weapons and ammo. That will hurt a lot more than a few charges. Leave the weaponless/ammoless 'mechs alone till you take out all the other enemy 'mechs, than you can worry about the guy who isn't much of a threat.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Moody
11/22/02 08:36 AM

my point was it is possible yes?
it isnt under Microsofts system
Moody
11/22/02 08:37 AM

personally i have no problems wth lag shooting in mw4 but i do have a fast comp and cable conection
Vapor
11/22/02 09:04 AM

MW4 was designed to be point-and-shoot. There is almost no need to lag shoot when playing MW4 unless the host has a crappy connection, in which case everyone suffers. Of course, the faster your computer and connection, the better off you are. I was referring to MW3 where the program did not generate hits based on where your target was in your reticule when you fired, but rather, it generated hits when the data from your shot reached the target's computer. Therefore, if you fired AT your target, as most MW4 players are familiar with doing, you would spend most of your time hitting the ground behind your target. Instead, you had to lag-shoot, aiming at where your target will BE when the data from your shot reaches his computer, instead of where he IS when you fire. It makes it much more difficult to get a hit. And just because you have a fast connection, doesn't mean it will be any easier, since your target might have a crappy connection, so you still have to lead him by a good 2 or 3 steps.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
CrayModerator
11/22/02 09:58 AM

In reply to:

my point was it is possible yes?

My point was that it was supposed to be possible to make a Madcat model a Black Knight. A Madcat is an omnimech. They can be reconfigured easily.
In reply to:

it isnt under Microsofts system

A failure by Microsoft to accurately model the game.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Moody
11/22/02 03:14 PM

ok last try

a mad cat yes is an omni mech a black knight isnt but as they are the same tonnage u can make them identicle - as u could say with a thanatos or any other 75 tonner - the NAME of a mech doesnt meen anything its just there in the back ground
with Microsofts system when u see the NAME u can instantly get an idea of what that mech is using ie a Thanatos is Balisic 75 tonner - a Black Knight is a Energy - a Mad Cat ... well is a mix as u can fit it with so many different combi's (makes it very dangerous) and so the NAME meens smething again the mech gains a "personality" that goes futher than weapons and tonnage
CrayModerator
11/22/02 05:30 PM

In reply to:

a mad cat yes is an omni mech a black knight isnt but as they are the same tonnage u can make them identicle - as u could say with a thanatos or any other 75 tonner - the NAME of a mech doesnt meen anything its just there in the back ground

If you can reconfigure a Black Knight to be the same as a primary configuration MadCat, your GM is an overly lenient slacker.

No, you cannot just go around modifying non-omnimechs in the boardgame however you want - see the MaxTech jury rigging and reconstruction rules. Yes, the name means something for non-omnis. A Black Knight in the board game is an energy boat, not whatever you want.

Mechs have personalities, even omni-mechs, in the board game. If you think you can just reconfigure them at a whim, you don't know the board game, particularly the roleplaying side, very well.

Nightward
11/22/02 09:28 PM

Weeeeeeell. Where do I start?

1. The game's premise. One Lance lands on Kentares, which is held by an elite Steiner regiment. The lance proceeds to pound the snot out of said Steiner unit. The Steiner unit also has access to Nova Cat OmniMechs (introduced halfway across the InnerSphere by Clan Nova Cat a little while before the game is set- most Nova Cat frontline units didn't even have the thing deployed yet) and the Mad Cat Mark II (which wasn't even built yet, and in any case totally contravenerd what the Timber Wolf was all about- versatility and power). The commander of the unit also just ahppens to be a Clan War veteran who is the planet's Duke. Uhhh...

2. The 'Mech design system. Those slots really annoyed me. Some OmniMech variants (particularly those of the Timber Wolf and Nova Cat) could not be made in MW4 due to the limited slots and slot types available. I also didn't like the Reactive and Glazed armmour types- those are still experimental models being tested at secret locations, not handed out like candy floss to everyone who wants some.

3. The idiocy of my friendly pilot's AI. Granted, they were a huge step up from MW3, but they are still idiots. They missed easy shots, and whenever I crossed their arcs, *I* got hit. I got back-shot by an A/C-20. I mean, c'mon...Heavy Gear 2 is a much older game with far better AI and command interfaces, and the only time I get hit by friendly fire is if I've taken Boyden Wallis and get caught in the AOE of his Bazooka.

