Skills?!?

Pages: 1
Grizzly
12/27/02 05:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey everyone! I just got MW4 and MW4Mercs, and went online to play someone the other day. I had the game set for a maxium of 80 tons, heat sinks, limited ammo etc. I was waiting for my nephew to join my game, when somebody joined up and asked if I would set the tonnage limit to 100. When I asked why, he said that he wanted to use his "custom" Daishi. When I queried him about not using lighter tonnages he told me that "he would look me up again when I had enough skill to fight him". How arrogant!! Granted I am new to online play, but I have played MW2, MW2Mercs, and MW4 before, plus I have played the table top since about 1986. How dare that person tell me I have no skill because I don't care to play some uber Daishi. Geeze lets have a little variety for goodness sakes! Sorry for the vent, but I was wondering if you guys run into to this as well. Thanks!!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
KillerGrin
12/27/02 07:11 PM

heh where do those guys come from? feh it's easy to operate a 100 tonner.. I mean you move slowly have lots of guns and basically pray your armor lasts longer then the opponents. Bet that guy would get massicured in a light mech match heh... in any event if you ever want to go at it just ask... though I have yet to do an online game... I'd love to try it... the computer is just too predictable
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Toastrider
12/27/02 11:52 PM

This isn't exactly uncommon. Some players prefer to load up on the biggest chassis they can get, and try and outgun the competition. Not quite as annoying as cheaters and hackers, but close.

I admit to liking assault chasses myself, but I'm actually more fond of the Mauler (90t) than the Atlas or Daishi. And there's something to be said for driving a fifty-five ton Ryoken at top speed and blazing away like you're in a BattleTech movie as envisioned by John Woo

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
KillerGrin
12/28/02 12:10 PM

theres also something satisfying about wiping a dashi out with a hunchback... and yes it can be done... it's just that much more of a victory the rare times you pull it off
"Hah! nothing says hello like a freshly removed limb, 'specially if that limb was attached to a clan masakari, and your modified annihilator just did the elective surgery.." -Steelrain
Vapor
12/29/02 02:14 AM

To be honest, MW4 assault 'Mechs are the class I am poorest at. Give me a light, medium, or heavy, though, and I am in my element. I have a custom Thor that has destroyed many 'uber' Atlases and Daishis.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
KillerGrin
12/29/02 09:26 PM

heh the cheap and effective way to do that with a smaller mech is obviously to leg the crap outta your enemy, but they I would assume whine and call it cheap... heh.... I bet it's not cheap when they're doing the legging or for that matter the same goes for head shots...
Vapor
12/30/02 10:51 AM

I have to respond to your post. Honor demands it. I never intentionally leg an opponent. True, it does sometimes happen in the heat of battle, but I do not intentionally aim for legs. Yes, I may aim for arms or shoulder mounted weapons, but legs never.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Nightward
12/30/02 09:13 PM

Not even in single-player missions, where legging is the best way to get a salvageable 'Mech?

Personally, I always aim at the legs. They aren't all that heavily armoured, and it's a garuanteed way to take them down. That being said, I don't pilot a Shadow Cat with 56 ER Small Lasers, either...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
MadWolf
12/31/02 04:02 PM

Hey i play MW3 and piloting a owens Chassis decked out with small lasers and a Targeting computer is quite fun. I call the variant "scalded Chicken". But its only fun if your going up aginst alot of thors or a bunch of supernovas. The idea is to leg because with all the weapons usually comming within an inch of killing you, you really have no hope if you get hit. Owens and Large lasers dont mix well. As far as actual gameing goes, Aim for that big bulky torso and just Pound the hell out of it. Usually keeping up close with autocannons.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Optimus_Prime
12/31/02 06:26 PM

lol i havent gone Online yet with MW:4 but tonight i will go online and ill be driving my Mad dog up and down Atlas and Daishi's and Novacats with my PPC's and LLasers

http://2845.mechnex.net
The Cybrids are coming, will you be ready?
KillerGrin
01/02/03 11:03 PM

