Distribution Ethics Question

Pages: 1
Dog
04/17/03 02:49 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay so here I am with 13 episodes of an old cartoon series that no longer gets airtime, and there are no hopes of any release of the material (especially with the discontinuence of this storyline) in another form.

I've been debating the best way to go about this, I can't keep them here i've got other projects that need the space (a battletech pdf collection 1.5GB and growing). I'm thinking about burning cd's (they all fit on 1, a bit under 700MB) and distributing them for $1 a piece. However I wanted a general opinion on this before I started this.

Dog
So what do you think?
Eclipz
04/17/03 04:44 PM

I would love to have them but my guess is somebody is gonna say this is a no no.

But if not I will gladly pay the fee!! (never seen the series)

Scott
neochu
04/17/03 05:35 PM

check out the series copyright information as the copyright may have ran out that is the only problem with this also this may affect your idea of selling the BT archives you have as collecting money off of a licsensed product or line can be defined as trademark enfringement a big $$$ mess but instead of selling it try posting it to a Freeware site like chaos march.com where it can be downloaded by anyone If you are willing to distribute it this is a better way as making the discs and having to seel rthem to break even for the materials can be avoided I have seen a 90 MB pdf for a 700 page text book so you can put alot of information in a pdf. REmember freeware or files that you have created on your own of a liscensed product can be distributed for free but you must aknoledge the original creater. no matter how much information you make on your own you are not allowed tyo make any money on a product that mentions a liscened theme or product. If you want to know more you should ask a lawer he or she will help you more as I do not know evrey thing.

I look forward to seeing this large archive I hope it contains interesting things
Dog
04/17/03 06:54 PM

Well, I wouldn't be distributing the PDF's those are for my personal use/curiosity only. What i'm questioning is the Cartoon Series from 1994 from Saban entertainment. You can still find books, used if necessary. However you can't find old cartoons (well I did, they're on Kazaa if you want to find n download yourself). The storyline doesn't even match up to FASA's especially in regards to Camelot Command, the Exodus, and formation of the Clans. I'm only willing to put the Cartoons on a CD.

Dog
However the reason the PDF collection is so large, is that there's a lot of images and most of the documents are really just images of text and not text with images.
Gangrene
04/17/03 08:00 PM

If you like them then burn them. Don't distribute them for money or else you can get into a lot of trouble. One of my friends has this deal going where he will get people movies and whatever for 2 burnable CD's. One he uses for the material and the other he keeps to use for himself.
Gangrene
realworldviews
04/18/03 12:29 AM

I don't know for sure but I don't think there is a problem with getting reimbursed for the materials it takes (the CDR).
Basically its would be like someone is buying the CDR from you that just happens to have the episodes on it.

The way Neochu's friend does it would be a good way to do it though. Have people send you 2 CDRs and send them back 1 with the eps on it.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
"Dreams become reality, for all who start off with a dream"
LordChaos
04/18/03 01:31 AM

You found them on Kazaa? I've actualy looked a few times and never could find any of them myself... then again, it's rare for me to use kazaa at all.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Dog
04/18/03 03:14 AM

Yeah i've had them on there for a few months actually, computers had very little downtime. Got the first few easily but others were hard to find.

Video's Search for "Battletech" will bring em up, and Document's Search for the same will get you mad PDF's.

The thing about the dollar is that it is at cost, figure 37 to ship, 10 for the cd, 50 for the packaging (Piece of cardboard for stiffness, paper envelope to hold cd, and plastic tape to seal). Also how much would it cost to send 2 cd's? I'm sure that 1 cd is just normal stamp.

Dog
Plus, I'm a non profit organization all money earned goes immediately back into feeding, clothing, and fueling me.
Aciddog
04/18/03 04:42 AM

Don't Normally post in the section of the forums.

But ask yourself, Why would these still not be copyrighted?

