D20 Conversion?

Pages: 1
zensunni
02/05/03 11:01 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm thinking about using the Traveller T20 rules with some minor modifications as a new rules base for a MechWarrior campaign, and am wondering whether anyone's done a similar D20 conversion.

Thanks,
CrayModerator
02/05/03 12:19 PM

Nope, and I wouldn't pollute MW with d20.

There seems to be some d20-MW supporters on CBT.com, but the threads involving those discussions tend to be flame heavy.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
02/05/03 05:24 PM

It's up to you. I would note though, that everything in MW3 has already been set up around a 2D10 Action Check system and you'd have to re-write every single rule (or just plagarise Traveller).

I am very lazy, so I'd suggest just using the MW3 rules. But that's just me.

As the GM, it's your responsibility to make gaming a fun experience for your group. So as long as everyone understands the rules system and is enjoying themselves, that's all that matters.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
zensunni
02/06/03 03:30 AM

Why would I need to re-write every single rule? Why would I need to "plagarize" Traveller? These seem to be very strong comments, leaning towards scare tactics, to keep me from trying (and liking?). Perhaps I'll just post my mods to this forum once I'm done and have playtested it a few times.

Traveller T20 is a generic rules-set for a hard-science fiction RPG, where the PCs are no more "heroic" than anyone else (more like MW 1st ed than later ed's where they made the PC a few notchs above everyone else). The system as-is fits very nicely into the MW universe with very minor modifications. It already has rules for gunnery and piloting various things, so all I need to do is add a few specific specific skills and feats for BattleTechs. Personal combat is VERY lethal (whether you're 1st level or 20th level, you're likely to be dead after taking two to three shots).

Re-writing every rule, or plagarizing Traveller, is definitely NOT required. While T20 does have an extensive history to it's "default" universe, the rules (as were the very first Traveller rules) have been set-up specifically to fit into any hard-science RPG. Some things may need to be tweaked, others dropped, still a few more added, but the system was created for this and to make this easy.
CrayModerator
02/06/03 05:13 AM

In reply to:

where the PCs are no more "heroic" than anyone else

Inner Sphere Mechwarriors are (numerically speaking) 1-in-a-100 million individuals. Allowing the PCs to be "heroic" seems fitting. I mean, when there's trillions of people in the Inner Sphere and tens of thousands of mechs, average joes ain't going to be piloting mechs. The same applies to virtually any frontline combatant position in a House (or merc) military unit.
In reply to:

The system as-is fits very nicely into the MW universe with very minor modifications

Except for that archaic class/level part. D20 wouldn't be bad at all if it had ditched an RPG concept that was dead a decade ago. The skill/combat system of D20 is certainly fine.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
02/07/03 02:12 AM

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Calm down and re-read the post.

All I was trying to say was that a D20 has a 1/20 chance of coming up any particular result, so you can't just grab a copy of MW3 and use a D20 instead of 2D10 because the statistics are different.

Secondly, as I said, you'd have to be pretty hard-core to go out and write up a rules system when there is one already available. It's just so much easier. More expensive, certainly, but hey. Everything has a downside.

Even modifying an existing system is a fair bit of effort.

Like other RPGers, I *LOATHE* and *DETEST* level-based RPGs. I am 1 EXP from my next level. Walking along a pathway, I happen to see a bug crawling around. Knowing that each bug I kill is worth 1 EXP, I kill it and suddenly ascend to my next level, gaining X hit-points on the spot as well as developing better fighting skills and special abilities if I'm lucky. Eh? It just doesn't make any sense...

I prefer games like ShadowRun and MW3 where you get "Exerience Points" that you spend to improve yourself instead of waiting to hit the next "Level". Again, that's just me.

Personal combat should always be lethal. Unless the opposition has has guns with "Bang!" flags. The MW3 system, whilst not perfect, isn't too bad either.