4. Night/Day mission options. Ehhh, what? The whole point of things is that you have to go out and get things done. It was possible for me to sneak through most of the game on night ops, facing limited opposition and making large amounts of salvage.

5. There was no appreciable difference between piloting a Clan and InnerSphere 'Mech. Clan 'Mechs have better targeting systems, are more acurate, move more quickly and are more agile, etc. MicroSoft managed to get this right in MW3 but didn't even bother in MW4.

5. Targeting. That huge targeting windo really annoyed me. I prefer full-screen zooms when I target; I found I was constantly missing terrain features and damaging my 'Mech because I couldn't see what else was happening.

I just didn't like the game. It was fun to play, but it didn't fit the BT universe at all. Not that that really matters any more, the whole WoB thing and all.

But that is my opinion.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
KillerGrin
11/23/02 12:26 AM

Ok ok I'll be one of the first to say that I balked at MW4's locked targeting but then again if you tweak the control options a bit it works just fine, I mean MW4 has some advantages MW3 doesn't for one the graphics, the atlas actually is a whole lot better in appearance then the squared off bucket in MW3, but also in contrast MW3 was more like the RPG in modifying your mechs. Hard points did pretty well for MW4 especially int he case of light and mediums like the osirus, raven and wolf hound who were pretty much best left to that kind of thing. I mean who the hell wants to face down a raven with a clan tech LBX-AC20? the reactive and flective armors did suck dont get me wrong, but then... there was the point in the game where you could theoretically put that Long tom on an atlas, or load that fafnir with pure destruction. Point is, though MW4 has it's problems atleast it doesn't need a patch to get past any levels. though.... it still baffles me as to why they left out the Xl engine option, or for that matter double heatsinks... but thats a rant for another day...MW4 still beats out 3 just due to the lack of bugs.
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Moody
11/23/02 07:30 AM

1 - totally true and is one of the games faults

2 - well it is true u couldnt make some varients BUT it restricted light mechs from using dead powerful guns and provided character to the mechs

3 - yup they were idiots and it did cause me a few minutes of flustration but if u become a meglomaniac and dont let them decide what to do (ie u give them targets and when its gone u give a new one) they get better

4 - ill try that i just used night to keep my mechs cooler

5 - yup another fault microsoft got this wrong

6 - the window was too large it should have been like MW3 BUT it did the job and allowed my sniping (a diashi with 2 clan gauss rifles)

all games have faults 1 is story fault and is minor 3 and 5 are the major faults but considering the list u could come up with for MW1 thru 3 i still hold thta this is the best SO FAR hopefull 5 (should it ever be released) will be better
Vapor
11/23/02 11:31 AM

I am pretty sure that he was referring to configuring the Madcat to the same loadout as the Black Knight, not the other way around. A Madcat is an omni-mech, as both of you have stated, meaning it has a great variety of differing loadouts. The Black Knight is NOT an omni-mech, as both of you have stated, so it's loadout is more restricted. It sounds to me as though you are both arguing the same point. lol

Vapor
11/23/02 11:42 AM

I got back-shot by an A/C-20.

I assume you are referring to the LBX-20, since there are no AC-20's in MW4.

CrayModerator
11/23/02 12:57 PM

In reply to:

I am pretty sure that he was referring to configuring the Madcat to the same loadout as the Black Knight, not the other way around

Actually, I was thinking two things:
1) Moody WAS saying the other way around, that a Black Knight can be configured to be the same as a MadCat
2) Whether or not he was saying 1), he was implying there was something wrong with omnitech, as if Microsoft was right to prevent the MadCat from being reconfigured easily. And that's silly - the whole point of omnitech is reconfigurability.

