heat waepon

Pages: 1
wartang
12/06/03 12:27 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
me and my brother were talking and we came up with this idea

mount an I.C.engine (jet engine with and after buner) in an arm and use it like a flamer just wonder ing what the forum thought about this idea
i love this game
Silenced_Sonix
12/06/03 03:18 PM

You can be glad it's late, or I'd have flamed you to death for that...

Use common sense: an ICE unit takes up something like six criticals, and weights a lot. You want to use it as a flamer, which weights much less, and takes up less space. Why bother?

PS: if you knew anything about jet afterburners, you'd know they don't have the range, the fuel efficiency or the right delivery method to be effect as flamers.

PS2: this is not a flame, I'm just stating an opinion.
Evolve or Die
tgsofgc
12/06/03 04:40 PM

It could be intressting though I doubt it would even be as effective as a famer. Namely the raw exhaust wouldn't have much of a usable range in battletech, note each hex is 30 meters or approx 90 feet. I'd assume it 'd only have a range of one, and the prohibitive weight of the dedicated ICE would likely make the weapon all but useless. Especially with the risk of the arm causing a relatively devestating explosion if the "jet engine" is hit.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
12/07/03 07:51 PM

Well, the standard (energy weapon) flamer is a first cousin of the jump jet. The flamer inhales local air (or some stored reaction mass, if in a vacuum) and superheats it with a burst of energy (microwaves, electrons, lasers, etc.) This fusion-powered blast of uber-hot air then does enough damage to ablate off several hundred kilograms of armor from a target. It can also raise the heat of a target 2 points, if using the option flamer rule.

In comparison, a jet engine's exhaust temperature doesn't get hot enough to ablate armor. It also tends to move a lot of air then lowers the temperature - there's a scene in "Forest Gump," on the shrimping boat in the hurricane, which was created by aiming a jet engine at the boat and live actors (plus some hoses for the spray. The temp on the deck was about 120F).

I don't think a jet engine would perform as well as a flamer, or even a vehicle flamer (which sprays the target with burning, jellied fuel.) You might get a point of heat out of it, or bowl over infantry with the gust of wind, but I wouldn't expect great heat raises out of it.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Diablo
12/27/03 06:10 PM

i'd like to point out that a jet engine provides thrust enbough to propell multi toned fighters. now, strap that to a mech and let it go. what happens?
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
CrayModerator
12/28/03 07:48 PM

Quote:

i'd like to point out that a jet engine provides thrust enbough to propell multi toned fighters. now, strap that to a mech and let it go. what happens?

You have a jump jet or fuel-guzzling VTOL. See: jump jets. They deliver comparable levels of thrust - a 100-ton mech won't get off the ground on a 1G planet without having a bit over 100 tons of thrust, which would require 3 of the engines being fitted to the F-22 or the JSF/F-35.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5737

Contact Admins Sarna.net