As Cray said, MechWarriors are supposed to be more heroic than anyone else. In a universe of trillions upon trillions of souls, only a few thousand become 'MechWarrors. Thats a much lower hero:general population ratio than any other game. Assuming you're using 'MechWarriors. If your group wants to RP a travelling circus, well, then it might be different

Finally, as I said before, as long as everyone in your group understands the rules and is having fun, your job as GM is done.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
zensunni
02/07/03 03:48 AM

In reply to:

Inner Sphere Mechwarriors are (numerically speaking) 1-in-a-100 million individuals. Allowing the PCs to be "heroic" seems fitting. I mean, when there's trillions of people in the Inner Sphere and tens of thousands of mechs, average joes ain't going to be piloting mechs. The same applies to virtually any frontline combatant position in a House (or merc) military unit.

When I said that PCs are no more heroic, I suppose I should have clarified. Certainly a Mechwarrior (whether PC or NPC) will have access to things that "the average joe" doesn't--like Mechs, and how to use'em!

But I'd argue that this in itself doesn't make them any more "heroic"-- just lucky to be a MechWarrior. And compared to another MechWarrior, s/he should be on roughly equal ground. S/he shouldn't inherently (because s/he's a PC) be able to withstand more damage, deal more damage, nore learn more things. S/he should be no less "mortal" than anyone else; s/he should die just as easily from gunshots as the next guy.

This, I suppose, is more closely what I meant by PCs being no more "heroic" than NPCs--they're not "superheros" (although the "average joe" probably would consider them to be).
zensunni
02/07/03 04:53 AM

In reply to:

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Calm down and re-read the post.

All I was trying to say was that a D20 has a 1/20 chance of coming up any particular result, so you can't just grab a copy of MW3 and use a D20 instead of 2D10 because the statistics are different.

Ah, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said, "I'm thinking about using the Traveller T20 rules with some minor modifications as a new rules base for a MechWarrior campaign."

No where did I say I was going to us MW3 rules and use a D20 instead of two D10's.

And any use of the word "plagarize" is likely to quickly heat the discussion.

In reply to:

Even modifying an existing system is a fair bit of effort.

Very true, which is why I asked if anyone had already done it. I had the selfish intent of hopefully learning from someone else's experience and benefiting from his/her playtesting.

If not, I'll do it myself (which seems to be the case).

One of the reasons I've chosen to go with T20 rather than buy MW3 is because the rules-set is based on D20, which will make it easy to teach others in my group who are already familiar with the rules (I'm going to teach them CBT for the occasional Mech battle, which is more teaching than I care to do without a license!).

In reply to:

Like other RPGers, I *LOATHE* and *DETEST* level-based RPGs.

I think it would be more realistic to add "some", or even "many", before "other". As is, your statement "assumes too much".

In reply to:

I am 1 EXP from my next level. Walking along a pathway ... and suddenly ascend to my next level, gaining X hit-points on the spot as well as developing better fighting skills and special abilities if I'm lucky.

This advancement in the middle of an adventure certainly isn't an inherent part of a level-based system; nor do I even think it's the default for DnD 3e (though I'd have to check--I've certainly never PLAYED that way--I've always played that XP is given at the end of the adventure, which precludes this). And DnD 3e clearly allows for a "period spent training" requirement btwn levels (though I don't care for this rule). I believe at the very least you're supposed to "go home", recuperate and contemplate to take advantage of the increase in xp (again, this is how I've always played).

In reply to:

I prefer games like ShadowRun and MW3 where you get "Exerience Points" that you spend to improve yourself instead of waiting to hit the next "Level". Again, that's just me.

Even in these games, you can choose to spend the points quickly (possibly even in the middle of a session? horror!) after earning them thereby gaining a little advancement, or save them (not sure if you can in Shadowrun or MW3, but you can in SW D6, the only non-lvl-based game I've played recently enough to comment on) and increase a bunch of things at once (in effect, the basis for a lvl-based rpg).

Any RPG must take into consideration character advancement. Whether it's lots of little steps (as is usual in Shadowrun, MW3, or SW D6), or fewer big steps (like in D20), the end result is basically the same. Some prefer the former, some the latter; I don't have a particular preference for one over the other, as they both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I enjoy playing both types of games.

In reply to:

Personal combat should always be lethal. Unless the opposition has has guns with "Bang!" flags. The MW3 system, whilst not perfect, isn't too bad either.

And it certainly is in T20.

Take a look at this post that I just sent to a CBT forum regarding this.

