and favorite of favorites:
Nova

please only include standard mechs
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
CrayModerator
10/15/03 12:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Battlemaster. None of the stock models really suit me, but it's got style.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (10/15/03 03:03 PM)
tgsofgc
10/15/03 01:58 PM

Mine Are,
Inner Sphere:
Thug
Beserker
Awesome (8Q or 9Q)
Cerebus
Orion
Zeus
Clan:
Warhammer IIC
Orion IIC
Arctic Wolf
Blood Kite
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
10/15/03 05:00 PM

For the Inner Sphere? The Shadow Hawk and the Wolverine. So much versatity...

For the Clans? The Timber Wolf. Nothing else even comes close...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Grizzly
10/15/03 05:24 PM

3025 era Grasshopper, 3055 era Awesome 9Q (IIRC) w/4 PPC, Scarabus, and Enforcer (all variants).
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
widowmaker
10/16/03 12:20 AM

Inner Sphere:
3025 WHM-6R Warhammer
3055 GUN-1ERD Gunslinger

Clan:
Dire Wolf Widowmaker
Warhawk C

and my absolute favorite:
1 lance SRM carriers (3025)

Why? They're cheap, they're powerful, and if they start the game hidden in a city hex, someone's going to get a nasty point blank surprise. Imagine 40 SRM-6's letting go at the same time, during the movement phase, at a range of 1 hex, with no movement or terrain modifiers.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Xeus
10/18/03 04:07 PM

Zeus
Dreams are all I have.
LordChaos
10/21/03 12:00 AM

Stinger LAM
Awsome 8Q
Zeus-6T (the PPC varient).
Panther.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:46 AM

I was wondering if anyone would throw in a LAM. Talk about the ultimate unseen 'Mech.

That being said, I kinda miss 'em. Guardian mode rocked!
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:51 AM

Whoops! Slipped up there. Guardian mode is for the Veritech (i.e. ROBOTECH). The Battletech name for that mode was... er... hang on a sec...

Air-Mech mode. Had to dig out the old Aerotech box set.

So, in revision, Air-Mech mode rocked!
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/21/03 02:53 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont say the "R" word!
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
LordChaos
10/21/03 04:48 PM

I had a lance of them.. and 2 Wasp LAMs and 2 Phawk LAMs.....

but I liked the Stinger model best.

(still kicking himself for giving away his collection years ago)
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Adous
11/12/03 04:02 PM

Scorpion
Awesome
Catapult
King Crab

that's my lance.

add the Flea if a fifth is needed.
Scorpion, lurks low in dark trentes of the city. Now add Jump Jets, and a deadly blow it has.
tgsofgc
11/12/03 06:58 PM

ewwww.. a scorpion, silly four legged thing
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/12/03 10:18 PM

Underestimate it at your own risk. It goes 6/9, is a Quad, and has a PPC and SRM-6. Fluff-wise, it may blow. But in the field...

That being said, for 50 tons, I always pick the Centurion. AH model all the way...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
11/12/03 10:33 PM

Yada yada yada... (i actually know its not bad, especially in 3025) but i like Wolverine better.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Grizzly
11/13/03 01:17 AM

hmmm.... Wolverine, especially the Marik variant, is good. The Scorpion may be much maligned, but I find it to be a decent mech, especially the updated version that has double heat sinks... Centurion, Trebuchet, Dervish, Starslayer, Lynx and Enfield are all good choices in the 50/55 ton range.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Nightward
11/14/03 01:22 AM

The Wraith and Wolverine-7K are my favourite 55-tonners. They have Pulse Lasers, so you actually hit!
tgsofgc
11/14/03 01:52 AM

Lol what are these things called pulse lasers...
(I was talking about the marik version of the 3025 one too, definately among the best mechs in the TRO:3025. Even though it was just presented as a variant and not the base model)
Yeah I like those mechs too but I don't like their price tags. That was the time period of the 14 mil medium battlemech. Hey any idea why the mechs in the dubious TRO: Phoenix are less/better (and in many ways more realistic) upgrades than they gave us in TRO: 3050. I mean 3050 everything is using xl engines and lots of high tech gizmos but we don't get the nice half upgrades that logically use advanced tech with out costing 14 mil till what like 3062+. Maybe their faith in our ability to refit mechs changed, and we no longer needed the ugly fasa mechs.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/14/03 04:21 AM

