Chances of a Kurtia Civil War.

Pages: 1
Karagin
01/23/03 09:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Do any of you think a Kurtia Civil War could happen?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
masdog5
01/23/03 10:37 PM

At the current time, I doubt that there could be a Kurita Civil War. Theodore is a strong, able ruler, and if something happens to him, it appears that Hohiro is capable and, at his father's direction, gaining political experience by working in the civil service.

After that, however, the line of succession appears sketchy. I doubt Minoru would be fit for the thrown, seeing as how is too much of a mystic and a bondsman of Clan Nova Cat.

In the time of MW:DA, though, it seems possible that a Civil war could occur. From what I have been reading on the comstar site, it appears that the Dragon is considerably weaker. It hasnt given much more information than that, though.
Karagin
01/23/03 10:41 PM

What do you think could trigger a civil war in side the Combine?
Karagin

masdog5
01/23/03 10:54 PM

Well, most of the Coordinator's family would have to be wiped out, leaving the District Govenors to fight over who gets the position.
Karagin
01/23/03 10:55 PM

Wow...that was right to the bone! I was thinking you would have mentioned something about Omi's child from Victor or something like that...
Karagin

masdog5
01/23/03 11:06 PM

That child would probably have a better chance of sparking an interstellar war if it made a move for the three thrones it could make a claim for.

Of course, we dont know much about the kid, so we dont know whether or not it will end up being a warrior or even desiring the throne of any nation.
Cadet
01/24/03 12:15 AM

Not unless Teddy and Hohiro got popped.

Now in a power struggle between Teddy and Takashi had the Clans not shown up? Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Hint,hint
Does not play well with others.
Toastrider
01/24/03 12:16 AM

According to Ghost War, certain elements within the Combine were actually backing Kitsune Kurita (Vic's son) as a rival to Hohiro. This lasted up till Kitsune's public acknowledgement of Victor as his father, during his Knighting. Needless to say, that movement died like a vampire exposed to solar radiation.

If we're talking pre-MWDA (say, 3067), you'd still need to wipe out Theodore, Hohiro, and probably pick off Minoru as well for safety. At that point the succession gets kind of murky, which leads to civil wars. You -might- be able to put Franklin Sakamoto (Theodore's illegitimate son) on the throne, but he publicly renounced any claims to the position of Coordinator, so that's iffy as well.

In any case, if Kitsune's behavior in the Ghost War novel is any indication, he has no inclination to try and claim any throne except for the command couch of his 'Mech. Which is not to say that he might not make a decent ruler; I just don't think he'd be interested in the job.

Here's an interesting question, though: where was Kitsune stashed after his birth and who saw to his education? Obviously, Theodore could not publicly acknowledge or offer direct assistance to Kitsune; he didn't need any more crap, especially after the stunt the Alshain Avengers pulled.

My guess is that Theodore put Kitsune into the hands of Franklin Sakamoto. Franklin could keep his mouth shut, educate the child properly, and would have a pretty unique perspective on Kitsune's birth, being born out of wedlock himself. Judging from events in Black Dragon, I daresay Sakamoto might be the one man Theodore could trust with his grandson.

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Karagin
01/24/03 12:24 AM

I was leaving when up to you guys...be it next year or 20 years ago game time wise...just seems that the Combine has less civil wars then any of the other houses.
Karagin

Karagin
01/24/03 12:28 AM

You do raise an interesting question there about who raised Theo's grandson...
Karagin

Cadet
01/24/03 12:43 AM

I think the Zabu Kurita example is why. When the military shows up to the Coordinator and says they have no faith, he kills himself, or they do it for them, rather than duking it out publically.

I will tell you in the thing I'm writing up, because everything since around 1992 has just been that bad, that since the Clans don't show up sooner or later the FedCom and Kurita has War of 3039 2: Electric Boogaloo and it doesn't go well for Kurita, mostly because of Takashi's interference. There is a struggle between forces loyal to Takashi and those loyal to Theordore. It isn't a Civil War as much as a war in the shadows, since neither side wants to let the FedCom have an advantage.
Does not play well with others.
Nightward
01/25/03 06:14 PM

There are two reasons that the Combine has never had a major civil war (the Ronin War notwithstanding):

1. You can count the number of books set in the Draconis Combine on the fingers of one head. Few boks have been devoted to the Combine; 99.99999% of them have been about the Federated Commonwealth. The other .00001% is split between the Clans, the Free Worlds League, and the Combine. A civil war would have diverted attention from FASA's flagship nation(s).

2. It's just not in the character of the Draconis Combine. Sure, there are reactionary elements like the BLack Dragons, but the overwhelming number of DC citizens are completely devoted to the Combine, if not to the Coordinator and will do nothing to hinder their nation. Just look at what happenined on Tishimingo...

As for the power struggle between Theodore and Takashi, that had largely been settled. Theodore was Gunji-no-Kanrei and in charge of the military, save the Sword of Light and Otomo regiments, which always report to the Coordinator, and Takashi was in charge of everything else. Takashi had seen that his way of doing things militarily would no longer work in the changing face of warfare and that if he wanted to be the ruler of anything he would to let Theodore run the defence of his nation.

So unless the Black Dragons got real lucky and whacked Theodore early on (like before he met his wife and had children) te probably would never have been a civil war. If it had happened, however, their could have been competition from Isoroku or one of the other high-placed Kuritas. I doubt anyone else could have garnered enough support without the Kurita name behind them.

As an aside, Karagin, can you not spell properly, or are you taking a swipe at the Combine?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
02/18/20 11:47 PM

So this is an old thread, yes I had to bring in a Lovecraftian level necromancer for this one, with what we know now, and the changing landscape of the Inner Sphere is the chances of a Combine Civil War possible?
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6222

Contact Admins Sarna.net