What is your favorite mech(s)?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Nightward
11/15/03 01:50 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Lol. First I read this post, then I looked at your Twin Engine post. What was that about 733t t3cl-l again ?

I don't actively despise any Tech base. It's just that sometimes I wish they'd think things through; if one affiliation is supposed to get uber tech toys to play with, then to make things fair, everyone should get uber tech toys to play with. My DCMS has been getting hammered in this fashion for a while, but I feel sorry for the Rasalhagians and FWLMers who have been completely ignored whilst the Federated Suns, Capellan Confederation, and Lyran Alliance wound up with all the l<3\/\/7 gear. And don't even get me started on the Random Unit Assignment tables :rolls eyes:...

But, yeah. The thing.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
11/15/03 02:12 AM

The big thing is from my stand point the cannon as presented is meant primarily to aid in scenarios and the RPG. To this extent while all the factions should be somewhat equal only through being different can they feel unique.
This was most true in 3025 when the preferences were very much there. Now a days from what I can tell the differences across the IS are this:
The DCMS has c3 and still has most the omnis
Lyrans have lots of omnis especially with big weapons jammed in em (heavy gauss)
Davion has the most rotary acs (though don't they all have them?)
Marik still thinks the light gauss is useful
Cap is a big dog with a little state and equipment that should have let them conquor the sphere. The stealth armor is godly imo.

Well so access to equipment bad for a fair game, but a fair game makes it more intressting (to an extent). For instance 2 shadow hawks fighting is very fair but a shadow hawk and wolverine fighting is still fairly fair though imho a much more intressting battle because each has unique tactical agenda dictated by their options.

Also to be honest I was never a fan of Targetting computers when the clans had em, but it was more acceptable because you could always use:
1) honor code prevents them using -1 to hit
2) trying for the artful kill and this worse pilot contnually is taking bad shots with the +3 to target specific locations

Oh btw I really hate EI, and I never let that into games.

About the twin engine it was posted for you time tested veterans to help me tone it down into a balanced component. As is it costs more than xl, saves less weight, costs more crits, and is only marginally better survival wise than an xl. Also the tonnage saved, primarily is only good for BIG engines smaller engines it works out to a bad version of the light engine. As equipment it is meant to be weird, though more (questionably so) useable than the XXL engine which is only really balanced by cost, which many l33t btech players ignore.

Plus anything is alright in moderation with a good GM, even giving players acces to clan salvage. Is it just me or am i crankety?
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Firekid
11/16/03 07:09 AM

I like the Puma for it's high-octane high-power ER PPC's
tgsofgc
11/16/03 07:16 AM

heh you clan sissy j/k
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Silenced_Sonix
11/16/03 01:16 PM

Yeah, what's wrong with some Clan action? Nothing like two UAC/20 shells in a 'Mech's butt to get it out of the game - fast
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
11/16/03 02:28 PM

You know the joy of victory against unsurmountable odds right? Anyways the clans were put into Battletech (imho) to basically give the PCs a general bigger, badder, more shadowy enemy to face. I am not sure they ever intended for the clans to be a big part for players.
Why?
Because most of the clantech is super super good in comparision to inner sphere tech, is limited (even among the clans) by cannon lore, and isn't balanced very well against the other tech in terms of cost or BV (imho). An analogy if I may...
Suppose we decide to play a war game, and you a lowly infantry man is issued a simply standard issue rifle. Now I may want to help you feel like your a character of heroic proportions and decide to give the enemies access to 31st century laser rifles, so you really have acheived something when killing them. (Also this encourages you to think in terms of tactics, versus brute force) Now suppose you kill one of these enemy soldiers and take his laser. This is all fine and well because the rifle while very powerful only helps you start to offset the "unsurmountable odds", you had to earn it, and it is very rare and precious to you. Now suppose I gave all the players unlimited access to these 31st century lasers at the beginning of play, and at least half of all your enemys simply have 21st century rifles. This would force me to either offset it with other factors, such as the upkeep cost of the rifle, or by forcing you to fight larger numbers of these weak soldiers.

Well maybe I made somepoint, or maybe I inadvertantly just started ranting again. Like I said before this is imo and may not necessarily be your opinion, though i hope I explained why I have my opinion.

Also: some clantech is just broken (in game mechanics terms), such as the Lg Pulse Laser.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
11/16/03 11:53 PM

Clan Tech is broken? Have you looked at Stealth Armour lately? Or C3?