Now, now, let's not bash FASA without looking at their reasoning. Nearly everyone will agree that the refits in TR:3050 weren't always the 'best' upgrades, or even the most logical, but look at the fictional perspective. The Inner Sphere was in a panic. They were, in a nut-shell, getting their buts handed to them. They were desperate for anything that would narrow the tech gap between themselves and the Clans. Therefore they grabbed anything and everything that, theoretically, from any defensible point of view, would help them, and threw it into service as quick as they could. As time passed, the drawbacks to some of the new tech became apparent, the Clan threat was stalled, and engineers had time to design with both the pros and cons in hand. Make sense?

As an example of how FASA tried to make 'Mechs based on how the fictional designers supposedly thought, I present two Dire Wolf variants: the Dire Wolf Prime, and the Dire Wolf Widowmaker.

The DW Prime follows the typical Clan reasoning of 'throw as many weapons on there as possible, and may the pilot find glory in their use.' (My own interpretation of typical Prime variants) Most everything on this 'Mech has the appearance of having been 'throw together'. Each arm alone is capable of 34 heat (10 less than heat sink capacity), and even grouping the weapons by range results in a main firing TIC that overheats the 'Mech by 10. Of the 7 pod heat sinks added, none were placed in the most logical place (the unallocated Right Leg). And the XL engine is made more vulnerable by the inclusion of LRM-10 ammo in the Left Torso. All in all a dangerous, but definitely flawed 'Mech.

The DW Widowmaker, on the other hand, is the personal variant of Natasha Kerensky. No one has ever accused her of being stupid (and lived), so FASA took care to make her 'Mech tight. Every critcal space on the 'Mech is used. The weapons composing the primary armament (2 ER PPCs, 2 LPLs) have complementary ranges, and their combined heat exactly equal the total heat sink capacity. The 'Mech has a definite knockout punch with a UAC/20 in the Right Torso, but the ammo is cleverly located in the Right Arm, thus protecting the XL Engine from an ammo explosion. And when the oppurtunity presents itself to use the knockout punch, the extra heat can easily be managed by not firing one of the PPCs (since the 'Mech is so well armed, there's no need to fire the UAC until one has a 'pot shot', and one should always double tap). All in all a well-designed, versatile, and deadly 'Mech.

Is it obvious what my favorite 'Mech is?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
11/14/03 05:02 AM

3050 was written from the fluff perspective. TR: Phoenix is pure, unmitigated twink.

Both have their high points

And yes, your favourite 'Mech is very evident. Obviously, you are a proponent of the Hoplite

Personally, I like Pulse Lasers. Then again, I play tournaments. I am waiting with bated breath for the first TR design which is a Quad (so I don't fall over every time I have to take a piloting test; accursed Pilot Skill 5) and Pulse Lasers (so I can hit; accursed Gunnery Skill 4).

And I'm a Drac. Have -K model, will travel.
Grizzly
11/14/03 09:28 AM

I really like the Wraith (speed/manuverability), even though I think it is under armed for its size. There are a lot of good Wolverine variants out there, so I agree with you there too. Not a huge fan of pulse lasers, I tend to like ERMeds and standard Larges for the most part, but I also think that the standard PPC(IS) is superior to its ER(IS) counterpart and my favorite weapon is probably the LBX-10. So I am kinda partial to Centurions and Enforcers (all). But I would rather pilot a 50/55 tonner over most anything else (except the 3025 Grasshopper).
Grizzly
11/14/03 09:35 AM

I have to agree with Widowmaker on the Fluff reason for the 3050 mechs. But also consider that FASA had just come out with all this new tech. They wanted to use it in the new(at that time) TRO, so they used as much as they could and came up with the 3050 mechs. Not necessarily bad or good, just new. We as gamers didn't necessarily notice the pro's/con's of the new tech and probably FASA didn't either. Heck by doing this they gave many of us a reason to tweak the TRO 3050 mechs to our liking and got us to delve into the good and bad points of all the new technology. I can't fault them, at the time I hated the whole clan idea, now it just gives me more options to play with!
tgsofgc
11/14/03 12:24 PM

