Battletech 4th ed. vs. "Classic" Battletech.

Pages: 1
J_Arcane
12/29/03 04:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
OK. So, I've looked around on FanPro's site, and tried posting a few other message boards, but still no clear detailed response.

I own a copy of the BattleTech 4th Edition boxed set.

What I'm wondering, is what changes have been made in the new "Classic" boxed set from FanPro, and whether it would be worthwhile to pick it up.

Can anybody here help me?

Deathshadow
12/29/03 07:41 AM

Truthfully, having not been involved when the 4th edition set was made, and having no reason to buy it, I'm not certain what the differences are.

I would reccomend that you look at the Game Systems page, and compare the contents list and photo with what you have.

I don't think there were any major changes to the rules or the cardstock cutouts, and I am certain the maps remain the same.

Since you already have 4th, I don't think you need another copy of the base set. I would instead recommend you pick up the latest Battletech Master Rules: Revised which gives you the latest rules. Use the extra 12 bucks to grab a mini or two, or perhaps spend a couple bucks more and tack on another map set. (I am of the opinion you can never have too many hexmaps)
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Ghost
12/30/03 11:29 AM

He is right. The 4th edition and the Classic edition are pretty much the same. Fanpro, from my understanding, re-released 4th edition under the Classic Battletech name when darkage appeared. All the box sets are really is just the basic (lvl 1 rules and units). I wouldn't worry about buying the classic since you basically all ready have it. Instead, I would purchase some TROs and Master Rules to start with.
J_Arcane
12/30/03 10:42 PM

Thanks for the help folks. All I needed to know.

You'd think they'd put something to that extent on the website or something, to avoid confusion. Wonder how many folks out there wound up buying the new box only to find out it's nigh identical.

Now, I just need to see if I can round up some players in my area.
Ghost
12/31/03 12:42 PM

If you can't find any players, like I couldn't, try http://www.megamek.com
Online version of the board game and it addictive.
J_Arcane
01/03/04 01:34 AM

My second question now, is if I were to acquire the CityTech box, does that include most of the Level 2 rules additions?

I know it adds the rules for infantry and vehicles, as well as the Clan stuff apparently.

I just figure it'd be a sweet way to expand the rules I already have, and get a bunch more maps and counters and junk. Provided I can still get it.

Whattya'll think?

And I did find this link here: http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_products_cbtboxset.html

Has a picture of all the contents of the new box. Looks like it adds a nifty star map, somewhat better stands for the Mechs, and splits the "Introduction" book from Btech 4th into two seprate books, a Universe, and a Quick-Start book.
Silenced_Sonix
01/03/04 05:22 AM

CityTech doesn't have Tech 2 stuff in - I downloaded the .pdf off Kazaa (only place where I can get my resources) and it's straight Tech 1

On the topic of Classic and 4th Ed. - I order a rulebook called "Classic Battletech Master Rules", released 2003, from my local bookshop. Anyone here can perhaps tell me if that would perhaps be the fancy name now for 4th Ed.? The ISBN num. is 389064984X
Evolve or Die
Ghost
01/03/04 01:55 PM

CityTech, from what I remember, mostly deals with urban combat. No lvl2 stuff there. You do get some nice maps with it though.

As to the "Master Rules". I am not sure. I have several rule books, i.e. Compendium, Revised, etc etc. I am thinking, and I may be wrong, but the "Master Rules" may just combine all of the previse rule books under one title.
CrayModerator
01/03/04 10:43 PM

"Classic Battletech" is just a renamed version of normal "Battletech." It's the same game. 4th Edition BT has virtually all the rules that the later "Battletech Master Rules" has; few noteworthy changes have been made.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6823

Contact Admins Sarna.net