Random Mech Builder

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
11/13/03 01:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was kinda intressted if anone has done this before:
Develop a small program that basically outputs a "randomly" designed mech.
Some one with a greater understanding of programming, btech design, and especially layering the approriate steps, could likely develop functions that "build" random mechs based on a general mission style (ie fire support, sr brawler, multirole, raider, etc), with optionally controlled variables (such as speed, or armor, etc).
Utility? Well not much just a curious oddity I'm wondering about, might be fun if you enjoy programming. It could if made fairly powerful be an ideal way to keep players on their feet in a Mechwarrior Campaign as you could base the campaign in a world where "customized" and "unique" units are far more common than in cannon.
Just a couple, or one?, idea/s.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/13/03 03:59 AM

OW

I can see the general blueprint in my head, but that would be one serious headache. One would need to database the entire equipment table, create structures (or maybe classes) for each 'Mech weight, classify each weapon with a weighted system for the different roles...

And armor... *shudders*

I can definitely see the usefullness, though. If, down the road a bit, it still hasn't been done, I may tinker with it.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/16/03 12:21 AM

Heh scripting (and programing) is all about a moment of creativity sandwiched by hours of monotny though, right? Anything you'd be willing to do would be awesome, even if it only works for say a single weight.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/18/03 10:41 PM

You just had to post this, didn't you? This thing has been creeping into my head during idle moments more and more since you posted this. If it weren't so irrational I'd despise you for doing this to me. I'm going to see what I can do with this. I'm only going to do Level One tech to start; ain't no way I'm tackling all that $%!^ in BMR yet.

I'll be doing this in Java because 1) the compiler is a free download from Sun Microsystems, 2) Java is usable on any platform, and 3) I'm currently taking Java classes, so I can recruit help if I need it.

Don't expect anything soon. This will take a while.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/19/03 12:15 AM

Heh if it makes you feel any better I didn't mean to place this hex on you. Level One is pretty awesome, and definately a great start. If you known and free software laying around that would let me compile C++ and a visual program for it, I may try too. However all my scripting experience has come from Neverwinter Nights, and may be useless in this more prectical application.

Good Luck, and THANK YOU!
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/19/03 12:32 AM

My initial thought is to have the program ask for the type of 'Mech desired. I think the 'Mech classifications in First Strike will do nicely: Scout, Striker, Skirmisher, Brawler, Missile Boat, Sniper, and Juggernaut. Does that cover everything you want? I'm still undecided whether to ask for a weight class as well, what do you think?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/19/03 12:50 AM

Hmmm well sounds good, except don't forget Multirole (has weapons at a variety of ranges, sometimes called a dueler) and Random (just pure randomness, in that it picks a role at random and makes it).

How I (heh your the one making it though) would set it would be as follows:
Role: As Above + Random (Select One)
Tonnage: All Official + Random (Select One)
Walk MP: All Possible at Selected Tonnage + Random (If tonnage is set to Random you can't control this aspect)

Course my vague understanding of difficulty is probally going to lead you down a dead end...
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/19/03 01:06 AM

Skirmishers are the multirole class.

Yeah, the random would be OK. Random weight wouldn't be completely random, as some roles would preclude some weights (a 100-ton scout 'Mech?), but it's doable.

Walk MP not selectable; it's a function of role. Scouts are fast, juggernauts are ponderous, and so on.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/19/03 01:09 AM

Hehe excellent forethought, though expect to see a 100 ton scout mech up here tomorrow
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7653

Contact Admins Sarna.net