Arg.

It's a matter of personal taste, I guess. I really like the Clans, but it seems to just be me
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
widowmaker
11/17/03 05:28 AM

All of the above (Clantech, IS Newtech, even Star League tech to a certain extent), with the balance issues and the power-housing... this is why I love Level One play. Clean, simple, and just plain FUN. Remember the days when the extra heat from an engine critical meant you had a serious heat problem? 5 heat is nothing these days, but back then it could kill you. And that second engine hit was a death warrant.

I get nostalgic occasionally.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/17/03 11:23 AM

The only problem in level 1 play, imho, is that certain equipment etc. there is never a reason to use (aside from it coming standard, or being all you had). Though that was probally the last time autocannons were close to the effectiveness of energy weapons.
My preference is for late level one campaigns (especially mercenary ones) run with mechwarrior 2nd edition around the 3030s.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Sarge
11/18/03 01:09 AM

Heh getting this back to the original topic

My favs are:

Stalker ( 8S )
Marauder
Wolverine
Griffin
Jenner
Dragonfire
Warhammer ( 6D )
Thunderbolt
Centurion ( AH )

-Sarge
Corsair_SG
11/19/03 03:07 PM

Battlemaster 3025
ShadowHawk 3025
Archer 3025
WarHammer 3025
Banshee-S 3025

Alltime Favorite
Orion 3025
Sarge
12/17/03 02:12 AM

Stalker! Especially the 8S model!
The Kurita Archer
The Steiner and Marik Marauders
Dragonfire
Jenner
Tarantula
Warhammer 6D
the 4 PPC Awesome
The Charger ( both the SB and the LBX-20 versions)
Wolverine 7M. It just won't die whenever I use it. I don't know why but I've stopped questioning it and simply enjoy it!
-Sarge
JStallion
02/01/04 12:25 PM

hey not everyone hates clan tech

i like the clan 20-ton prihana, 12 machine guns=24 damage w/ no heat and fast enough to close in quick
Shadowdancer
02/14/04 12:13 AM

I'd have to say the Marauder IIC. The original one, that is.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Silenced_Sonix
02/14/04 08:09 AM

Mad Cat. Nothing can beat a Mad Cat at that perfect Clan look, coupled with a weapon array that is potentially lethal (in capable hands, that is) at all ranges. The Mad Cat symbolises evyerthing the Clans stand for - their war-like attitude, their savage appearance, and their unbridled ferocity in combat.
Evolve or Die
DedJester
02/15/04 01:37 AM

Ostsol 4D
it's not everyday you take out an equal weight clan mech(Mad Dog) with average pilot. Did it during a gaming convention here.

Tarantula for speed. I had one in a lance of heavies and an assult with C3 network nasty.
Masakari for killing power(gotta love pusle lasers with targeting computer).
"I have orders to be awakened at any time in the case of a national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."
Ronald Reagan.
Corbeau
02/16/04 03:15 AM

Vindicator - My mech of choice, and the main reason I commonly play the Capellan Confederation (that and the fact I feel sorry for the CapCon ).
Panther - My fav light mech, and also a staple of House Kurita - my first choice in factions.
Marauder - A mech that complements both the Panther and Vindicator, and if I had a choice would be the command mech for most of my lances.
Grasshopper & Catapult - Mix 2 Grasshoppers and two Cats and you have one heck of a lance! My favorite lance combo, it works well in my Liao force.

Hmm, in retrospect... I seem to like something about 4/6/x mechs.

And even though it's not a mech, I just have to give honorible mension to the Savannah Master.
----
Corbeau (the annoying BT n00b)
HardKorHippy
03/02/04 09:08 PM

Gotta go with the Kodiak, followed by the Grizzly. They may not be Omnis, but they have more than enough firepower to take on any comers. Other faves are the Mad Cat, Vulture, Summoner, Conjuror (is it just me or is this mech vastly underused?), Axman if armed with an AC/20, Black Python, Hunchback, Hunchback IIC, Raven, Hitman, and Puma. Oh, and sorry for the long list.
Paladin
03/07/04 06:24 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Shadow Cat. It's quick as anything and packs quite the punch for a 45 ton machine. That said, I prefer playing Level 1 games a lot and favour the Enforcer, Centurion and Grasshopper there.
Toontje
03/08/04 04:52 AM

CPLT-C1, definately. Some ranged power, short range, HS to boot, and jump! It's almost as evil as the munchback, all 3025 of cause.
From the newer I like the thunder tho it's prone to die, and the Ti Ts'ang. Further: Stealth! Vindicator, raven, anything! Combine in a augumented lance with a couple of chaparrals, some homing and inferno IV rounds, and you're set to whip the enemy.
Rather to blow up, then.

