XL Engine Salvaging

Pages: 1
bricke
09/02/03 11:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am running an extended campaign and have a question. If a mech with XL engine is destroyed through losing all the IS in one torso, is the engine still salvagable since it spans 3 torso sections? Or is it completely gone? I think it would be junked but my players are thinking otherwise. Anyone know for sure the rule on this? Thanks.
CrayModerator
09/02/03 06:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
FLUFF ANSWER:
When fusion engines take 3 crits, safeties kick in and shut them down - those first crits are to shielding only. Further, XL engines only have inert shielding in the side torsos - they use a low density, bulky shielding around the reactor core. Blowing off a side torso only destroys shielding.

So, yeah, it is completely possible to salvage an XL engine that lost 3 crits in a torso.

RULES ANSWER:
Per the BMR (BMR-Unrevised pg82) section on Scavenging and Repair (Component Status):

"Weapons, ENGINES, sensors, and any other equipment that has suffered critical damage during the game may have been destroyed beyond repair.

"If every critical slot of the component has been destroyed, roll 2d6. On a result of 10 or greater, the component can be repaired. If the result is lower, the component is damaged beyond repair. The same rule applies to all components contained in a destroyed location (a location in which all internal structure is destroyed). Make a separate roll for each component or weapon.

"ITEMS THAT HAVE AT LEAST ONE UNDAMAGED CRITICAL SLOT CAN ALWAYS BE REPAIRED."
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2993

Contact Admins Sarna.net