Player Types, what are you?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MadWolf
11/30/02 06:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I figured that there hasn't been a hard strikeing question in a long time, so I am asking one.

What type of Player are you? and What type of player do you hate? (make note that MUNCHKINS are not a valid player type)

Examples : Power Players = PPC's and heat problems
Fast and Light = You pray to the dasher god!
Long Range = AC\2's and gauss are your best friend.
Close and personal = No matter how slow the mech its got to be within 3 spaces of your opponet.
Ammo junkie = If is enegry leave it at the door.
Light show = HAnd me those Mlasers
Cant stand the heat = will sacrifice firepower to keep kool.
ETC...............
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Xar
11/30/02 06:37 PM

Mix between Long Range and Heatsink Junkie. I like my mechs to be able to run/jump and fire everything and gain very little if any heat :P Of course, that running/jumping is moving towards the farthest distance I can be and still hit the other guy :P
Karagin
11/30/02 06:56 PM

I tend to fall in to all of the catogeries you listed. I try to play as the mech should be played. Just because the mech's weapons are in range doesn't mean I have to fire all of them.

Playing tactically is the key and if you are out just to win then I think you are playing the wrong game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NathanKell
11/30/02 07:53 PM

"CAS exists for a reason."
Failing that, Light Show.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
11/30/02 09:21 PM

While I'm willing and capable when it comes a 'Mech's (or lance's, or company's) preferred combat style, I generally prefer to engage in flat out, brute force slugfests. Such fights are a delight at any range (although I usually shy away from physical combat), especially when participants start riding the red line on the heat scale in order to squeeze out just a bit more firepower.

While I respect the "fluff" reasons for speed demons, I object to their large-scale use (and duels) for a couple reasons: first, the initiative rules make fast 'Mechs much more dangerous than they should be, especially in duels, and second, I get annoyed when round after round goes by with no one able to hit anything (10+ to-hit at short range? no thank you )

To sum up...give me my trusty TDR-5S Thunderbolt, and I'm happy
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
BroCaptMaximus
11/30/02 11:58 PM

I prefer mechs that have a powerful primary armament. Especially dual PPC's or Gauss Rifles; and a triple is even better (Thunderhawk). But I want them to build up very little heat when they use them so I really like Gauss weapons. I'm also really fond of missile boats especially the Viking and Archer. The thought of the enemy charging through that hail of destruction just makes my day. I have a penchant for creating custom Mechs with jump jets, good speed and close combat/short range weaponry. (Maces/Hatchets and medium lasers)

Really and truly I enjoy all the forms of Mech v Mech combat equally at different times. What I want to use depends on the tactical situation and my current mood. So I can't really say that I'm a particular type of player, I am in essence a conglomerate of all the various types.
Zwischy
12/01/02 02:05 AM

I definitely like mobile tactics - striker capability, if you will. I'll take lesser armor for extra speed and firepower almost every time. I'll admit, however, that my tactical ability doesn't always support my style of play - I think sometimes I just get too emotional (hotheaded or lazy or despondent) and overestimate my chances.
Vapor
12/01/02 02:38 AM

My choice of 'mech and loadout depends primarily on the terrain I expect to find myself in, and the goal I hope to accomplish.

In heavily forested areas, I'll go with jump jets, and mostly ballistic weapons. Probably take a flamer along to start controlled fires.

Mountainous areas call for jump jets and mostly long-range weapons, with a good medium-range weapon to use at closer quarters. LRM's are always good.

Gentle hills or plains call for a little more speed and long range weapons, especially direct-fire weapons.

City fighting means jump jets, close range weapons, and physical brawls.

I can fight equally well in all terrains, but it is the terrain that will influence my 'mech choice, if I am given one.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
MadWolf
12/01/02 04:11 AM

Ok, You all have said what you are, but the question remains, what type of player you hate,

Im the type of player that likes rideing the red line on mech and pushing the envalope, This kills alot of pilots but i uaually win the battles with that.