In reply to:

As Cray said, MechWarriors are supposed to be more heroic than anyone else. In a universe of trillions upon trillions of souls, only a few thousand become 'MechWarrors.

See my response to Cray.

In reply to:

Finally, as I said before, as long as everyone in your group understands the rules and is having fun, your job as GM is done.

Exactly why I'm going to try a conversion to T20.

In any event, I certainly didn't mean to bring this to a debate, as I've seen enough flame wars about D20 in BT/MW forums on the CBT board. My intent was only to discover whether someone had already tried the conversion and had any pointers (if not a full-fledged conversion doc) to share.
CrayModerator
02/07/03 05:30 AM

In reply to:

But I'd argue that this in itself doesn't make them any more "heroic"-- just lucky to be a MechWarrior.

With the days of the personally owned mech waning, it isn't luck involved in mechwarrior selection, it's physical and mental testing. Idiots and klutzes shouldn't become mechwarriors. This doubly true for Clan warriors, true and freeborn.
In reply to:

And compared to another MechWarrior, s/he should be on roughly equal ground. S/he shouldn't inherently (because s/he's a PC) be able to withstand more damage, deal more damage, nore learn more things. S/he should be no less "mortal" than anyone else; s/he should die just as easily from gunshots as the next guy.

This, I suppose, is more closely what I meant by PCs being no more "heroic" than NPCs

First, compared to another mechwarrior...fine, no comment.

Second, compared to everyone else...tell you what, how about I beat on you with brass knuckles for a while, and then beat on an elite, 1-in-a-billion soldier for a while and see who falls down first? The difference between you and the soldier might not be significant vs. bullets, but I suspect a "commando" (to use a generic super soldier term) would be able to handle more physical abuse (in some form or another) than you.

And he would be stronger and faster than you and at least 90% of the population. And would have above average intelligence.

Saying BT military PCs should be comparable to NPCs when NPCs includes the trillions of farmers and average yokels in the Inner Sphere just doesn't work for me. I don't buy it. If you want to be an average human, fine, just don't expect to be a mechwarrior, who are 1-in-100 million individuals.

On topic: no, I don't know anyone who's made a D20-MW conversion. Have you tried a google search? I know the topic has come up now and then.

Edited by Cray (02/07/03 05:34 AM)
CrayModerator
02/07/03 05:41 AM

In reply to:

Any RPG must take into consideration character advancement. Whether it's lots of little steps (as is usual in Shadowrun, MW3, or SW D6), or fewer big steps (like in D20), the end result is basically the same. Some prefer the former, some the latter; I don't have a particular preference for one over the other, as they both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I enjoy playing both types of games.

You seem to have some experience (pun intended) with d20. I admit to using it for DnD - I usually don't mind it for fantasy RPGs, especially when the setting material (Book of Vile Darkness, Guide to Hell, etc.) that the players like was intrinsically linked to DnD.

So, here's the situation that came up: a PC is stuck on a wizard's ship for months. He has nothing to do, no monsters to fight, just sit and read on the wizard's library's subject (mostly astronomy/astrology). In d20, how would I have the PC raise his skill in "Lore: Astrology"? He was a good 10K experience points from leveling. Is the only way to raise a skill in d20 to give the PC another level?

At the time, that was the only answer I could find in a frenzied search of the rule books, and it was an annoying answer. In SR (and other skill-based systems), I could've awarded karma (or whatever) on the spot and let the PC spend the karma on his astrology knowledge skill.

CrayModerator
02/07/03 05:58 AM

In reply to:

Nightward wrote:
am 1 EXP from my next level. Walking along a pathway, I happen to see a bug crawling around. Knowing that each bug I kill is worth 1 EXP,

*IF* the bug is a challenge to defeat, you can get XP in 3E DnD. But it isn't automatic XP. Pouring a pot of boiling water on ant hill won't give you 10,000 XP anymore. See the challenge rating/XP chart on ~pg165 of the DMG.
In reply to:

Zensunni wrote:
Even in these games, you can choose to spend the points quickly (possibly even in the middle of a session? horror!) after earning them thereby gaining a little advancement, or save them (not sure if you can in Shadowrun or MW3

SR and MW3 both definitely enable you save up karma/XP. Given skill and attribute prices vs. karma awards, advancement would be impossible otherwise.