In music a Copyright last for like 50 years after the person who copyrighted it dies. It's something to that effect, unless the publisher,creator or whoever holds the rights to the cartoons or artistic material gives you permission to sell,give it away free it is a crime.

This is the reason rom's,warez and MP3 trading places are shut down and people get sent to prision.

So unless your 100% sure i would advise against it.
Dog
04/19/03 12:42 AM

How about this, you can send me a cd, with self addressed envelope, cardboard backing, and blank CDR and i'll burn it onto the cd and send it back to you. Or, you can send me a dollar and i'll acquire the envelope, cardboard backing, and blank cdr and burn it onto that cd and send it to you.

This way, all I do is burn the cd for free! The dollar I use to buy the materials from my friend. I'll have a page detailing the materials required so that people can get to sending me material or money to acquire materials.

Dog
Mmmh, its all in the wording.
realworldviews
04/19/03 01:06 AM

Mmmh, its all in the wording.

true dat, true dat
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Chas
04/19/03 01:08 PM

Well, technically ANY distribution is an infringement on the owner's rights.

See: "C&D your behind and then sue you for big buckaroonies!"

Actually trying to charge cash, even if it's just to cover the cost of the CD is STILL a no-no.

This is one of the reasons why the guys doing "The Drawing Board" got yelled at (though they were asking for a LITTLE more than just the price of a blank CD.)
---
"High necked fashions just became the IN thing here on Tharkad."

-- Morgan Kell
-- Grave Covenant
Dog
04/19/03 03:50 PM

I've seen worse
Battletech Mechwarrior Cartoon Episodes on Ebay

Dog
Hows that for a violation?
Aciddog
04/20/03 09:35 AM

So because that idiot is selling illegal stuff on ebay that means u should commit a crime?

What that guy is doing is very blatent and illegal and he's asking to be caught.
Bob_Richter
04/20/03 01:46 PM

>>>Well, technically ANY distribution is an infringement on the owner's rights.<<<

If only the OWNER would distribute it, this wouldn't even be an issue.

It's very vexing. I want to see something, but it's no longer being distributed. This is the same sort of thing that caused the myth of abandonware, among others.

Personally, I think if the owner has no plans ever to distribute something, it should be viewed as a surrender of their right to do so.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Alemnyr
04/20/03 01:52 PM

That would be horrible...

As soon as you stop a production run, someone else can move in? What if you haven't printed a certain novel in 2 years? Someone else can start? Kinda ludicrous if you ask me.
Dog
04/20/03 02:06 PM

$157 for a cd. Someone is laughing their ass off, cause their .10 CDR just went for 150 dollars. I should put up an auction for cd shipping materials starting at $1 Quantity 50 and with purchase you get a free cd of battletech cartoons.

Dog
Sure its illegal but who's going to press? At least i'm not trying to rake in profits. I prefer distribution as a way to share a unique view of the battletech universe.
realworldviews
04/20/03 11:01 PM

Well there is a difference there.
If I am right I believe they never released a commericail version of the Somerset Strikers Cartoon, and if they did I have never seen it. With books even after a couple of years you can still find authorized copies of it. I have never seen a copy of the BattleTech cartoon in ANY store to my knowledge.
Colonel Brian Davis
Gamers United
Bob_Richter
04/21/03 12:08 PM

>>>What if you haven't printed a certain novel in 2 years?<<<

Why would you stop producing a novel for 2 years unless:
1) demand wasn't high enough
2) you had already made your money and didn't care to produce it anymore.

The only way to make money off of something is through distribution, and if you don't feel like doing it, why should anyone else be prevented from doing it?

Copyrights are intended to protect the author's right TO MAKE MONEY off of what he has created. If that aim is no longer being accomplished, Copyrights are no longer serving any function.

If copyrights lapsed after five or even ten years, it wouldn't be (much of) a problem, but the rule of thumb is that if it was made after Walt Disney died, it's still under copyright.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6975

Contact Admins Sarna.net