Alternate Timelines?

Pages: 1
Alemnyr
04/04/03 09:06 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was wondering if anyone had some links to alternate timelines? I'm really interested in how people see things unfolding after 3062 (since there's no way in hell I'm going to use Wizkid's version) and after a bit of searching I've only been able to find one.
Vapor
04/04/03 10:09 AM

hehe a player after my own heart.

Once I get back up to speed, I intend to start my own alternate timeline, though I haven't decided exactly when it will branch off, yet. I don't like the WK timeline either.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
CrayModerator
04/04/03 12:11 PM

I spew out alternate histories by the dozen:

Xin Sheng!

Is right in Sarna.net's Roleplaying forum (still visible on the first page of posts). I strongly recommend you view it in the collapsed, thread viewing mode (selected under "My Home") because it's quite long.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LordChaos
04/04/03 05:48 PM

Now if only I could find an alternate timeline from about 3040 on... (I am still anti-clan... don't like acknowledging they exist even).
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Alemnyr
04/05/03 12:12 AM

I was just thinking, with all that genetic engineering and advanced technology, people who hate the clans could easily use the Capellan Confederation in their place.

Just thinking about it... We have a small (planet wise) but technologically powerful house with indoctrinated (and possibly genetically altered) troops. Sounds like the clans to me. Of course, with the loss of the Warrior House, etc, they aren't as silly combat-wise (not anywhere near as silly as Zellbringen anyway).

Hmmm, don't mind me, just thinking out loud.
CrayModerator
04/05/03 07:15 AM

The Capellan Confederation of Xin Sheng isn't exactly meant to conquer the Inner Sphere, and it doesn't use genetically altered "super soldiers." (Genetic engineering is used to reduce health care costs. ) It was meant to reclaim the former (pre-Succession War) greatness of the Confederation. Note its expansion, besides some reclamation by planetary referendums, has been into the lightly settled Periphery.

However, you can certainly morph into whatever you need for your home game.

I'm not sure how Xin Sheng would play out without the Clans. It would probably end up with a Star League, or at least some interstellar "League of Nations", earlier, and probably with a heavy Davionista influence.

Now, this is actually an interesting thought. I'm going to have to look into a Clan-free Xin Sheng.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (04/05/03 07:16 AM)
Bob_Richter
04/06/03 05:35 AM

Odd. You'll use FASA's version of events up to 3062, but you won't use FASA's version of events AFTER 3062?

(To clear up your possible confusion, the WoB jihad was part of FASA's plan all along, and the events that followed it...well, I dunno.)

Why that year particularly?

Personally I'd start at about 3025, make sure the GDL never formed (Grayson Carlyle was gunned down by Lori Calmar on Trellwan when he was dumb enough to step in front of a Locust with an Inferno Launcher,) and have better-designed Clans sprung on the Inner Sphere in 3050, changing a lot of events along the way. TR2750 would be thrown out, as would significant amounts of material on the Clans. Much of the 3025-3052 timeline would be recognizable, but there would be a strong divergence around about 3056 or so. (When I really started to dislike FASA's timeline.)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Alemnyr
04/06/03 04:01 PM

I actually dislike Dark Age, not the timeline after 3062. I have no problem with the WoB nuking various planets. I DO have a problem with the lack of consistency after 3065ish. As far as I can tell, all the clans not in the Inner Sphere disappear, while the ones in the Inner Sphere join up with the various Houses. Ok... That doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't make much sense that the WoB would be so powerful that all the houses (and their new clan buddies) would have to fight for years to stop them. The scope of the WoB jihad drives me bonkers. That's why I said 3062, so I could rewrite the effects of the jihad. Some planets / mech regiments get nuked? ok. The entire Inner Sphere swamped by fanatics? I think not. There are simply too many non-fanatics. There are too many planets. Anyway, now I'm just being silly.

What would you change regarding the clans? I'm very curious. And sorry if this topic has been done to death, I've just recently come back to BT.
Dog
04/07/03 03:57 AM

I'm sorta with Bob on this one. Personally I say let the clans take terra, then have Wardens and Crusaders fight over things. Introduce Capellans back in as Clan Liao, they're social structure is the most similar. Even have homeworld clans stage a takeover back there cutting off invading clans. The big good vs evil would primarily be Comstar vs Clans (6's to 5's) since the clans would probably try to control communications after settling in. More mercenaries (they seem to be taking the brunt of things since the 4th succession war).

Dog
Aff!
Gangrene
04/07/03 07:06 PM

Why that year particularly?

Probably because thats when the story went from "bad" to "sucks a fatty." But thats just my opinion.
Gangrene
Bob_Richter
04/07/03 08:50 PM

>>>I actually dislike Dark Age, not the timeline after 3062. <<<

I don't really know enough about the new era to have formed much of an opinion on the matter. I liked Ghost War, but that was just because it was Stackpole.

I haven't really read the universe refcards and stuff.

*shrug*

>>>As far as I can tell, all the clans not in the Inner Sphere disappear, while the ones in the Inner Sphere join up with the various Houses. <<<

Aside of the Raven/OWA and Ghost Bear/Rasalhague alliances (which both make a wacky kind of sense) all of the Clans seem to still be around more or less in their present (3062) form, actually.

>>>It also doesn't make much sense that the WoB would be so powerful that all the houses (and their new clan buddies) would have to fight for years to stop them.<<<

Didn't makes sense for the Clans either. The invading Clans were tiny compared to the Inner Sphere. After the little hitch that got put into their step by the Year of Peace, the Inner Sphere should have rolled them up and tossed them right back out.

WOB has a lot of resources. As of about 3062, they had ten divisions worth of troops (which will be expanding rapidly with their control and reeducation of Terra,) not counting Mercenary forces (of which they seem to have a lot.) And they will also be drawing on the FWLM's resources (thanks to Tommy Marik.)

So I don't find it too incredible that they could cause serious problems before the Great Houses put "paid" to their account, especially given their nearly indiscriminate use of grade-a bang-bangs.

>>>That's why I said 3062, so I could rewrite the effects of the jihad.<<<

Well, we all have our hangup years.

A lot of folks would rewrite the timeline starting with 3039
More would rewrite it starting with 3049
3062 is a good year to start the rewrite I think. The FCCW is complete bullcrap.

>>>What would you change regarding the clans?<<<

Their size. The idea that a handful of Clans could occupy the entire Inner Sphere is so ludicrous that even a Smoke Jaguar would recognize it as such.

Their technology also needs revamping (as does the SLTech.)

I actually mostly like their culture, and not much of it will get the ax.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Alemnyr
04/07/03 11:49 PM

What would you do to Clan Tech? make it more powerful? downgrade it? and SL Tech? What would you do?
Bob_Richter
04/08/03 03:05 AM

...and (internal) balance issues.

Basically, it would need to be transformed into a consistent tech-base, and many of the concepts taken from the 2750 techbase would need to be removed or replaced.

SLTech would be going away, more or less.

It must be remembered that both 'Mechs and their weapons are, in and of themselves, LosTech artifacts. They (and the parts they are made of) are constructed in ill-understood automated and orbital factories. The Common Battlemechs of the Third Succession War are relics of the Star League, the last generation of its technology.

Therefore, I would be canning the 2750 TRO and everything in it. Much of it might come back in altered versions as "Secret Weapons of 1SW" or something like that. 1SW was really the Inner Sphere's last war, and its last battlefield technology race. This should be reflected somehow.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6579

Contact Admins Sarna.net