Star Gate

Pages: 1
Greyslayer
11/22/02 07:20 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well according to a interview with Amanda Tapping (the blonde Major Carter in star gate) Star Gate has just started filming its final series (series 7). Comments anyone?

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/22/02 07:59 AM

The series seems to have reached the end of its arc. Now is a good time to end, before it gets too silly like Farscape was prone to do.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
11/22/02 08:04 AM

Farscape was weird from the start. I still enjoyed watching Farscape but the production and humour of Star Gate was far higher. I actually applaud the final winding down of the series though as it is (quite rightly there as you put it) it was getting on in time.

Still Farscape, Star Gate, Babylon 5 and a few spawn of Star Trek have all finished in the last couple years (or in the next year or so). What new series of any serious production values are still in production or planned to be produced to replace the now void left by these shows?

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/22/02 08:07 AM

I've been favorably impressed with Firefly. Good production values (IMO), moderately interesting plots and 3D characters, rather non-standard characters...seems good so far.

Star Trek Enterprise also works for me when I see it, though I prefer Firefly.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
11/22/02 08:14 AM

I have not seen Firefly. Enterprise was stopped being shown mid-series here for the last(?) series of Voyager (still 10:30pm on a tuesday night isn't really a prime spot) and I am pretty sure DS9 has finished as well? Dark Angel only had two series from what I have heard, we still are seeing the second series is still showing for the first time here.

Star Gate is the only Sci-Fi that gets prime time showing on Australian Free-to-air television at this time (7:30pm Thursday). Times are going to be tough for Sci-Fi fans here I say.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/22/02 08:21 AM

In reply to:

I have not seen Firefly.

Raw deal. It shows on FOX in the US, a basic (usually free) broadcast channel. It's from the makers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - it shows. www.fox.com/firefly/
In reply to:

Enterprise was stopped being shown mid-series here for the last(?) series of Voyager (still 10:30pm on a tuesday night isn't really a prime spot) and I am pretty sure DS9 has finished as well? Dark Angel only had two series from what I have heard, we still are seeing the second series is still showing for the first time here.

Wow, raw deal again. DS9 is over, Dark Angel has been canceled in the States, and the new stuff is shut down down under.

Edited by Cray (11/22/02 08:22 AM)
Greyslayer
11/22/02 08:32 AM

Yes I heard of Firefly before it entered production. A transport ship in space show apparently?

You wouldn't believe how 'non-rating' Sci-Fi shows are down here. Mostly dramas (cop dramas and soaps) and home renovation shows (gardening and renovating). That is pretty much it.

Greyslayer
Spartan
11/22/02 09:21 AM

Could be worse. You could have no TV and have to watch your movie collection over and over again. That's where I'm stuck. I don't have room in my budget right now for cable and I can't pick anything up with rabbit ears so no basic service either. Fortunately my movie collection is relatively large.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Greyslayer
11/22/02 09:32 AM

I actually don't mind the gardening/renovating shows. I don't have cable at my place (I'm trying to ween myself off the computer and do more work outside as it is ).

You could always get friends to tape the shows you really want to watch. You do have friends don't you?

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
11/22/02 10:03 AM

>A transport ship in space show apparently?

Well, a smuggler ship, but basically.

>You wouldn't believe how 'non-rating' Sci-Fi shows are down here. Mostly dramas (cop dramas and soaps) and home renovation shows (gardening and renovating). That is pretty much it.

Clearly, you need to move to America. You get more sci-fi programming AND when you get off the ship or plane, they give your own assault rifle. If you ask nicely, you can even get your name written on a bomb or missile destined to be dropped on whatever nation the Pentagon has decided Americans don't like that week.

Greyslayer
11/22/02 10:12 AM

Assault rifles are over-rated, now a .50 cal machine gun .

Seriously though I would doubt I would ever move to the states, I can hardly even consider leaving the state where I live for another state in my own country least of all moving over there ;p .

Most sci-fi series are placed on videos so if I am desperate I could always buy the videos I suppose. I know a couple of friends with basically the entire bab-5 series and one even has at least two series of Red Dwarf if I need a bloody good laugh .

Greyslayer
Nightward
11/22/02 06:30 PM

And Sport. You forget sport. That's not a complaint, mind you- State of Origin, Rugby League and Union, and, of course, the cricket.

Hey, I hear Norway, the USA, and Canada are all fielding teams for the Cricket World Cup next year. Ahaha. How funny is that going to be? USA vs Australia. Canada vs South Africa. Norway vs New Zealand....it's hammer time.

If the station's programming bothers you, there is always Cable. And that way, you get *MORE SPORT*. Begins drooling...

