Orbital Bombardment

Pages: 1
Firekid
11/09/03 04:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Do any of you know how I would go about using orbital bombarment in the BG? You see I play aginst a friend alot and I almost always lose we were thinking that I could do orbital bombardment.
CrayModerator
11/09/03 08:38 PM

Well...you kinda need Aerotech 2 (see page 39), and you need to know what warship(s) is doing the bombarding.

From there...

1) The warship doing the bombarding can't fire on space targets in the same turn
2) The target ground hex must be in the firing arc of the warship of the weapons bay(s) being used, and must be in range (hence, only capital weapons with "long" or "extreme" range can be used)
3) The attacker picks a hex on the ground map to be the target
4) The attack is then resolved using the artillery rules in the ground game/Battletech Master Rules, except...

*The damage value of each attack is the attack value of the weapon bay(s) used. So, that's a maximum of 700 points of Battletech damage per bay.
*Apply the normal modifiers for CIC or sensor damage
*Missed shots scattered 1d6 hexes multiplied by the amount the roll failed by.
*Naval laser and naval PPC shots arrive the same turn they're fired
*Naval autocannons and GR shots arrive the next turn (1 turn in flight)
*Capital missiles and standard scale weapons cannot can't hit ground targets (for now...wait for AT2-Revised for a revision of cap missiles)
*Naval fire support can't be pre-plotted

The damage is applied over a large area. At the impact hex, damage is inflicted equal to the weapon bay's attack value (in capital points, maximum 70) x 10. Each hex away from the impact, reduce the multiplier by 2. So the blast ends up being 9 hexes across.

Targets in the impact hex will take damage as if punched in the back (use the rear, punch hit locations). Determine attack direction to any units in the rest of the area take damage as if the attack originated from the impact hex. Woods and buildings provide no protection, but if a hill higher than both the impact hex and target unit intervenes, that target unit takes no damage.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Firekid
11/11/03 04:03 PM

Thank you, it worked pretty good.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5332

Contact Admins Sarna.net