Guesses on who took down the HPG net?

Pages: 1
DarkStar
09/15/03 12:06 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
While I am not a big fan of the "New" Battletech, the question of who took out the HPG net and why they have not taken advantage of the mayhem they created has me quite intrigued. So here is my scenario and I would like to hear yours!
All the usual players are out for this one. It needs something that hasn't been seen in awhile. Enter the Minnesota Tribe/Clan Wolverines/not named clan. There is a large area of space surrounding Pirates Haven that is virtually uninhabited. It is an almost a circular desert in a rather regularly habitable area of space. Clan Wolverine would have had to travel through this area on there way around the prephery toward the Free Worlds League which is where they were last seen if memory serves. Perhaps it was a scouting party that went on to the Free Worlds League or perhaps they backtracked but they ended up back in the area around Pirates Haven. Having the technology and military might to secure any number of worlds they built themselves up for what around two centuries. The pirates could have done little to resist them and would have found their technological advantages binding. The pirates themselves provided the perfect cover for their operations on their claimed worlds and a great way to inject spies into the innersphere. Having waited long enough for the draw down in military forces to take full effect in the innersphere they chose to attack the innersphere at it's most vulnerable point, the HPG net, to create more confusion and hostility toward each other in hopes that a new era of warfare would decimate the already meager forces of the innersphere. Now the question is when will they come forward to start taking advantage of what they have created?

StCol Gregor Levi
131st Assault Cluster
Smoke Jaguars

"Everyday survive proves the dishonor of the innersphere"
Khan Rousso Howell speaking to the surviving warriors of Clan Smoke Jaguar
Red_Jack_Ryan
09/15/03 03:08 PM

Ok I have been out of the Battle Tech fiction for somtime. I left off when Theodore got elected as president of the Star Leauge. What has happend since then???
"Death is not the worst than can happen to men." Plato
DarkStar
09/16/03 01:25 AM

Mech Warrior Dark Age takes place roughly 70 years after the end of the Lyrian Davion civil war. The major event during this 70 year break was the Word of Blake Jihad against much of the innersphere and occured mostly in and on the central worlds of the innersphere. During the Jihad a man arose from a Word of Blake reeducation camp that lead a crusade (if you will) against Word of Blake. That man was Devlin Stone. Leading the warriors from the reeducation camp he began to build a force that took back worlds oppressed by Word of Blake and collecting more warriors and followers as he went. In the end he had a sizable army and the majority of the civilians on the central worlds supported him. He took those worlds and built a new power in the innersphere called the Republic of the Innersphere. The Successor Houses (according to the fiction) seceded him these words with out a fight, in most cases, bcause the jihad had sapped their resources and they did not want to spend the time, effort and funds necessary to rebuild the central worlds, where most of the fighting had taken place. A notable exception to this was House Laio. Anyway after the Republic was formed, Devlin Stone spent a great deal of effort in relocating huge amounts of people to break up the predominant cultures on many planets so that they would not become fuel for more wars. He mixed and mingled the various cultures trying to create a more homogenous population. During this time he also called for the turning in of privately owned mechs, aerospace fighters etc. with promises of government loans for new businesses or positions of power with in the new government. The Republic military appearantly also went through a period of draw down until mechs became a very rare thing. Meanwhile the House Lords seeing the economic and political advantages of this did so as well, though to a lessor extent. War production factories of every kind were retooled for consumer goods. Peace and Prosperity reigned or so they have said. In 3130 Devlin Stone then stepped down from the leadership of the Republic promising to return if he was needed. (Very Aurthurian of him). Then at the begining of the new era, 3132, while everyone is humming along all fat and happy some malcontent group (to be named later) wiped out 80 percent of the HPG network in the innersphere as a whole in a matter of days. This caused the economies of many worlds to crash and heightened tensions across all the old and new boundaries creating many new but much smaller wars to pop out all over. Without effective communication house armies can not respond in a timely fashion to border or internal incursions and many of the much smaller players are taking advantage of the situation trying to carve out there own small empires out of the larger ones. In the current situation a single battle mech may be at the head of an amor company with supporting infantry. Industrial mechs are common place and are refitted with weapons as a poor mans mech. The Wolf clan in the innersphere is a poor shadow of it's former self. Anyway back to the question. Who took down the HPG net? No one knows and no one is taking responsiblity...yet!

