Batchall

Pages: 1
Alemnyr
03/13/03 11:57 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You have been given the honor of bidding forces under your command to defend an objective against some Inner Sphere mercenary scum.

The IS force is comprised of 6 Medium Mechs (40 tons) and 27 Heavy Mechs (65 tons) [Total BV of 48420]. These are all new designs, though the mercenary command is known for a bias towards jump-capable mechs and energy weapons.

What do you feel would be the cutdown and what forces would you send at that cutdown?

-- I have never seen a bid done before and I was wondering how it's decided? I understand the basic premise, but I'd like to see some examples, if I could. >;-)

Thanks,
Mike
Nightward
03/14/03 04:21 AM

I bid the Werewolf. Eat McKenna broadsides, Freebirth mercenary scum!

Seriously, though? 33 IS 'Mechs all up, with a mix of Mediums and Heavies. I belive two Binary Supernovas composed mainly of Timber Wolves, War Hawks, and Dire Wolves could probably do the job. Absolute cutdown? Hmm. BattleTech is different to the novels, so whereas Phelan Ward could probably splat the lot of the Mercs single-handed in the novels, I feel the cutdown would probably be one Assualt Supernova Binary. That would be pushing your luck, though- the firepower offered by the Binary would be offset by the pathetic, pathetic speed they have...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Zwischy
03/14/03 04:39 PM

You're playing against newer Mechs, so you don't have quite the advantage you would have had at the start of the invasion. Sure, there's more XL engines to be destroyed, but you'd better be good at dividing and conquering the bad guys, if you get cut down to 15 Mechs. Some aerospace or Elemental support, if possible, would be good. Two points, perhaps?

The trick with bidding, as with negotiating a price, is to start high and work your way down to an acceptable bid. This depends on how many rounds of bidding you will be allowed, but maybe use this as a rough guideline:

Start with two Trinaries of Mechs.

Cut your next bid to, say, a Trinary and a Command Star of Mechs, along with 3 points of elementals/aerospace.

Then go to a Trinary and 3 points of elementals.

Then finally, if needed, go to a whole Trinary only (or, in desparate straits, a heavy Binary).

You'll have to adjust to your situation and resources, but I hope you get the idea. Start high, and work your way to cut under your opponent, OR make your opponent bid so low that he can't win. You will hopefully be allowed to reinforce and thereby steal some honor for yourself.
LordChaos
03/14/03 06:07 PM

N-squared says I need at least 22 medium-heavy (say 50-55 tonners, up to 60) mechs (using the assumption, not unfounded, that each one of my machines with one of my pilots is half again as eficent and usefull as my oponents). Less then that, and one starts relying far too much on luck.

Given that, and that luck doesn't play favorites, I'd prefer to go in with 25 mechs of the listed weight classes. This gives some room to manouver.

Hense, I'd start my bidding at 30 medium mechs most likely.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Bob_Richter
03/15/03 07:31 PM

I'd go for a Pulse-Laser Equipped Assault Mech Trinary, but not much less force than that.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Diablo
03/17/03 06:27 PM

I bid 3 stars of Assault mechs.

1) Awsome IIC's
2) Grim Reaper SX's
3) Ubber Vulture's

there all my designs. Awsome IIC is pretty much as it sounds. Awsome with clan ER PPC's. Grim Reaper SX is a 100 ton twin Gauss, Twin ERPPC and I think it had some ER large pulse lasers. and the Ubber Vulture is a 100 ton mech sporting 4 ATM 12's. and nothing else.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Zwischy
03/20/03 01:33 AM

I'm intensely curious...did our advice help you at all? How did the battle fare? Who won the bidding, and with what bid?
Alemnyr
03/20/03 07:04 AM

Well I was hoping for much more specific bids. The only specific bid uses custom mechs. >;-)
Diablo
03/22/03 02:05 PM

fine, a trinary of Timber Wolf's. primary load out.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5252

Contact Admins Sarna.net