REVIEW: MWDA Ghost War

Pages: 1
Toastrider
12/19/02 11:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
WARNING

The following post may contain spoilers. If you do not wish to have parts of the book given away, please do not continue.

You've been warned, now don't cry to me if you keep reading

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Toastrider
12/19/02 11:30 PM

MechWarrior Dark Age: Ghost War
by: Michael Stackpole

'How I learned to stop worrying and like MWDA'.

I imagine that sentence will confuse a lot of folks here, especially the ones that I've been arguing with in separate threads. Keep in mind I never had anything against going back to basics, as I've stated before; I just didn't like how FASA handled it, as it seemed to be a deus ex machina.

That being said, Stackpole handles things with his usual skill, so I can't find too much fault in the book. He wisely doesn't try and get into details of the Jihad, covering brief points as needed from the perspective of the protagonist, Mason Dunne. It's a slightly different writing style from Stackpole's usual fare, but it goes down well.

Classic BattleTech fans will be pleased to find out that not everyone from the old storyline was brutally massacred, including one old friend whose appearance surprised even me I won't give it away here, but I suspect some people will be totally pissed off to find out that he didn't die in the Jihad.

Stackpole also lays the groundwork for future books and conflicts, including speculation on the perpetrators of the HPG collapse and the coming problems the Republic faces. It's a good primer for the Inner Sphere in the 32nd century. One note of interest: there were color inserts in the book depicting a couple 'Mecks, tanks, and battle armor, a la the Technical Readouts. TR3130 possibly on the way? Could be, according to CBT's website.

Not QUITE up to par with the Warrior Trilogy, but I've seen worse from other writers. At the very least, worth reading and waiting to see what crops up next.

--Toasty
Bob_Richter
12/20/02 08:33 AM

>>>Not QUITE up to par with the Warrior Trilogy,<<<

Not the best reccomendation I've heard for a book.

Then again, I take it you actually LIKED the Warrior Trilogy (despite the fact that several of Mike's basic writing skills were Under Development, and It Shows) for some reason.

I need to get this book, and not just because I've become a semi-obsessive Stackpole fan recently.

-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
The_Nice_Guy
12/20/02 02:27 PM

To me, it simply did not feel as good as Stackpole's previous works because for once, he's working with a more close up and personal look into the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe, where before he dealt mostly with the movers and shakers. Maybe we're too used to a particular style from him?

I feel there are other writers who can do this sort better than him, but not as good when it comes to the big events.

Still, like you said, it is not the worst, which I completely agree with. Gressman and Thurston's books come to mind...

A solid C+.

The Nice Guy
Beyond common courage. The mark of a true soldier.
Toastrider
12/21/02 12:32 AM

Gressman wasn't too bad, but Thurston obviously never played BattleTech. Ever. That was the only way I could explain the weirdness of his battle scenes.

And novels like Path of Glory and Star Lord were just -bad-.

--Toasty
Bloodrider
12/21/02 01:25 AM

Buy it, read it. It's good.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room..." -from Dr. Strangelove
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3844

Contact Admins Sarna.net