Nightward
11/23/02 09:50 PM

I think " MW5" is this new MechAssualt thingo I've seen advertised for the X-Box.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Moody
11/23/02 11:05 PM

crays right i was and yes it does require a laxperson at the helm all i was saying is i get a far better feel for character when i look at MS system than the Btech

and as ive said allready the mad cat in MW4 IS a good representation as it can be equiped in many ways all powerful - its the black knight i find that was messed up and was a bad example but due to the limmited mechs (something i personally find the worst problem in MW games) ment i had to come up with a 75 tonner to match it
the problem is in MW4 BK they gave the black knight omni status when it shouldnt have but as i said i was limmited on choices of mechs for examples (should have said thanatos)
Moody
11/23/02 11:08 PM

please god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......... (scream gos on for 5 mins)

if so then bye bye quality games for Btech

last i heard either 5 or 6 was gonna be made online only but that was a while back

the end of MW4 merc hints at mw5 but it mite just be another add on pack in the works
Moody
11/23/02 11:10 PM

he may be refering to ultra autocannons as theres an inner sphere and clan Ultra AC/20
Vapor
11/24/02 02:23 AM

If there's an AC-20 in the MW4 game, it must have come out with the Black Knight expansion packet, because the heaviest AC in the regular game was a 10, though if I remember correctly, that came with an Ultra option as well. It's been a while since I played, and I wasn't able to pick up the Black Knight expansion before I was forced to quit playing. I did love those LBX-20's, though. Had a nasty Thor that used those.

Vapor
11/24/02 02:36 AM

As far as configuring a 'mech and changing loadouts go, the BT system is a lot better than Microsoft's, IMHO. For one thing, Microsoft either 1) changed the size of the ammo slots, or 2) decreased the weight of the ammo, since you could carry a LOT more ammo on a MW4 'mech than you can on a BT 'mech.

Another thing was the armor: It is MUCH lighter than BT armor, which means you can put more on. I'll give them a little bit of leeway in that it made the game a lot more exciting in that it allowed for longer fights. However, having been bitten by the BT/MW bug thru playing the BT boardgame, I prefer the limits that BT has for max ammo and armor as opposed to Microsoft's limits. But that's just me.

Finally, though,I'd like to point out that you don't have to have a 75 ton 'mech to be able to take out another 75 ton 'mech with a similar loadout. Case in point: One of my favorite designs is a Thor (70 tons) which I have used to down a handful of Daishis and Atlases in single combat. Granted, the Thor was EXTREMELY battered at the end of the fight, but it was the last one standing. Therefore, weight does not necessarily equal destructive potential. Every design has it's strengths and weaknesses. (I've never taken the Thor against a Black Knight, but I have destroyed numerous Madcats with it )

CrayModerator
11/24/02 06:42 AM

In reply to:

all i was saying is i get a far better feel for character when i look at MS system than the Btech

Seems like an inadequate sampling is the problem. You need to read the BT technical readout fluff some more. I've never seen such development in the background of vehicles as in BT, and what appears in a TR is reinforced across hundreds of pages of background text in sourcebooks whenever that mech is mentioned again. A Black Knight or Warhammer remain energy boats wherever they appear.

Diablo
11/25/02 08:05 PM

exactly. My Raven has taken out scored of Atlas opponents. (maybe it's bacaus I maxed out my speed but oh well) the weight doesnt matter. as for the loadout thing, mechs with omni should be limited to a certain class. I mean, putting a missile rack on a hand that was supposed to support a laser in it's prime configuration doesnt make sense. as for mechs without omni, same thing. ther should be limits to what a mech can load out. loading a Black Guard like a Mad CAt doesnt happen simply because it doesnt support the same weapon spaces. if you want a mad cat, get a mad car. if you want a black guard, get a black guard. none of this swtiching or re-firring stuff. besides. feild tech can only do so much in the field and it doesnt include being able to total re-fit a mech to copy an enemys. (especia lwhen clan tech is involved)
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
BroCaptMaximus
11/25/02 08:46 PM

I really didn't like the way the story line did a total 180 in the Black Knight Expansion. In MW4 you crack some Steiner skulls and win back your planet, then you give up your post as Duke to your sister so you can help Victor out in his war. Then when BlackKnight starts you are hired to go back to Kentares and remove the character you played in the previous game from power cause he(you) have become a despot.

Does that plot twist make any sense to anyone. Why would you give up your position as Duke and then turn around and kill your sister to take power?!?
Vapor
11/26/02 03:10 AM

That is one thing that I liked about Microsoft's 'Mechlab in MW4. There were few true "omni" weapons slots, and those were restricted primarily to Clan 'mechs. I can't recall seeing any on an IS 'mech, but it's been a while since I played, so I could be wrong. Most of the weapons slots were set up so you could only put a certain type of weapon in that slot. On a Madcat, for example, you couldn't put lasers or ballistic weapons in the ears, only missiles. There were a few slots that could take any kind of weapon, but most slots were type-restricted.