Hehe,
Ok ok I give. Thats how I always justified it to myself as well (the clan pressure). About the quad may I suggest the the VKG-2G Viking, its a variant thats in the record sheets 3060. Its a 90 ton quad that moves 3/5/0 and has:
1 Lg pulse laser
3 med pulse lasers
1 gauss rifle
1 LB-10x
1 Guardian ECM
2 tons of LB-10x ammo
2 tons of Gauss Rifle ammo
12 double heat sinks
a very mean mech, oh and did I mention that it doesn't have a xl engine. Just thought I'd point it out cause its more than easy enough to forget about, then again aren't most of em that came out post 3058.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/14/03 12:34 PM

I knew that sounded to good for a quad...
OOPS
The viking wasn't, I was thinking of the Sirocco. Yup it only has a single med pulse laser. Heh maybe I can convince you to meander into battle in a Viking, it looks kinda like a four legger well somwhere between a four legger and a catapult on steroids.
Well the Bishamon has 2 med pulses.
Come to think of it you must love TRO:3060 right? I mean it has at least 3 tims the number of quads as anyother TRO right?
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/14/03 05:06 PM

TR: 3060 wasn't too bad. I did like the Shugenja and the idea behind the Tai-Sho. Even if the actual execution of the Tai-Sho blew. (Hey, PH34r m3! I have 2 ER PPCs and not enough heat sinks to fire them! And if you can take out my ammo, I loose my reason for even being in the field!)

The Clan 'Mechs were great, though. We finally got a Highlander IIC. I'm still drooling over that one.

The Viking is OK, but personally, I prefer the original configuration. Even with those stupid leg-mounted Small Lasers. So many LRMs. And a Standard Engine. Ahh. All hail the Com Guard, builders of sensible 'Mechs.

The Quads were OK. I did like the Stalking Spider. But the Inner Sphere ones kinda sucked; IS XL Engines and all. The Barghest was OK, but then, as soon as anyone sees a Barghest, they're all: "A BARGHEST! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT NOW! IT'S A QUAD WITH AN A/C-20! DIE DIE DIE!"

The Bishamon was interesting, especially with the MRMs. But my benchmark for a Quad is the Tarantula; a nasty little 35-tonner from TR: 3055.

The major reason I hate TR: 3060 so bad is the accompanying RS: 3060. They screwed my poor little Panthers and Grand Dragons over yet again, whilst handing out the best new toys to the Federated Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance >:{

I'll give them what for!
widowmaker
11/14/03 05:20 PM

Ooooo... the 3025 Grasshopper... how could I forget the greatest Level 1 skirmisher ever created? Add that to my list of favorites, good call.

All in all, reading everything that's been said about the newer books, I guess I'm going to have to buy some books. I stopped buying new books just after FASA shut down *brushes a tear from eye*. Sounds like a good use for my tax refund.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
11/14/03 08:14 PM

Seen the RS: Upgrades version of the Grashopper? Mmm... PPC goodness...
tgsofgc
11/14/03 10:56 PM

*drool* Awesome 9Q... sorry lost it for a minute. Yeah to be honest as they progress in time I have been less fond of each of the TROs and the Record Sheets but, you gotta love that feel reading through a new TRO after its been a while.
I dunno though I haven't bought anything since RS:3060 and to be honest don't really have plans to. I mean I like the idea of the newer Field manuals but I am a mechwarrior 2nd editioner and thing 3rd is stupid (it just isn't mechwarrior). Also while I was always more of a level 1 player (at least for campaigns) I think they've finally started to push the munchkin tech too far. I mean is targeting comps?, Rotary autocannons?, Stealth armor?, c3i?, Heavy Gauss?, and (though I've never seen anyone even attempt to use em in a campaign) protomechs?. I mean the equipment is alright if you are just doing the level 3 tourny style play its all fine but come on do we need this l33t stuff in the base game?
please excuse that little rant.

ps. I think most tech is fun and fine if used with a good GM (especially when they make sure its balanced) but the chances of a good GM drop with the more heavy decisions they need to make imho (gosh never new i had so little faith in people before, well i pretend anyways)
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/14/03 11:02 PM

Heh what about the downgraded guillotine? Also while talking about beautiful 3025 mechs let us not forget the Orion ON1-VA. Gosh I love that mech a truely mean 3025 brawler.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 34009

Contact Admins Sarna.net