What is Your Favorite Battlemech

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Highball
06/23/01 12:42 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It is almost impossible to pick just one from all the possibalities .... especially as each era had its own awesome designs. Here are my pick for each era and a overall best pick.

3025 - Wolverine 6M. Fantastic all around design that can kick juat about any others designs butt if played to its fullest potential.

3050 IS - Gotta love that Thunderbolt! All that firepower and the heat sinks to use it effectively.
3050 Clam - TimberWolf. Just an all around great design.

3055 IS - Penetrator. Any variant of this machine will put a serious hurting on you. And its lack of an XL make it one of the most survivable designs out there and is my personal favorite.
3055 Clam - Marauder IIC. Just an awesome re-design of a fantastic 'Mech

3058 IS - Maelstrom. All that firepower, the heatsinks to use it, and no ammo restrictions. A fantastic design and well balenced.
3058 Clam - ShadowCat. Nice mix of speed and firepower that will make any spheriod scared.

3060 IS - Templar. That Omni with the TC is just plain ole deadly!
3060 Clam - NovaCat. Hands down the best Omni ever designs IMHO.

With all of that being said I have to take as my best overall designs .......

Inner Sphere - Penetrator
Clan - Nova Cat

Combined arms is the only way to wage war.
DireWolf
06/23/01 01:10 PM

I will pass the word to him. I have him on my ICQ list, but he seems to be forever offline. Last time I talked to him, he was really into Mechwarrior 4. Looks like he's playing it during any free time he got.

-LeV "Dire Wolf" Arris.

"Hate is the emotion that will cause a man to journey to hell. Love is the emotion that will cause a man to journey to hell, and back, just to do it again."
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
Bob_Richter
06/25/01 05:38 PM

On the other hand...
...The Blood Asp is a whole lotta extra machine for not a whole lot of extra value.

The two fresh Nova Cats would waste all four remaning Blood Asps in a duel. Losses are even up, but The guy who won still has two Nova Cats over what his opponent has.

-Bob Richter
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Grizzly
07/05/01 02:31 AM

Yes I do. Many of the designs are given an XL engine for no other reason than to have one. Example: the Awesome. Why take a great direct fire support mech and give it an XL with SRM 2's? Do they want it do die? At least they redeemed it with the 9Q, the four standard PPC's and standard engine with the sinks to fire them are a great combination. That's just one of many "blunders" on the update designs. Another would be the heat sink issue. I know that the errata sheet that came with Reinforcements 2 gave some of the 3050 designs double freezers, but some that needed them didn't get them, AKA the Panther. Why oh why give that mech a weapon that it cannot use effectively? Back to the engine issue, I just don't believe in using an XL unless absolutely necessary. Example: Axeman, it just wouldn't be the same without the XL and the weight savings that it offered. Now at least they have the light engines which are less liekly to take the mech out. Don't get me wrong, the XL engine has a place; when weight is tight and you need the extra boost, but I don't just blindly place them in a design. Now the IS ERPPC is another issue. On this we seem to see eye to eye. Unless it is your single primary weapon, ie. Jackal, don't give it the ERPPC. The heat is not worth it. Just my couple o' cents.

"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Diablo
08/02/01 05:59 PM

Gotta be the clan Mad Cat/Timber Wolf. Fast ,kicks butt, cool lookin'. 2xPPC's and LRMs fillin' the rest is my favorite combination.

"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Bob_Richter
08/15/01 11:06 PM

How about the standard 3025 Banshees?

They were just as fast, and far tougher.

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
widowmaker
08/16/01 04:48 AM

//Tougher?? Tougher??
Hmm... Same armor\\

and an XL Engine. Which means it died quick. Trying to put a 3025 Banshee down required either a lucky ammo hit or a long, brutal wear-down process.

//3.5 times the damage (63 or 18)\\

on the 3E variant, yes. But there were three others:

3Q : ac/20, SL, 12 HS, 4/6 movement, total damage 23
3M : 2 PPCs, 2 MLs, SL, 16 HS, 4/6 movement, total damage 33
3S : ac/10, 2 PPCs, SRM6, 4 MLs, 2 SLs, 21 HS, 3/5 movement, total damage 68

the 3M is nasty because it's all energy; no cheap ammo hit kills. And the 3S is just plain scary (I should have referenced it when making my Atlas AS7-E), although it lights up like a Christmas tree if you Alpha Strike.

So basically, this comes down to which variant he used.

Alright, J Marik, which was it? Give!

"What was that?"
Last words of Mechwarrior Morgan as his Spider was point-blanked by a King Crab.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Bob_Richter
08/16/01 01:30 PM

...No XL Engine?

Think about it, sparky.

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.