As for advancing in the middle of a session (for any game)...that depends, doesn't it? A PC with "downtime" in the middle of a session, like a month of voyaging on a ship or a week while awaiting input from contacts, is plenty of time to train and raise (some) skills.

Even then, I'm prone to allowing PCs to reap HP rewards (if nothing else) mid-combat in d20 and let SR PCs raise some skills mid-run if they've been using those skills heavily in the session.

Cadet
02/07/03 06:33 AM

In reply to:

Saying BT military PCs should be comparable to NPCs when NPCs includes the trillions of farmers and average yokels in the Inner Sphere just doesn't work for me. I don't buy it. If you want to be an average human, fine, just don't expect to be a mechwarrior, who are 1-in-100 million individuals.

Exactly. Regular schmuck off the street might enter a room guns a-blazin' and isn't going to hit anything except by luck. Your Mechwarrior character can kick the door down, pop two guards with headshots and dive behind the potted plant for cover before the bad guy can even look up from his desk and not even break a sweat.
Does not play well with others.
zensunni
02/07/03 07:00 AM

In reply to:

Second, compared to everyone else...tell you what, how about I beat on you with brass knuckles for a while, and then beat on an elite, 1-in-a-billion soldier for a while and see who falls down first? The difference between you and the soldier might not be significant vs. bullets, but I suspect a "commando" (to use a generic super soldier term) would be able to handle more physical abuse (in some form or another) than you.

And he would be stronger and faster than you and at least 90% of the population. And would have above average intelligence.

LOL... A gun shot should hurt you no matter who you are. But the example you give involving brass knuckles would involve subdual damage in T20, which is handled differently than lethal damage. Suffice it to say that in T20 the more experienced you are (i.e., higher level), the more subdual damage you can take; and classes with training in physical combat (e.g., Marine) can on average take more subdual damage per level than those that aren't (e.g., Academic).

And while a MechWarrior is likely to have excellent hand-eye coordination and all the skills (i.e., appropriate piloting and gunnery) involved in using a Mech, this DOESN'T translate into "stronger and faster than...at least 90% of the population," (are you sure you're not playing a DnD Fighter in disguise as a MW? ). Among others, I'd expect a bodybuilder to be stronger, and a dancer to be faster. Given your "1-in-100 million" stats (which I think are a BIT off... do you have a quote for that?), I think there are MANY more dancers and bodybuilders than there are MechWarriors. MechWarriors are better than most at what they do best, piloting Mechs and firing the guns. They don't have a monopoly on strength or speed.

I think it should be obvious that I'm not trying to detail how the T20 system works, as that wasn't the purpose of my original post. I think this whole tangent regarding "heroics" has really been blown out of proportion from a single line in which I was just trying to get across that the PCs of T20 aren't the "indestructible demigods" of PCs in DnD, able to kill 100 NPCs and fall off 100 ft building with barely a scratch to show (which seems to be the BIGGEST fear among D20 opponents).

All I'll say further about this aspect is that, in my opinion, T20 maintains a realistic level of RPing in a fairly hard-science fictional setting; one that I think fits in very nicely with the BT/MW universe.
Cadet
02/07/03 07:10 AM

I guess it just comes down to what you want out of the system in the first place.

I don't want to play a game where the main characters are just run of the mill, everyday joes. I want to play where they are capable of doing things I can't. Jumping out of a 15 story building and grabbing a flagpole on the way down. Piloting a giant war machine. Having a shootout in a bar with a dozen mob goons.

it's like my big gripe with Gran Turismo. I can already drive a Honda in real life. i don't want to do that in a video game as well. Give me that $800,000 Italian sports car to play with instead.

Don't make me play a regular joe. Let me play someone larger than life instead.
Does not play well with others.
zensunni
02/07/03 07:21 AM

In reply to:

So, here's the situation that came up: a PC is stuck on a wizard's ship for months. He has nothing to do, no monsters to fight, just sit and read on the wizard's library's subject (mostly astronomy/astrology). In d20, how would I have the PC raise his skill in "Lore: Astrology"? He was a good 10K experience points from leveling. Is the only way to raise a skill in d20 to give the PC another level?