There are other things, though. There a re a lot of new game titles coming out soon, or you can just game on with your friends. A couple of my friends have put together a semi-regular gaming group for the holidays; we'll be playing ShadowRun, Vampire, Warhammer 40K (which I've played only once before, so we'll see how that goes) and BattleTech. Of course

And you could always play cricket with another team. Maybe you could get into the Bulls
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Spartan
11/23/02 01:58 AM

Friends? What are friends? J/K Yes I try to get them to do that but then they forget and tape over the shows I want to watch. I'm not really into the gardening/renovating shows myself but I do like the Food Network (when I had cable) and have become quite the amatuer chef if I do say so myself.
Spartan

Spartan
11/23/02 02:02 AM

You laugh about our cricket now but just you wait. Remember soccer? We used to have a "team" that would "compete" in international play. Now we have a team that can run with the big dogs on the World Cup level.
Spartan

Spartan
11/23/02 02:05 AM

.50 cal? BAH! Childs toy. Now a 25mm chain gun is a good start(that's about 1 inch for you non-metric types, including me). Then we get to move into the fun stuff. The 30mm Vulcan or the 125mm smoothbore. Then when you've learned to handle those we'll put you on the 203mm self-propelled. KA-BOOM!!!!!!
Spartan

Greyslayer
11/23/02 05:18 PM

The problem is that Cricket is a true 'team sport', this in itself will make it hard for you yanks to play properly . Also Australia is actually GOOD at it. Unlike soccer where all our good players are born in other countries and moved here as kids and now play for millions of dollars in other countries not wanting to seriously play for our country unless the lesser quality players get us to a high enough level that they can bring themselves to represent their country. Soccer only competes with grid iron over there, over here there is rugby league, rugby union and that stupid game AFL (aussie rules) for 'ball on foot' sports, we are world champions at rugby league and rugby union at the moment btw.

Cricket has no competition from baseball, and hockey despite the fact we are either world champions or in the top two or three isn't anywhere near as highly supported or played as cricket. For me in the past couple of years cricket has taken a higher priority than battletech and I get a greater amount of enjoyment out of playing this than I ever really did playing battletech. Its probably the 'team sport' thing because I really suck at the game .

As for Nightward, I wouldn't even make the Bulls 25th XI . Anyway its getting close to when I have to leave, I have a game today .

Greyslayer
Nightward
11/23/02 09:52 PM

Maybe in 10 or 15 years the US will be able to put together a team capable of rivalling Bangladesh or Kenya. Right now, though...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Spartan
11/24/02 07:45 PM

I never said it would occur quickly, just eventually.
Spartan

Karagin
11/24/02 09:20 PM

It is sad to see it go...but it has had 6 good seasons and really covered a lot ground and topics. I think it to the movie and went to the logical conclusion while adding in some interesting events along the way.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
11/24/02 11:43 PM

Eeeh...ah...

Kenya and Bangladesh have pathetic teams. I was sort of making fun of the American Cricket team again.

Yes, it will happen eventually, but the only way to get a good team is to pick a team of international-quality players and send them touring. This is what has crippled England of late; they pick a solid team, but if you make one mistake, they demote you, sending an enexperienced (if gifted) player out, who makes a mistake and starts the cycle over. If they played the same team in each match (and maybe had better luck with injuries- I think a quarter of the English team has flown home injured in the past 2 Tests) they could make the series competitive, but I doubt that they could win.

To get a good international-quality team together, bottom line is that you have to go touring. I spoke to an Indian friend of mine, who is a total cricket nut, and he tells me that the US team is not going on tour anywhere before they go in. No matter how good your local competition is, you must face international teams to be any good come game time. I'll grant that the 50-over One-Day format is different to a 5-day test, but you still need the experience. America is likely to do OK within its pool, but will get hammered when it faces one of the "World Powers" of Cricket (India, the West Indies, South Africa, New Zealand, England, or God help you, Australia).

Maybe by the next World Cup America will have a team that can go head-to-head with some of the middle-class Cricketing nations, but it will be a long time (if ever) they can compete against Australia, South Africa et al.

BUt that is all in the future.
Greyslayer
11/25/02 04:14 AM

The other day they were talking about Don Bradman's tour of the USA (I'm not sure must've been the '32 tour) where he met Walt Disney who was a big fan of cricket and ultimately the greatest cricketeer to ever live (Don Bradman), now apparently (and this is conjecture) he named the duck after Don Bradman (Donald Duck, getting out for 0 is called a duck in cricket).

Nightward is right though, its hard to perform to any level at a sport if you don't play opposition of that level. Of course some sports that are US mainstream only (such as Grid Iron there would be little expected resistance to a country side from the US and other country teams) don't necessarily suffer this problem.

Just practice isn't everything,

Greyslayer
Spartan
11/25/02 02:06 PM

>>BUt that is all in the future.

Exactly my point. Hehhehheh...
Spartan

Vapor
11/26/02 03:17 AM

I will forever be mystified by how a discussion about Star Gate turned into one about cricket.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Greyslayer
11/26/02 03:28 AM

Well lets see, once the last series of Star Gate finishes in Australia all that there will be left to watch on TV here will be cricket simple enough.

Greyslayer
Vapor
11/26/02 04:03 AM

Fair enough. All the more reason to create a fanatical BT/MW fan base in Australia, though.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
NathanKell
11/27/02 06:31 PM

I'll second that on Firefly.
Though the Glories of the Confederacy shtick gets tiring after a while...it's still the only SF I watch now.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12442

Contact Admins Sarna.net