Edited by Toontje (03/08/04 04:54 AM)
Death_Fire
04/23/04 11:49 AM

Mechs? The only one of value is one with speed and power!
Gota go with the Clan Thor.
Has enough power to take out a Dire Wolf, and fast enough to run away afterward.
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
TheCrusader
02/08/05 10:20 PM

I classify My favs by weight class.

Light:
Panther
Jenner

Medium:
Shadow Hawk
Enforcer

Heavy:
Crusader(obviously)
Dragon
Exterminator

Assualt:
Zeus
Cyclops
Highlander
fenix
10/01/05 03:18 PM

3025 fave mechs...

jenner (without SRM variant) - more armor, fast and shooty
wolverine-M - just plain tough and badass... the LL on the marik version is much better than the AC5
awesome - the name says it all... i think this guy could take any mech 1 on 1 in 3025
grasshopper - jumpy, armored, and no heat problems... not too excited by the LRM5 though

for style over substance i gotta go with centurion, orion, clint, and commando just cuz they look cool
for nostalgia i would pick Archer, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt, and Locust

how about WORST mechs? i gotta say the STINGER cuz 2 MGs and a ton of ammo is just dumb when you only have a few tons space to work with
the cicada - why bother... may as well get a locust
vulcan - ac/2 is wimpy. and the mech just looks ridiculous
, jagermech - needs more armor and less AC2
, and finally the charger - which is the biggest waste of tonnage i can imagine
purely aesthetic concerns make me dislike the ost-mechs, stalker, vulcan, scorpion
MisterAnderson
10/06/05 12:01 AM

3025 Wolverine would have to be favourite mech of all time (Marik version is best) & was the first mech I ever used.

Then something like the following:
**ALL 3025**
Warhammer (Davion or Kurita Variant)
Grasshopper (5-N PPC Variant)
Awesome
Charger 1A5 (AC20/SRM6 Variant)
Crusader (Davion Variant)
Thunderbolt (Standard or Steiner Variant)
Orion
Hunchback 4P or 4SP (8 med lasers! or 2 SRM6 + 4 med lasers)
Imp
King Crab
Atlas
Jenner 7F (Doesn't everone love this mech?)
Wolfhound
Mongoose
Javelin 10F
KamikazeJohnson
11/04/05 03:28 AM

Hands down the best heavy in the game. The only heavies that had a chance against it were teh jump-capable ones, and those usually only in unkind terrain. In the open, I've pasted more than one B-Master with my trusty T-Bolt
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Auren_Shiro
11/08/05 08:25 AM

Whammy IIC. I love it... then again, who doesn't love a whammy?
Need...more...Nevcrack...
indigoglyph
12/23/05 11:22 AM

Sounds like we should have a vote - no votes on this forum, then?

Warhammer - nearly 20yrs ago I had that gorgeous cutaway poster
Rifleman - bro & I had models as kids
Goliath - gotta have a quad
Blood Asp & Uziel - getting me back into CBT, just on the basis of their looks!
HydroSqueegee
12/28/05 08:57 AM

HBK-4G just for the fact it was the first mech i ever played with.

Other favorites in no particular order
CRD-3D
PHX-1D
MAD-3D
WHM-6R
BJ-1
FS9-H

Im not very into Assaults or anything after 3025
Octavian
12/28/05 10:03 AM

i love it when mechs carry many many longe-range-missiles, just beautiful. the kuritan naginate for example has on its HANDS 15 longeĀ“-range missiles, simply beautiful.

but my favourite mech is the GUNSLINGER GUN-1ERD. i only know him from one single card from the battletech TCG, but its enough. what can be more potent and precisely than 2 gauss rifles as arms of a battlemech??
Toontje
12/28/05 02:16 PM

Thunderhawk: -->3<--- GR.

Actually an assaultkiller like the Ti Ts'ang, or Buccaneer to a lesser extent, can eat gunslingers or thunderhawks for breakfast.

Alltime favorite stays cplt-c1 tho. LRM's for softening, and a buckload of ml's to support the rounding up (lance/lance).
Rather to blow up, then.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 33230

Contact Admins Sarna.net