FM: Homebrew

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
11/13/03 03:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well doubt this is original, but I had an idea to put together a webpage based on all the great fan created content. The name of course would be Battletech Feild Manual: Homebrew (or something like it), but there are few issues.
1) Would anyone find this useful, and/or think that others would as well?
2) Should the site feature lots of differing fan created expansions (such as rules, not just equipment), much like maxtech?
3) What homebrew should go on it, and if its my decision will I be offending people?
4) Is this forum considered public domain, namely could I reproduce some of the older proposed equipment (propperly creditted of course) posted by those that aren't round these parts anymore?
5) Should it reproduce (read as: archive) the rules or simply be more of a topical assortment of links to where these rules are scattered about?
Just some more ideas, note I make no garuantees I'll ever make it.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/14/03 01:08 AM

1) Yes, and yes.
2) Yes.
3) Just my humble opinion here, but the best bet would be to either include everything you can find and let those visiting your site pick and choose what they like, or make every rule a matter of public debate, hear what everyone thinks, and either tweak the rule until most everyone likes it, or ditch it because no one can agree how it should work. Or just throw whatever you want on there; it's your site
4)Hmmm... I would do my best to contact the originators and get their permission. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't making money off it, but better safe than sorry.
5)Definitely reproduce. Links to the original sites would be cool, but personally, I hate top lists.

All IMHO, of course.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
LordChaos
11/18/03 05:32 AM

4 - I hereby grant you permision to use anything and everything I've created so long as you give me credit. And I'll drench you with more if you wish. ;-)
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
tgsofgc
11/18/03 12:59 PM

Heh OK, drench away. After all the forum doesn't go on forever.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/19/03 04:12 AM

Well for those of you that might not know yet, I did decide to make the website.
If you want to watch it develop (i'm going as fast as I can in my free time) its at:
www.geocities.com/fmhomebrew
So far on the site, is a nuimber of Cray's Equipment (Craytech?), Renegade Tech (he gave me permision to put up the .pdfs), and most of the "connective tissue" of the site if you will.

Anyways if you have any rules or equipment that you want me to post, simply either reply here, post them in the Guestbook of the site, or email them to: fmhomebrew@yahoo.com. Also please don't forget to post whatever name you want it credit as, ie a name, or a handle, or whatever....
Avanti's Angels, 3058
LordChaos
11/19/03 05:19 PM

Check your mail.
widowmaker
11/20/03 01:30 AM

Looks good.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
wartang
11/20/03 02:28 PM

anti mech traps would be good
and yes you may use my stuff as long as my lance gets credit for it
i love this game
davion76
11/20/03 02:43 PM

as to 3) I agree put up lots of stuff!!! But I would suggest assigning all the equipment a Battletech tech Level and a rating on how well the tech fits that level of play. I personally really like the original LVL 1 technology, but wish there was more variablility in it.
widowmaker
11/20/03 10:23 PM

By defintion, all house rules are Level 3. Level 1 is the rules contained in BT 4ed; Level 2 is the rules contained in BMRR. Everything else (BTH, MaxT, home rules, etc) is Level 3.

I understand your meaning: design weapons/equipment/rules with the intent of integrating them with existing Level 1/2 weapons/equipment/rules. I was just pointing out that, by definition, it would be Level 3, even if it made an AC2 look like a howitzer.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/21/03 12:09 AM

Actualy they are all level "does not exist" or level 4 because....
(you could read the site's "levels of Battletech section")
level 3 is all optional rules published by FASA or MFUK according to Maxtech. So when we make rules they are level 4.
I understand the desire... and will due my best to update with compatiability notes but don't expect that for a lil while I want to get more online first.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
11/21/03 01:06 AM

I guess it's a matter of interpretation. Take this direct quote from BMRR:
Quote:

Level Three BattleTech play may include any of the optional rules presented in various BattleTech products such as Maximum Tech, as well as in the various MechForce publications worldwide.

The operative word is may. I've always taken this to mean, "including, but not limited to". There is also the line from later in the same paragraph:
Quote:

Players may use Level Three rules as they see fit.

All home rules automatically fit with this, which suggests to me that the spirit of the Level system was to make Level One the basic game, Level Two the standard game, and Level Three the optional rules. Since home rules are optional, I lump them with Level Three.

I see the logic in distinguishing between published optional rules (Level Three) and home rules (Level Four, 3.5, pi, or whatever ). I just disagree.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
11/21/03 01:17 AM

heh I based mine on my copy of Maxtech, pg 6 direct quote:
"Level Three Battletech play may include any of the optional rules presented in various Battleech products, as well as the Machforce North American Quarterly magazine."
In this quote it means that a level 3 game need not necessarily include all level 3 rules, or any what so ever. The tell tale part (imo) was "optional rules presented in...." if they meant for optional rules to be called level three you could just write:
"Level Three Battletech play may include any optional rules not normally part of Level Two Battletech play."
of course its kinda pointless to argue bout this so i'll just shut up now...
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/22/03 07:15 AM

Hey Lord how do you want to be credited? LordChaos, Lord Chaos, or by some unknown real name? Feel free to pm me if you prefer....
Avanti's Angels, 3058
LordChaos
11/23/03 05:37 AM

Chris Hoyal works.
Ignorant_Savage
11/23/03 11:34 AM

wowie! some cool stuff there! i'll send some stuff your way... just lemme dust off my old campaign folders....
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
tgsofgc
11/24/03 08:11 AM

Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/24/03 08:17 AM

Very cool, you can send it to either of the email address or post em in the guest book of the site. The email addresses are:
fmhomebrew@yahoo.com
alexwarner@hotmail.com
Or of course you can just post em on this board in the design section too. Oh make sure you give me a name of how you'd like to be credited too.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
11/26/03 06:57 PM

Well from what I gather most of you like the site so far as it's developing, and I was planning a major update sometime over tonight and tomorrow, but a new question arose I thought I'd put forth (well actually a couple, but you all know I am complicated):
1. Would it be useful to have a Technical Readout Section featuring fan made mechs with well developed lore, or are there too many btech sites doing that already.
2. If it should would it be alright to restrict this to only designs using new tech presented on FM: Homebrew? Or would it be better to allow any design using level 3 tech, or should it be like every other site and allow any tech at all (assuming it has decent lore)?
Anyone's opinion is welcome even if you have yet to ever visit the site.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
wartang
11/29/03 01:16 AM

Quote:

2. If it should would it be alright to restrict this to only designs using new tech presented on FM: Homebrew? Or would it be better to allow any design using level 3 tech, or should it be like every other site and allow any tech at all (assuming it has decent lore)?

my onpinion home brew with decent lore would be good
i love this game
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10064

Contact Admins Sarna.net