I hate the guys who put one mech out for slaughter and have the rest in a clump somewhere thats out of the way, too much time is spent breaking them up and with the unbalance they throw themselves into, they usually make a slow painful death forthemselves...
Vapor
12/01/02 04:36 AM

There aren't many player-types that I hate. There are a number that I dislike, but few that I hate. The one I hate the most, however, is the player who complains about everything. If he misses a shot, he wants a new set of dice. If you get a good hit on him, he wants you to reroll with a new set of dice. If he tries a DFA, misses, fails the piloting roll and falls, he wants to try it again. That kind of player drives me nuts, and thank god I've only played a couple people like that, and never more than once.

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Karagin
12/01/02 05:46 AM

The players I dislike are those who use one of the following:

Alpha Strikers...you know these folks they LOVE the computer games because they can do this all day long. And they wonder why folks get so tried of playing against them...and they act as if they aren't doing anything wrong...

Targ/Pulse Alpha Strikers...the worse of the Alpha Strikers...what's the point of playing if you can pick a location, fire and not have to worry about heat and can do this every bloody turn...I refuse to play in any game where this happens and I have dropped out at least three convention run games because of it. It is no fun when a 1/3 to 2/3rds of the other side is made of these mechs. Loophole abuses like this should be rules out by the GMs prior to running the game.

The Solaris Areana Style Combat is the only way to play, this is the player who seem to think that terrain is not needed and does his best to run out into the middle of the board and then spends most of the game either trying to hug your mech or running around in circles trying to get a back shot....this type normally has the Targ/Pulse no need to worry about heat Alpha Strike type mech as well.

These are the kinds of players that I won't game with since they also tend to be the Power Gamers who's only aim is to win and if that means ruining the game for everyone else then to them that is fine, as long as they win and no else does.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
SSFSX17
12/02/02 12:54 AM

For LVL 1 and 2 Inner Sphere, I use all speedies with all kinds of neat electronics and special ammo so that I can lay nasty traps and other things. The heaviest mech that I might use is 55 tons, and that mech would be the one with C3 Master or a single Arrow IV.

For Clan, I just load up a TC, two PPCs or GRs, and a bunch of MPLs. I know this is absolutely munchkinous, but I am the kind of guy that plays to win rather than to have fun. If I'm forced to actually use my imagination, and I can't use IS technology, then I generally use light or medium sniper-types or try to experiment with hunter-killers.

The type of player that I hate the most is the kind that just loads up a 100-tonner with a bunch of heavy stuff without any thought or consideration as to what that heavy stuff actually does.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
ChalengerII
12/02/02 05:38 PM

I hear you on that point Vapor
as to my player type it doesn't realy fit into those slots.
I suppose cautious heat sink maniac with a dash of cav commander thrown in for good messure. or thats how I plan to play if I'm not having a good day I have been know to go "ahh sod it charge the buggers".
Challenger
Zwischy
12/03/02 12:12 AM

I hate the type of plodding, win-at-all costs player who just picks a good piece of terrain with an assault Mech and just sits there firing away while you have a hard time hitting back because of partial cover and trees. Nothing wrong with playing defensively, especially in scenarios, but when it's all you do (and I game with several players who will do this if they aren't forced to attack), it gets tedious for those who try different tactics and just play to have fun.

Perhaps this stems from one too many failed attacks on an entrenched enemy position, but I'm always trying new things to see if they work. Which most of the time, they don't.
Bloodrider
12/04/02 05:57 PM

Whatever it takes to get the job done, depending on what my ride happens to be...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room..." -from Dr. Strangelove
spork
12/19/02 10:47 AM

for single mech, or lance combat, I like fast-jump capable machines, loaded with energy weapons (I hate running out of ammo). It is always fun to use small fast mechs against a player using nothing but heavies and assualts that can't jump. It is only a matter of time before I can split their forces up, and then use my small guys to concentrate on 1 target at a time. By the time they realize what is happening, it is too late to bring theri other mechs up for support, and that usually just spreads them out more.