StCol Gregor Levi
131st Assault Trinary
Clan Smoke Jaguar

"You want mechs? Then take your remaining warriors and get me the tools to turn this back room toy shop into a factory. Give me a decade and control of the other castes and I can form an economy that will support anything you can dream of!"

Master Merchant Nodak to Khan Rousso Howell
June 20, 3071
widowmaker
09/16/03 04:12 AM

Thanks for the update. I was in the same place as Red Jack as far as BT history went. The announcement of clicky-tech made me so mad I stopped paying attention for a while.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
09/16/03 04:14 AM

I'd say that this is the start of the WoB Jyhad.

Wonderful opening gambit, no? Step 1: Cripple human civilisation. Step 2. Nuke it 'till it glows.

If I've misunderstood and this is after the WoB Jyhad already (I refuse to have anything to do with this MW: DA crap), I still blame the Wobblies. It's exactly the sort of thing they'd do. "Hey, this failed 100 years ago! Let's try it again!"
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
DarkStar
09/16/03 12:28 PM

This has occured after the WoB Jihad. Whoever did this was extremely well financed and organized. In many cases the destruction of the HPG's was done by inside men or women destroying key components, in some cases by brute force. This means that the orgnaization responsible has a large network of covert operatives, the discipline and finances to pull off an innersphere wide attack and obviously some technical knowledge of HPGs. Throwing out the possibility of an innersphere wide assault for only a local gain leaves only a few players. Most of the innersphere empires lack the forces necessary to follow up on this type of opening. The clans outside the innersphere, assumning they have remained strong, would have the technical knowledge and with seventy years could have developed the covert operative base and have an obvious motive. Word of Blake, I would think, would be pretty much out of the picture after their destruction during the Jihad. If not they would still revere the HPG network as the grand work of Jerome Blake and not want to see it destroyed. Comstar wouldn't cut their own throat and cost themselves billions or trillions in fees. The innersphere empires needed the HPG network to direct their forces effectively. Even the "black boxes" used by the Davions would make efective communications problematic due to the slowness of transmission and text only capablilty. The Clans outside the innersphere seem to have gone totally warden. So since most of the usual suspects are out...who did it?

StCol Gregor Levi
131st Assault Cluster
Clan Smoke Jaguar

"Warriors! Listen to me! You want the oppurtunity to excell! I will give it to you. Chief Merchant Nodak has an impressive list of things that he needs. It is our job to get it for him. We do this the way Smoke Jaguars have always aquired things. We fight fo it!"

Star Captain Joachim Weaver to Beta Trinary, Striker, Grim Reapers.
Rotwang
09/16/03 05:50 PM

Here are some suggestions :
- WOB is back, badder than ever
- Devlin Stone is behind it
- Crusader Clans
- A completely new faction, probably with some completely new special tech that will be incorporated into the clix game, possibly Pilots from the 1930's, Doctor Doom, Frosty the Snotman or Harlequin's back again.
tgsofgc
09/17/03 12:48 AM

The Y3.2 K bug...
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Vicen_Korel
10/11/03 09:37 PM

Bah! as far as i'm concerned if it doesn't give a tonnage for the mech, requires more than 2d6, and takes away your ability to make any machine of war up to 100 tons, then it isn't Battletech and does not count for anything.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
Dodger67
11/08/03 06:51 AM

Daioshen Laio did it and he is taking advantage of it. It's called the LAIO INCURSION
Silenced_Sonix
11/15/03 02:04 PM

MW:DA = crap
Authors who wrote/write for MW:DA = crap (Michael A. Stackpole, who did book 1 of the MW:DA story - one of the worst pieces of sci-fi I've read in a long time)
BattleTech != Warhammer, which is what this MW:DA stinks of

Who took out the HPG? - They prolly don't know themselves, and I wouldn't be surprised if some random long-dead character like Hitler or Stalin is eventually blamed.

MW:DA =< 0
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/16/03 12:16 AM

hehe a clone of Amaris the usurper....
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8902

Contact Admins Sarna.net