Is AT2 better than AeroTech?

Pages: 1
Cadet
02/13/03 12:03 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm not talking about large scale actions. I mean for dogfights. If AT2 better than AeroTech?
Does not play well with others.
Bob_Richter
02/13/03 02:55 AM

AT2 is not better than Aerotech.

But it's not worse, either.

They both suck.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Cadet
02/13/03 04:16 AM

Could you elaborate, or give a few reasons why they both suck? Possible solutions to fix their sucking?
CrayModerator
02/13/03 07:07 AM

For dogfights?

At least AT2 has those advanced movement options for space that bring a hint of realism to the game. I don't recall enough about AT (other than its lack of those rules) to comment otherwise.

Of course (unrelated to dogfights), AT2 fully supports warship use. AT does not.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
02/13/03 10:05 AM

>>>Could you elaborate, or give a few reasons why they both suck?<<<

Probably.

But you're not really interested, and you'll just argue with me anyway. Not presently in the mood.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Vapor
02/13/03 11:06 AM

Discussions are healthy. I'm going through the AT2 book atm, and I'd like to know your reasons for saying it sucks. lol
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Cadet
02/13/03 11:54 AM

You powers of mind reading seem to have failed you again. I am in fact interested in why you dislike the two systems and what can be done to fix them. I just wanted to discuss them and maybe offer a differing viewpoint or two. That's why I asked the question in the first place., not to argue with Bob Richter.

I'll make it real easy Bob. I dislike you. You dislike me. Fine. I'll make you a deal: from now on I won't read or respond to anything you write if you'll do the the favor of the same. Agreed? Good.
GiovanniBlasini
02/13/03 04:19 PM

In reply to:

At least AT2 has those advanced movement options for space that bring a hint of realism to the game. I don't recall enough about AT (other than its lack of those rules) to comment otherwise.

Not to mention you don't really have to worry about relativistic affects on your fighters after accelerating for a few turns, or turning pilots into chunky salsa...

Original AT hexes were 6500 kilometers across, and turns were still 1 minute long. Thus, a 12/18 fighter, like, say, the Cheetah, from 0 movement, could be going 18 hexes/turn at the end of one turn, or 38 hexes/turn at the end of two turns. OK, 36 hexes/turn works out to 234,000 km / min, or 1.3% of c.

A fighter like the Slayer, using normal thrust, would accelerate at 6 hexes/turn, until it emptied its 10-ton fuel tank. At 15 pts/ton in AT, it'd end its burn at 150 hexes/turn, or a whopping 5.42% of c, or 16,250 km/sec.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
GiovanniBlasini
02/13/03 04:22 PM

Duuuuuuuuude.......

I think that's all I can say right now. Just, duuuuuuuuuude....

OK, one more thing: what the frell was that all about?

OK, tell ya what, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say, and while we have, in the past, disagreed on things, Bob, we have also frequently agreed on things, and we don't have the dislike for one another that you and Cadet seem to share. Well, at the least, I like ya, Bob! But in one of those fraternal ways - just so we're clear on that.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Bob_Richter
02/13/03 05:12 PM

Hate it when that happens.

Okay.

AT1:
NUCLEAR DEATH BOMBS!
Three-hex-wide laser strafing runs.
ISTR that dogfights were okay (I have to look back through the rules,) though. Not nearly enough fuel.

AT2:
Uh. Where to begin?
Well, there's the silly range-bracket thing, for one...the fact that fighters are basically invulnerable to the weapons they carry....
...hm.

I'm sure I can come up with more complaints. Just give me time.

Bob_Richter
02/13/03 05:16 PM

>>>You powers of mind reading seem to have failed you again. <<<

Hardly surprising. I'm probably the least psychic person I know.

You're right, that was completely unfair of me, and the product of staying up entirely too long. I apologise.

>>>I'll make you a deal: from now on I won't read or respond to anything you write if you'll do the the favor of the same. Agreed? Good. <<<

No. *NOT* agreed. I will never enter into such an arrangement with anyone. Please don't ever suggest it again.

>>>I dislike you. You dislike me.<<<

Sorry to hear you dislike me. I don't really dislike you, I just find you irritating from time to time.

>>>I am in fact interested in why you dislike the two systems and what can be done to fix them.<<<

This makes you one of a rare few people. Just for you, I shall attempt to put together a cogent rant on the whole thing, but it will have to wait until after RadCon weekend.

Cadet
02/13/03 09:41 PM

Well I am irritating from time to time so I guess its cool. I was out of line and apologize.

Buds?
Karagin
02/14/03 02:38 PM

It's okay. It has it's share of problems, but it does try to fix things to some degree...

It needs work and the Errata sheet on CBT and things like HMAero really help clear up some of the areas that need to be address.

Basically AT2 is an attempt to bring AT back to the game and not require you to have a mathmatic's degree to play the game.

It is a lot better then Battlespace ever was.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5585

Contact Admins Sarna.net