What do you think is more fun. – building or battling your bots?

Pages: 1
hotsurkit
02/23/03 04:50 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I can’t decide which I actually enjoy more; designing and creating my own bot in detail from the chassis to the weapons, or sending it into battle and watching how well it does. I love both, but when you think about it, it’s like playing two different types of games. Which aspect do you look forward to more?
Karagin
02/23/03 04:53 PM

I like to do both...they both give you a chance to really have fun with the game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Optimus_Prime
02/23/03 08:52 PM

Oh i would love to do both but i dont have have Btech so i make designs and hope they work

http://2845.mechnex.net
The Cybrids are coming, will you be ready?
Diablo
02/23/03 08:58 PM

I spend more time designing bots than playing them. I woiuld play them but I'm faced with two problems, 1, no one to play with and 2, all my books, maps are in poor condition. I've lost all my dice to DnD games and I dont want to print off my sheets cuz I have about a million mech sheets all over my house worth about $500 worth the paper and another $1000 worth the printer ink. so I dont need anymore of them. what I really need to do is learn to program....
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Dog
02/23/03 11:33 PM

Well on the computer game side of things, I can spend hours toying with designs, only to get them blown out of the server in 30 seconds. So I think I prefer building to playing, not as depressing :P
Bob_Richter
02/24/03 03:14 PM

Battletech's construction system is woefully inadequate to give any but the barest glimmer of the thrill of creation.

The glory of battle is where it's all at for me.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Hawkeye
02/25/03 11:39 AM

I like both first you build your mechs then you try them out in a combat enviroment to see how well they do then you improve opon the battle experiance.
KamikazeJohnson
02/25/03 12:29 PM

Building, definitely. Like many other unfortunate souls, I have trouble finding other players for a game, and most of those I do find are total munchkins.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point where I'm having difficulty coming up with original design concepts...every attempt looks quite a bit like a book design or something I've already come up with
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Gangrene
02/25/03 12:32 PM

I guess I would have to say battling. I like to design, but for Btech it gets real repetitive for me. There isn't that much variation in Btech.
Gangrene
realworldviews
02/26/03 12:45 AM

I know that feeling, I have even went so far as to make almost every IS mech into a clan IIC varient, and visa versa with clan mechs.
After a while you just seem to run out of new ideas.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
Dog
02/26/03 04:26 AM

sorry to get off topic here, but thats what the different environments are for. 2750 mech's and what not, try periphery stuff, low tech and unfunded!
LordChaos
02/26/03 11:12 AM

Why do you think so many of my designs are lvl 1 now?

Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Zwischy
02/26/03 03:14 PM

I would have to say I'd enjoy more battles, period. I don't get to my gaming store anymore on the nights they do...or rather, I should say DID have Battletech Wed. nights. A lot of the guys that used to play finished college and several went outstate, so now the group died and the store doesn't reserve space for us anymore.

But frankly, building effective 'Mechs isn't that hard. It's learning to use them effectively that I'm still working on, even with book designs. I'm finding I'm a lousy tactician, much of the time. Too impatient, usually. Give me a light 'Mech and I'll get it blown up in short order because I try to end-around the enemy without engaging with my bigger stuff first. Just one example.

I definitely would like to get more opportunities to play.
hotsurkit
02/26/03 08:45 PM

Diablo, I like designing them. Seeing all my work go up in flames bums me out. I see one of your problems is lack of someone to play against. Have you tried other games. Robot Arena 2 allows you to fight against other players online and it's really a cool game.

Edited by hotsurkit (02/26/03 08:46 PM)
hotsurkit
03/01/03 01:33 AM

Hey Diablo, ya out there? I'll check in tomorrow.
hotsurkit
03/01/03 03:45 PM

Slayer, thanks for the welcome PM. Diablo, guess your buzy. Anyway, if you ever do feel like doing battle http://www.robotarena.com/ build it and we'll go at it. If you use other bot games online, let me know so I can check it out.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6159

Contact Admins Sarna.net