As far as I'm aware, the only way to raise a skill is to increase in level.

In the games in which I play, a PC wouldn't be able to increase a skill unless s/he could justify the increase. In this case, you could use the time spent here as justification for the increase later.

You could give him temporary bonuses to the skill, with the thought that he just couldn't commit them to memory.

Yet another option would be to allow him to take a rank or two now, with the understanding that it would come from his pool of points at the next level.

A last option would be if he had just previously gone up in level, perhaps allowing him to "take back" some points he just used. This would assume that he allowed himself to become distracted with the intense studying of this the new information, in the process forgetting the particulars of the other skill.

That this isn't handled officially in the rules (as far as I know) is clearly an issue with the system. But you can always improvise and make changes, and the couple options above would seem to fit the circumstances without drastically affecting game balance, making other players unhappy, or opening a can of worms.
CrayModerator
02/07/03 09:34 AM

In reply to:

Given your "1-in-100 million" stats (which I think are a BIT off... do you have a quote for that?),

A mass of separated stats that come together. In the Kuritan Sourcebook and MW3 RPG, there are references that the Inner Sphere has a population in the trillions. "Trillions" indicates "at least 2 trillion."

Separately, the mech armies of the Inner Sphere are fairly well known in size. Approximately 100 mech regiments per House in 3025, varying between (IIRC) 70 and 120. This gives about 500 mech regiments in the Inner Sphere: ~50000 mechwarriors. Double that to have a margin for error and you have 100000 mechwarriors.

With the minimum population estimate and a generous mechwarrior estimate, you find there is 1 mechwarrior per 20 million people. For comparison, this would be 14 people out of the USA's population, or 3 out of the UK's.

Now, if I'm a gubmint sort who has about 14 slots to fill and 280 million people to hire from, I can afford to be very picky. Further, if this is for a group of soldiers who will be providing the first line of defense for my nation (along with maybe 150 tank crewmen and 300 infantrymen), I have good cause to pick 14 REALLY good soldiers.

So, however you phrase it, mechwarriors should be above average in virtually every aspect, and extremely good in some - rather like pilot astronauts, who are "merely" 1 in 2 or 3 million individuals (in the current US population and astronaut corps).

As for survivability, no, mechwarriors aren't particularly tougher than other people (especially in MW3 RPG, which is extremely good at equal opportunity death in personal combat).

zensunni
02/07/03 10:45 AM

In reply to:

Now, if I'm a gubmint sort who has about 14 slots to fill and 280 million people to hire from, I can afford to be very picky. Further, if this is for a group of soldiers who will be providing the first line of defense for my nation (along with maybe 150 tank crewmen and 300 infantrymen), I have good cause to pick 14 REALLY good soldiers.

This is where I see a problem. This "pool" of 280 million people from which to pick the best doesn't exist.

It's my understanding that the position of MechWarrior, by and large, is a hereditary one. 'Mech's are passed down in families, the children raised from birth to be MechWarriors. Those that don't prove themselves are shoved aside to perform other duties, while the best become true MechWarriors. But there aren't MechWarrior "tryouts" for anyone else. While one must prove oneself, it's still a position one must be born into (there are exceptions, but few and far between). As such, being a MechWarrior doesn't make it a given that you're quicker, brighter or stronger than non-MechWarrior's; just that you're quicker, brighter, and stronger than your brothers, sisters and cousins.

In reply to:

So, however you phrase it, mechwarriors should be above average in virtually every aspect, and extremely good in some - rather like pilot astronauts, who are "merely" 1 in 2 or 3 million individuals (in the current US population and astronaut corps).

I disagree. They'll definitely be WAY above average when it comes to using 'Mechs--as they're the only ones trained to do it.

Why should they be above average at using computers, swimming, jumping, bluffing, singing, using a pistol, hiding, riding a horse, gambling, bargaining, or piloting an Aerotech?

Granted, they're likely to be better than average at some of these (using a gun comes to mind), but it's not a given. Mercenaries, Marines, any number of others are just as likely to have extensive training in that.