TRYCORP
09/05/01 10:26 PM

Clan = Mad Cat
IS = Raven (hehe seriously LoL)

"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
CrayModerator
09/22/01 12:21 PM

Inner Sphere: Battlemaster.

Why:Has style, grace in a pro-wrestler kinda way, and was the original assault mech when I first got BT.

Clan: Whatever Clan mech my Battlemaster is stomping into garbage.

Why: The Clans are an abomination that ruined the purity of the BT setting. They shall be destroyed. (Or preferably written out of the game, but it's a little late for that.)

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Black_Phoenix
10/14/01 06:11 PM

The Atlas.

Not only is it the best looking mech but it is also my favorite IS mech (whenever I play as the IS). The only difference is that I use the 3025 base and upgrade it to a low tech 3050. I has a GR in place of the AC/20, 3 tons of GR ammo, and 2 extra Medium Lasers. The only downside? There is no SRM 6, I had to remove it to make space for the GR and its ammo.

As for clan mechs, the Timber Wolf is the best looking and one of my favorites.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

LordChaos
10/29/01 09:25 PM

I have 2 for IS. Both in the 3025 readout no less.

first, we have the ShadowHawk. Specificaly, the variant with the PPC. I had one of these face off solo against an entire lance of assult mechs. And last for over 5 rounds of combat. (it actualy finished the game still mobile... just....)

Second, we have the original prototype Zues. (with the PPC instead of the AC). Take your vaulted battlmaster, the Zues will kick it's behind (due to superior long ranged firepower and equal movement).

As for clan... I don't have a favorite. See my sig. (though if I had to chose one, it'd probly be the Thor).

Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
LordChaos
10/30/01 01:26 AM

Venom
06/09/09 03:30 AM

Now I know what happened to the Clans.
Tripod
06/09/09 06:50 AM

I like the Fire Javelin...

I also like the Ryoken ?C? (the ER Laser boat)
TBA
CrayModerator
06/09/09 07:55 AM

Quote:

Now I know what happened to the Clans.

Awww, Venom. Couldn't you have waited 3 more months to respond? Then you would've managed an 8-year thread necromancy spell.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LAMdriver
06/11/09 06:27 AM

Favorite Battlemech huh?

Well for the Clans going to have to go with a Smoke Jaguar Shadow Cat Prime configuration. Fast powerful and just damn cool in my opinion.

Well for IS (and I am going to piss alot of people off here):

Phoenix Hawk PXH-3M that is LAM capible.

I like it for a deep penitrator into enemy lines, and do you know of another 'Mech that can jump 18 hexs and not need to land!
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/11/09 12:12 PM

Quote:

Favorite Battlemech huh?

Well for IS (and I am going to piss alot of people off here):

Phoenix Hawk PXH-3M that is LAM capible.

I like it for a deep penitrator into enemy lines, and do you know of another 'Mech that can jump 18 hexs and not need to land!

Why would your opinion piss people off? Your opinion is just as valid to you as others are to them.

LAMs are no longer part of the official game, that does not mean that you can't use them with house rules.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
06/11/09 05:47 PM

Indeed, although I thought the 3M wasn't a LAM since it didn't include conversion equipment..
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/11/09 07:19 PM

A small error, I am sure he meant the Phoenix Hawk LAM PXH-HK 1-5 series.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
LAMdriver
06/12/09 02:25 AM

Ok the easy one out of the way first:

Clan: Shadow Cat in the Prime configuation. Nothing says, "I love you" than a gauss rifle round from a scout/flanking mech!

IS: A Phoenix Hawk PXH-3M. I like it on many levels.

1. fast enough to keep up in a recon lance.
2. mostly energy based weapons for longer staying power in the field.
3. can act as a command and control mech due to its commo gear.
4. parts are readily avaliable due to its commonplace nature.
5. proven design for over 300 years.

Well that is good to know about different disignator for the LAM verison of this mech. Thanks.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

Edited by LAMdriver (06/12/09 02:32 AM)
LAMdriver
06/12/09 02:28 AM

Sorry about the double post. Still new here and working out all the kinks and stuff. I also have been out of the loop for a long while with CBT and my libary is pretty much gone. Thanks Mom for cleaning my room while i was in Korea!

Edited by LAMdriver (06/12/09 02:37 AM)
Lafeel
06/12/09 04:45 PM

Heh, give me a Ice Ferret prime instead, just as much firepower with a third more speed (and no damned masc to fail at the worst possible time).

And even better my big gun is ammo independent:P
Bansee
06/19/09 05:21 AM

Bansee, duh. Love the origional on a normal 3025 battlefield. Just beats the heck out of everything. The -s is even a match for the Atlas.

As for Clan, I played them too long to have only one favorite.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 140543

Contact Admins Sarna.net