KillerGrin
11/26/02 04:19 PM

I think your right with the exception of the Sunder I think it had some omni slots much like most IS omnis do. though once again... that was in MW4; Mercenaries. What got me was the limitations of hardpoints, I mean you could tell what the enemy had by the mech model... you see an osirus and know it's mostly lasers , with perhaps a really light gun and a missile rack (I think). I mean it is kinda frustrating to not have the cull customizability of the MW3 game though much to be said for the creativity with whats availible in MW4. My question is... why does the LAMS suck so badly? I mean atleast in MW3 it actually stopped missiles even if it did need ammo.
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Rand_Torrick
12/02/02 10:42 PM

As an avid fan of all things Battletech, I can honestly say that it isn't the game I hate. Rather, I like Mechwarrior 4 a lot. However, I can't say the same for Microsoft...
I was very angry when I first saw the Microsoft label on Mechwarrior 3, thinking, "Oh no, another really great thing that Microsoft has to go and screw up."
Microsoft creates media frenzies, starting "revolutions" and making everyone think that if they don't hop on the bandwagon, then they'll be left behind. (Meanwhile Microsoft gets richer and more powerful.) Oh, and another thing. Microsoft software (Windows XP, Office, etc.) Is inordinately expensive. Their programs (Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer) are so bug ridden, security flawed, etc, it's not even funny. But you think they could at least respond well in these situations... instead they try to cover up security flaws. And back to Mechwarrior 4, what's with butchering the Timberwolf and creating new mechs that no one has heard of before? /rant off

But that's enough about Microsoft.

Mechwarrior 4 is a great game, very realistic; the gameplay is not too shabby. And I have no problem with the mech customization changes... ok, maybe a few problems, because it doesn't let me load the mech down with 2 Ultra AC20's. *Remembers MW3...* I could completely demolish a Mad Cat in a few shots with a Daishi armed with 2 Ultra Autocannons. ahhh.... good times, good times...
Plot is great, graphics are very smooth, and I like the expansion packs as well. Especially the colisseum. Highlander is such a bitchin' mech.

Speaking of Mechwarrior 2, I have a challenge for those who still have the game. Try to go through the whole game (Jade Falcon, Wolf Clan, or Ghost Bear, take your pick) in only a Firemoth, on Hard Difficulty. =D I've done this, and it's quite fun. All you need is 1 - 3 med pulse lasers and lots of heat sinks.

Heh, anyone know how to beat the last mission on Ghost Bear Legacy?
Carpe Diem
KillerGrin
12/08/02 11:08 PM

Well I dont mean to start a 'lil problem, but... MW4 didn't add any new mechs except the fafnir, which I'm not sure if it's something that existed in a tech manual or was a made up design. the templar did exist, though I'm not sure of which techmanual it's probably in a individual group book like the hauptman was for task force serpent, and the steiner book I think. and despite popular belief you can mount two Ultra or LBX'es on a mech I did it on a mauler so try it. though don't expect good speed just won't happen.
The hard points are, a pain yes, but... with the right mech buys you can largely ignore them ie getting a mauler fafnir or even a chimera to mount heavy ballistics .
Once again it can easily be done you just need to plan a little better I mean I came up with 13 variants for the nova cat... just to show you what can be done. give it a try in the mechlab
Countergod
01/03/03 05:39 PM

the Fafnir did exist, it was in FM:LA, but the "Microsoft mechs" in 3067 were put in by WizKids and I think were pretty bad. but that is for another rant.

btw: the Microsoft mechs are (among others): Chimira, Argus, Mad Cat II, Thanatos, Uziel, Hellspawn, and any others that say "new in this game"
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Countergod
01/03/03 05:40 PM

in the origional game, there are two story lines, if you rescue your sister and if you dont (second to last missions) I think the story line in MW4: Mercs follows the timeline if you dont rescue her.
***Chemistry is like art. One wrong move can really ruin your day!***

To: All other empire leaders
Subject: Hi Neveron
Date Sent: 7/12/3222 12:50:00 AM

May i just point out u all suck
Maj. NevLord Madman
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 20679

Contact Admins Sarna.net