Newbie Question

Pages: 1
Shadow_Hunter
09/24/03 07:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi im new to this forum and got a question about the board game. I have been playing the mechwarriors games and reading the battle tech books for awile now but I decided to check out the board game. The guy who owns the game store I went too said theres 4 verisons of the game that he could order, Whats the diffrence between the 4 diffrent versions of the game?
phoenix
09/24/03 10:17 PM

4 versions? hmm.... I have two explanations to this situation.

1) The store owner is thinking of Mechwarrior: Dark Age which, although set in the same universe, is not the Btech boardgame. If this is the case, the four versions would be the base game and its various expansions.

2) The store owner knows what he talking about and is probably seeing the different editions of the boardgame. You'd want the 4th edition version, which I believe is the most up to date. (Someone correct me if that's wrong).
Phoenix
Shadow_Hunter
09/24/03 10:35 PM

Yea he named them off and they where battle tech and mechwarrior boardgames.. but he said the 2 battletech ones he could order where diffrent, Should I get 4? I think the other one was 2 I beleave he could order.
widowmaker
09/25/03 01:44 AM

Probably what he could order was BattleTech 4th edition and BattleForce 2nd edition. You want BT 4ed. BattleForce 2 would confuse the hell out of you at this point.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Nightward
09/28/03 08:29 PM

There are perhaps two boxed sets you can order- BattleTech and CityTech. BattleTech is the one I would go for, as this is the besat place to start for a beginner; CityTech (if, indeed, it is still produced) is a bit more advanced and may be more difficult to get to grips with at first.

After you're familiar with the rules from the BattleTech Boxed Set, I'd reccommend getting the BattleTech Master Rules (Revised) and probably a copy of Heavy Metal Pro. That way, you get all the rules you need and all the units to play them

Welcome to the board. And the boardgame
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Deathshadow
09/29/03 09:21 AM

4th edition WAS the most recent, but now there is the 'Classic Battletech Boxset' (Fanpro product # 10980). Regardless the box set is the most logical starting point, and 4th edition would serve you equally well.

I would direct you to:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_cbt_intro.html

The introductory products page on the Official Classic Battletech website. Each of the products is linked to their information pages. You (or your local vendor) can order any of the products directly from Fast Forward Entertainment. http://www.fastforwardgames.com/fanprosales.cfm

There are also the quick start rules, which for now are only available off the 'old' CBT website. I am in the process of making a new page for that as well as a 'printer friendly' version.

Old page: http://www.classicbattletech.com/PreviewCBTQuickStart.html

The new one should be up mid-week. It will have those three files, a file that is an amalgam of all three files, and the printer friendly version I'm creating on right now. Gives you a stripped down preview of the game to see if you like it.
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Deathshadow
09/29/03 06:00 PM

OK, You motivated me a bit, so I tossed it together early.

You can now reach the quickstart rules at
http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_quickstart.html

That's full color in single file or as three parts, as well as the printer friendly version of the playbook.

Enjoy!
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
MadMage
11/23/03 10:47 AM

Also Maximum Tech is a good book to have for reference material and on certain rules
firebrand03
12/09/03 06:19 PM

I'm a newbie too and I'm also interested in the boardgame.

What is the difference between battletech and classic battletech, or isn't there one? Please set me straight! Its all so confusing and I haven't the foggiest about this game system (although this thread has set me straight on the mechwarrior: dark age thingy)

Also, where do I get the miniatures from? Is there an online store for those of us living in the UK as there is no store that sells them locally for me.

Thanks,

Steve
CrayModerator
12/09/03 08:40 PM

Quote:

What is the difference between battletech and classic battletech, or isn't there one? Please set me straight! Its all so confusing and I haven't the foggiest about this game system (although this thread has set me straight on the mechwarrior: dark age thingy)

Okay, once upon a time, there was just Battletech, the board game, and it was good.

Then came the roleplaying game (like Dungeons & Dragons) called Mechwarrior, and it was good, because now you could take your mechwarrior out of the cockpit.

Then FASA made a lot of bad business decisions and folded, only to have its licenses picked up by the original writers and creators, who by this time had created various "click games," like the wildly successful Mage Knight. They were the owners of the new company, "Wizkids".

The owners decided, y'know, it wouldn't hurt to create a click based version of Battletech, too. They took the storyline that FASA had been developing (the Jihad, Dark Ages, etc.) and added clicktech to it, calling the new creation, "Mechwarrior: Dark Ages," to differentiate it from Battletech. Just to make things clearer, the original rules for Battletech was slightly renamed to "Classic Battletech." Same game, new name to make it stand out from MWDA.

Unfortunately, the fans often got the silly notion in their head that MWDA was going to completely replace Classic Battletech, which was wrong. The original creators of Battletech (and the owners of Wizkids) were not going to destroy one of their favorite creations. Instead, they were going to let Classic Battletech continue. Classic Battletech rules would even be made for the "Dark Ages" era currently being explored by the MWDA game. But while MWDA jumped ahead to play around in the 3130 era (the Dark Ages), Classic Battletech considered to soldier on from the 3060s era. It would get to the 3130s the slow way and, along the way, would explain just how the Dark Ages came about.

And that's what CBT is: the old Battletech game, the classic game that's been around for nearly 2 decades.

As for minis, you can usually order them on-line. The current CBT mini maker is Ironwinds Miniatures. You can probably find their website.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
12/10/03 12:40 AM

Of course some of us have some gripes with the storyline and delving further into it, though that is another flame war, another day.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
firebrand03
12/10/03 11:39 AM

Thanks guys, you've made things much clearer for me now. I'll go and look into grabbing myself a copy of the game.

Can't wait!!!

Steve
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8785

Contact Admins Sarna.net