In my opinion, it is exactly because of the complete focus of their training since birth on the use of 'Mechs that they're likely to be less than average in other aspects. In order to use 'Mechs, and be good enough at it that you beat your brother to the family's 'Mech, you spent all your time training in simulators, studying tactics, reading 'Mech technical manuals, etc.

I'm playing devil's advocate a little there, but it's only to prove a point. Yes, MW's are better with 'Mechs, but they're not assured to be better than average in anything else. That Marine is likely to be a better shot. That Academic is likely to be more knowledgeable about military history. And that Merchant is likely to know more about the military build-up in the adjacent sector.
CrayModerator
02/07/03 01:53 PM

In reply to:

It's my understanding that the position of MechWarrior, by and large, is a hereditary one

As I stated this morning:

"With the days of the personally owned mech waning, it isn't luck involved in mechwarrior selection, it's physical and mental testing. Idiots and klutzes shouldn't become mechwarriors. This doubly true for Clan warriors, true and freeborn."

Hereditary mechwarriors were the norm in 3025; they're a dying breed in 3067. In the Clans, every mechwarrior is exceptional, the end result of lifelong training and breeding.
In reply to:

Why should they be above average at using computers, swimming, jumping, bluffing, singing, using a pistol, hiding, riding a horse, gambling, bargaining, or piloting an Aerotech?

Why? Because mechwarriors have:
1) Exceptional hand-eye coordination. This gives them a huge head start in hundreds of physical skills over the average person, from pistol shooting to piloting to a dozen sports. A little practice and they'll be way ahead of the average joe.
2) Good physical health - it's an odd military that lets in the sickly and weak, and even BT militaries will keep out mech owners who can't pass physical fitness tests. It's unlikely you can get to a good state of physical strength that makes the military happy without some participation in sports or exercise. Fresh graduate recruits will be in better shape than the average person, just like a modern soldier out of basic training.
3) Exceptional hand-eye coordination needs mentioning again. It affects so many physical skills.
4) A good brain. Piloting a mech is not just about putting crosshairs on a target or spinning the steering wheel - that's the easy part. Being a mechwarrior means understanding what happened when the mech starts to behave wrong or is damaged and how to keep the mech doing its job despite that. Mechs are walking, shooting computers so filled with computers that even their armor is laced with computers. They are the most complicated war machines on the ground, and mechwarriors are the ones who make them work when in good maintenance or when catastrophically damaged. Anyone smart enough to do that has learned a great deal about computers, high-tech load bearing structures, the material and mechanical properties of contractile polymers, the behavior of fusion engines, munitions, etc. This is exactly the same as pilot astronauts, who started out passing the physical fitness requirements of military personnel (and usually build themselves up further - big muscles help with G-forces), passed the hand-eye coordination requirements of pilots, passed the engineering and mathematical requirements of pilots, and then proved themselves exceptional enough to be pilot astronauts. And astronauts need a whole 'nother level of engineering and scientific understanding to handle spaceships, because the piloting part is easy (computers do nearly everything, like on mechs). Astronauts, like mechwarriors, need to know what to do when things go wrong, and that's where their college degrees and brainpower come in.
5) Mechwarriors who aspire to be more than a private are going to have above average leadership skills. Most will have those anyway, just because mechwarriors end up in command in the presence of conventional troops. Mechwarriors are also portrayed like today's fighter jocks: generally gregarious, high social skill "aces." So, yeah, I'd expect them to have better than average people skills.
In reply to:

Mercenaries, Marines, any number of others are just as likely to have extensive training in that.

Mercs and marines are other military personnel: 1 in a million individuals in BT. If a mechwarrior is not better at shooting small arms, survival skills, or physical fitness than an infantryman, there's nothing wrong with that and no contradiction with the idea that mechwarriors are exceptional people in most respects.
In reply to:

In my opinion, it is exactly because of the complete focus of their training since birth on the use of 'Mechs that they're likely to be less than average in other aspects

That's not born out in fiction or the MW rule book. Academy and University training is broad-based. The IS lifepaths show a great deal of diversity in backgrounds, little of which reflects "life long" training on mechs. You don't start picking up mech-related skills until you enter the military later in life.
In reply to:

That Marine is likely to be a better shot.