For larger campaings, I actually set up my lances in a straight forward military fasion. I will send in spotters for my hidden artillery, or LRM mechs. After the enemy is softened up a bit, I send in my Heavies. The enemy will usually engage the heavies, and then my Light fast forces will move around and flank the sides and rear of the enemy. After that, it is just a matter of time.

As far as styles I hate... can't think of any. There are mech styles I hate, but playing styles are playing styles.
Cheapbuzz
12/23/02 06:52 PM

How about none of the above. Since every mech requires a different strategy to be usefull.
Vapor
12/26/02 03:23 AM

I'm sure that MadWolf will agree with you on that point. However, I believe his question was a little more general than that. For example, assuming a level playing field, everything else being equal, and you were able to choose any 'Mech you wanted. What category would your choice of 'Mech put you in?

Cheapbuzz
12/26/02 04:57 AM

As long as I have a gauss rifle and a buttload of meduim lasers I'm pretty much happy.
Alex_Kerensky
12/26/02 11:03 PM

Well, I think I am one of those Heat freaks. Whenever I mod an Omni or pick a variant, I go with the one that is the most heat effecient. I do not know why, but I have always felt that a 'Mech which cannot fire all its weapons without overheating is pretty ineffective. My view is probably, no it IS, flawed, but oh well.

That is the only hard-fast characteristic that describes me. If the other 'Mech is packing short-range weapons, I stay at long range. If he is packing LRMs up the butt, then I go to SR.

However, I do have a preference for faster 'Mechs. Generally, I prefer 5/8 and 6/9, but I will go with 4/6 assault machines. I have been and seen too many battles that ended badly because a 'Mech was too slow.

I do hate players who just slap on as many PPCs or AC/20s or what-not onto a Dire Wolf. It is really boring and turns the game into a simple slug-fest. You know how it is: I move some hexes, you move some hexes. You fire, I fire. Great fun. I prefer the games like: I jump over the cliff, you cannot target me. That sort of thing.

Ah! MadWolf, you are from Ohio? What part, if I may ask? I am from a bit north of Cincinnait.
"The fool gives full vent to his anger, but the wise man keeps himself under control."
--Proverbs 29:11 NIV
spork
12/27/02 12:16 PM

I am in Columbus, OH
MadWolf
12/27/02 05:27 PM

I am in Hamilton If you know where that is...
MadWolf
12/27/02 05:30 PM

Yep, id hate to see someone try and play a RD-1 Roadrunner like it was an Awesome.... that pilot would really have to have a want to prove somthing...
Zwischy
12/27/02 06:23 PM

Sure, a GR and some lasers with the mobility of a medium? I'll take that anyday. Though, of course, an ER PPC would give you unlimited ammo. :P
Alex_Kerensky
12/30/02 10:25 PM

MadWolf, you are in Hamilton, quiaff? I live like 5 mins away from Hamilton, now that Rt. 129 has been built...
"The fool gives full vent to his anger, but the wise man keeps himself under control."
--Proverbs 29:11 NIV
MadWolf
12/31/02 03:48 PM

You ever hang out at cincinnati Sci-fi?????
Cadet
01/08/03 12:24 AM

I can play with whatever strengths a 'Mech has, but given a preference, I want long range. The PPC and Heat Problems would be closest to me. It helps that I'm not scared of building up heat or "Riding the Red."

I think it is very telling that I can blow roll after roll for to-hit, but never blow it for heat stuff. I can't tell you the number of times I've been at 27+heat and still haven't blown an ammo roll or shutdown.
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
01/09/03 03:06 AM

There's always a first time for everything, and when it comes, it'll prolly be a doozy.

Cadet
01/09/03 03:14 AM

I'm sure. And given how I disable auto eject...well, I'm glad that mechwarrior is just a piece of paper ;-)
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
01/09/03 03:36 AM

lol True, true. Though I must say there is some satisfaction in seeing the enemy pilot sprayed all over the countryside.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 28929

Contact Admins Sarna.net