I have to say.... I've been running a lot of online games as of late... dun seem to work... I happen to favor a hunchback and beleive me... remiving limbs keeps you alive especially against things like atlases, dashis, and masakaris... the bign'us tend to have weps there and if not... cap 'em at the knee!
Diablo
01/21/03 02:42 PM

my personall favorite stratigy is to use my Osiris and load on only 1 large laser, then max out my speed. my tactic wokres especially well in cities where you only have a fraction of a second to target and fire. I just loop around buildings and hit people from every angle. I took out 3 waves of 4 atlases in single player, with only a minor laser burn on my torso. my second favorite is using a a raven as a sniper mech in wooded/mountain terrain. ah, the joy of beheading my opponents whilest they try and find my radar signature. and my thrid tactic would be to slug it out with something around 80 tons. say an Awsome. and slightly up the speed on it. running slightly faster than your opponents 100tonners while incinerating armour with PPC's will stop anyone from underestimating me.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Neldor
04/20/05 04:28 PM

Well tactics are kindof something to be considered and I have to agree with everyone here on this: When I'm flaming mad and want to kill something I will target it's legs. Using good aiming to take out spacific places on mechs is what MechWarrior is all about, you get good at piloting and shooting and you'll be a match for any mobile turret in a much smaller more capable mech.
~Neldor~
If you are making a new empire and want some extra cash, go ahead and use my promotional code: Mithlond Legacy

"Who are the HoC? Well, the HoC are pretty much the same as those nuclear bombs without their own cool icon thingy."
Lone_Wolf_Radick
04/23/05 08:24 AM

okay, I just had to get in on this... I've been running the tabletop game for years, and every single variation thereof (nearly, excluding crescent hawk's revenge) and I must admit to being a mech pilot online for both MW3 and 4... no mercs of yet, but to the pilot who wanted his "custom" Dire Wolf and nothing else- I say bring that pig up against my "custom" Cauldron-Born and see how many kills you merit... I routinely run a CB brawler variant that, without legging (the clan I belong to frowns upon it), can sink an atlas or a dire wolf in a few salvos, or at least core it's CT and leave it armless. If I *Had* to run an assault, it'd be a Warhawk or a Kodiak because of the toughness and the variations you can mount, but I'd rather a nice CB or a Summoner or a Timberwolf... If I *had* to run IS mechs, I'd take a Hunchy or a Highlander or a Bushwacker. MW4 has de-volved of late into a standoff-ish type game where players sit in the biggest thing they can smash Gauss rifles and PPC's onto and fire pot shots at one another with the radar turned off... This, to me, stains the image of what mech combat should be... Give me two or four heavies jumping and pounding it out point blank amidst a ruined city, LBX's, flamers, and SRM's everywhere... But I digress... I'm glad to see there are more players coming back to Veng and Mercs and hope to see you afield soon, especially those that prefer a little variety... God knows we have more than enough 100 ton Gausszillas as it is...

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Sesshomeru
04/26/05 12:34 AM

I like the black Knight loaded up with large lasers and jump jets and just run around my opponent and pick off at his CT and nothing else.I have taken down many assaults with my BK and most of the damage was concetretated on the CT wit a little bit on the side torsos. For some reason in MW4: Mercs I just can't seem to sink any head shots nomatter how hard I try. The few times I got headshots was at about 600 meters when I was aiming for their CT, and it has only happened like twice.

PS: I haven't played for a couple months so if I do join online it'll take me couple hours to regain my skill/luck. And I got to get MW4: Mercs back from my friend.
With each kill I grow wiser and with that knowledge I grow stronger.
-Artemis Entreri

Edited by Sesshomeru (04/26/05 12:36 AM)
Lone_Wolf_Radick
04/29/05 09:14 AM

Hey, come on into the Vengeance open servers anytime (mainly because nobody runs BK servers anymore unfortunately) and I'd be happy to lock horns with or against you...

-Wolf
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8654

Contact Admins Sarna.net