The Marine is not an average person.
In reply to:

That Academic is likely to be more knowledgeable about military history.

The Academic is not an average person.
In reply to:

And that Merchant is likely to know more about the military build-up in the adjacent sector.

Having seen enemy troops building up someplace does not make a person exceptional, it just means they have functional eyes.

So, no, mechwarriors are not average people in almost any respect. Nor are most BT military personnel - they're too rare to be average. And, IMO, the character creation rules of any RPG do not produce "average" people - it's explicit in GURPS, where the PCs have 100pts to spend at character creation while the average person has ~50pts, and pretty obvious in games like DnD, where the average person is a peasant farmer with 9 to 11 in all stats and 3-4 hp.

Simply put, average people do not become adventurers.

zensunni
02/07/03 02:16 PM

In reply to:

Hereditary mechwarriors were the norm in 3025; they're a dying breed in 3067. In the Clans, every mechwarrior is exceptional, the end result of lifelong training and breeding.

My error; I definitely missed this. I play closer to the 3025 era.

In reply to:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
KamikazeJohnson
02/07/03 03:35 PM

In reply to:

I don't think it's so much that they don't become adventurers. It's more a case of average people don't live long enough as adventurers to do anything noteworthy. By the very fact of their survival to level 2 (or equivalent experience), they prove themselves to be above average.

It's kind of akin to the fact that you know the hero in an action movie is going to successfully disarm that bomb...because if he doesn't, the story wouldn't be worth telling. By the same token, an "average joe" would be a weak, boring, and incredibly frustrating character to play in an RPG (considering the challenges PCs usually face in such games).

I personally have no objection to PCs having greater resistence to lethal attacks, etc. While it may not be realistic, it makes the game more enjoyable, as long as it's kept within reason.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
02/07/03 08:58 PM

Actually, there are "MechWarrior Tryouts". Every House has "Proving Grounds" or a similar place, at which the general public can go and play at being MechWarriors for a day. If you are really good (about equal to a serving Regular soldier) the House will then send you off for training. In the DCMS, soldiers who enter the armed forces in this way tend to go on in the army very, very quickly and get transferred to the Ryuken or Genyosha regiments.

And even if you don't do that or aren't noble, you can enter a University (like the NACMS) after finishing school to train to become a MechWarrior based on your school results.

How's that for natural selection?

As for your other point, they are way above average because they are there. They beat everyone else. They are MechWarriors. They have more combat experience than anyone else, and whilst a MechWarrior isn't going to be as good outside the cockpit as n Infantryman, they will be far, far, far better than Joe Average from the street. They have to be.
realworldviews
02/07/03 11:19 PM

So, here's the situation that came up: a PC is stuck on a wizard's ship for months. He has nothing to do, no monsters to fight, just sit and read on the wizard's library's subject (mostly astronomy/astrology).
In d20, how would I have the PC raise his skill in "Lore: Astrology"? He was a good 10K experience points from leveling. Is the only way to raise a skill in d20 to give the PC another level?

I don't knoe about d20 or DnD3e because I play neither of these, but when U ran DnD2e, if something like that came up I would usually allow them to take the skill, or advance the skill/proficiency. It's was the easiest and most obvious thing I could think of, w/o official rules to go by.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
realworldviews
02/07/03 11:29 PM

it's like my big gripe with Gran Turismo. I can already drive a Honda in real life. i don't want to do that in a video game as well. Give me that $800,000 Italian sports car to play with instead.

Yeah, but how often do you get to drive a Honda that has 400+ HP and can do 180 mph?
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Diablo
02/22/03 01:39 AM

in the end it's up the the DM...

but anyways, heres the breakdown,

Level up system:
one giantleap up of experiance and sudden bonuses. usually awarded after a quest or objectve is compleated. reward good, reality bad

XP point system:
small amounts of XP you can spend whenever and on whatever. killing one guy, geting a sudden better shot and kills another guy. but, it's more realistic as in we dont normally go around, do somehting good and say "oh, cool, i can do this now." it's more of a smooth upwards thing. small improvments after doing certain things. so reality good, reward average.

so there you go, for a realistic type RPG, like MW, a XP point system is good. where as a fantisy RPG, like dnd, where no one cares, level up good.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
zensunni
02/22/03 06:16 AM

In reply to:

so there you go, for a realistic type RPG, like MW, a XP point system is good. where as a fantisy RPG, like dnd, where no one cares, level up good.

