Low-budget minis

Pages: 1
Vapor
03/18/03 09:18 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, not exactly low-budget, but the same idea, kinda. I was just told by the owner of the gaming store here that he will most likely be able to stock IWM minis (still no word yet about CBT items ). However, there are no hobby stores on the island that I know of (well, there's one that caters to those mini RC car racer guys, but that's about it). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could use to put minis together that I could get at, say, Ace Hardware.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Cadet
03/19/03 12:34 AM

I've seen little robot figures at toy stores, from Japanme shows. They might work and you can get 3 or 4 for like 5 bucks.
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
03/19/03 03:26 AM

no no no I'm talking about the actualy IWM minis. The owner of the game store said that he can get them, and from what I understand, some of them have to be put together. There isn't a hobby store where I could get specific glues, knives, etc. I could get super glue at Ace Hardware, but I'm wondering what else I could get there to do a good job. My mother will have a fit if I use her kitchen knives and I haven't seen X-Acto knives here at all. What do you use when you assemble minis?

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Grizzly
03/19/03 04:30 PM

Well, you will want some type of razor knife. Preferably with a nice small blade. Like an Xacto, but they may be called a craft knife or pencil knife. You should be able to find something like this at the hardware store. Next you may want to see about a small metal file. Again, if you look or talk to the hardware person, they should be able to get some if they don't have it in stock. I got a set of three at my local hardware store. They are about the size of a pencil, and come in different shapes. Between a file and a "craft knife" you can take off any sprue left on the rough edges of the mini. Do you have problems getting small paintbrushes? You will need those to paint. Between the knife, file and glue you have the ability to put together your minis. As far as glue goes, there are many out there, but I have found that most super glues work pretty well. The ones in the tube tend to dry out quick though. Hope this helps, and good luck with your mini's!!!!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Vapor
03/20/03 09:56 AM

If I can get a hold of the knives, files, and glue, I shouldn't have any trouble putting the minis together. Painting will be a problem, though, since I am not artistic by any stretch of the imagination. I can try, though. I would be willing to bet that the unpainted minis would look better than any I painted.

Grizzly
03/20/03 05:37 PM

Painting isn't that hard. I suck too, but some of mine look great! It takes some practice and some trial and error. Each person has their own style. I prefer camo schemes, whether real looking (woodland) or crazy (sky blue with maroon spots). Use a water soluble paint, like Reaper or some other craft paint. That way if you screw up, you can soak it in Pinesol and the paint comes off! If your not happy, just clean it up and try again! I typically use a grey or white primer (depending on the base coat color), and another 1, 2, or 3 colors in dots, stripes etc. Add some details like metallic for weapon barrels, silver for cockpits, and then put a light wash (very diluted dark paint, such as black or dark brown) and then seal it with a matte finish. Not too hard, and generally looks good. I don't have the patience or skill to do some of the more intense "unit" schemes, but I think the mini's look pretty good.

One of my favorites is a desert scheme. Use a grey primer, then a brownish yellow base coat. I then add dark brown stripes or dots. Then the details in grey such as barrels, jump ports etc. Then a dark brown wash, and then spray with dull cote. Voila, a desert camo mini!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Vapor
03/21/03 03:30 AM

Ah, you make it sound so easy.

Grizzly
03/27/03 10:05 AM

It's not too hard, if you have some patience. As I said before, try a paint job out, and if it doesn't work out, dunk the mini in Pinsol overnight, scrub it with an old toothbrush, and try again. All it takes is a little practice. Don't expect the minis to look like some that Archer, Ross Koga, or any of those pro's can do. Think simpler, and give the mini your style. You will be able to paint, just give yourself a chance!
Sarge
11/06/03 07:13 AM

Word of caution:

While several of the new minis are really nice figs and are not difficult at all to assemble, there are a few that are a royal pain. The new Marauder fig is chief amonng them. I will not be buying another.

I DO like the new Thunderbolt and the new Shadowhawk. The new Locust is simple to assemble but kinda looks like a hummingbird .

A rule of thumb that I tell new players is just take a look at the blisterpack, and if has a LOT of pieces inside you might want to wait on buying that one until you get more experience assembling miniatures.

-Sarge
Marshall
05/23/04 12:39 PM

Quote:

Word of caution:

While several of the new minis are really nice figs and are not difficult at all to assemble, there are a few that are a royal pain. The new Marauder fig is chief amonng them. I will not be buying another.

I DO like the new Thunderbolt and the new Shadowhawk. The new Locust is simple to assemble but kinda looks like a hummingbird .

A rule of thumb that I tell new players is just take a look at the blisterpack, and if has a LOT of pieces inside you might want to wait on buying that one until you get more experience assembling miniatures.

-Sarge

Is the new Marauder harder to put together than the old one? Thanks for the headsup.

Marshall
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9207

Contact Admins Sarna.net