LOL. Having giant, bipedal warmachines as the ultimate military super-weapon, each driven by a single human being, is realistic?

Implying that people who play in fantasy games care less about realism than their sci-fi comparts is simply laughable.The BT/MW universe, just like the DnD universe(s), is fictional. That one has HPGs, 'Mechs, and FTL drives, while the other has monsters and magic, doesn't make one more realistic than the other.

In any event, whether you prefer level- or skill-based systems is entirely a personal preference (some, myself included, enjoy them both--although I consider myself much more of a sci-fi than fantasy fan); they both have advantages and disadvantages.
tgsofgc
08/30/03 01:48 AM

Gosh, don't get me wrong I know this thread is old as all hell, and by posting im doing little than stirring up old demons, please excuse me, at least they are forum demons.
first the issue of the average adventurer. RPGs (all rpgs) are an act of escapism, and hence by their very nature are flaunting their unreality in an attempt to win players. I dont play battletech to be a farmer and die in a mech attack after 20 years of losing money. To this end I think it is wholely reasonable, and almost required, that RPGs treat PCs as more than average. It is virtually impossible to become a hero with out something innately going your way. similiarly I would incourage nay sayers to read Sirens of Titan Kurt Vonneguts best book (imho), which hammers hop the natural "whoever said life was fair" point.
About the D20 system... I guess it is an alright system I have heard mixed reviews though. Like Most on this forum I prefer systems that allow players to gradually increaseover time such as Mechwarrior. Personally I feel that there are only two strong points to the D20 system, both logistical. First it is pretty familiar to players of other D20 games (ie. dnd 3rd ed), and second it only requires a single die. My opinion is that the best system for Battletech was Mechwarrior 2nd Edition. It was very easy to learn rivaling DnD, and also required only one type of dice (d6). As an added bonus the 2nd edition system has had the most compatiable source material published, as it is easy to convert 1 st edition material to second.
so in conclusion flame point for any forthcoming responses:
1. Mechwarriors aren't Average
2. PCs and Adventurers in general aren't average, they are heros
3. Life isn't fair
4. D20 is ok, but it is plagued by many problems.
5. Mechwarrior 2nd edition is as easy to learn as D20, and has the most compatiable source material (hence it is the best choice for a system).

Note all this was my opinion, and I must point out that as usual Cray made excelent well researched points that are hardly refutable.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
davion76
09/05/03 06:42 PM

I think the D20 does have a place in MW. As in 2d20. It has the same statistics as 2d10 but allows the players more chances to upgrade their skills and customize their character!
Paladin
03/10/04 09:47 PM

Nightward, I think what you're referring to is the DCMS's proving grounds. The Combine maintains areas where anyone can go and try to demonstrate that they can be in the DCMS, but most of these grounds turn out infantry recruits. According to Field Manual: Draconis Combine, the 'mech grounds are open only to those who already own their own BattleMechs which already makes them a notch above the average Inner Spherite. Not just anyone can get thier hands on a 14-million C-Bill 'mech.
Gnome76
04/03/04 03:24 PM

There aren't any Traveller products in our local game store, but might I suggest D20 Modern?
I was originally against converting any skill based system to D20, but the basic classes (and abilities from those classes) are more generic and based on the characters' ability scores (ie: you're not a fighter or a bard, you're strong or charismatic), and you could make a few new advanced classes (mechwarriors and such) without too much trouble.
UncaRat
04/24/04 01:58 AM

Having actually done something like this I have to say the following.

1. All rule systems have flaws.

2. If play seems fair and ballanced and the players are having fun, then they are good rules FOR THAT GAME.

3. Player will always try to 'game the rules'.

4. Game Masters also 'game the rules'.

5. The size of the die only counts if the choices are real.

Just an Unca's opinion.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15499

Contact Admins Sarna.net