collection costs

Pages: 1
JStallion
02/01/04 12:13 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
just wondering cause im not sure yet if i want to buy minis since no one close to me collects/plays, how much have u guys spent on your minis?
CrayModerator
02/01/04 08:40 AM

I'm happy with the cardboard counters that came with my original boxed sets.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
JStallion
02/01/04 11:20 AM

thats what i have so far and was looking up more reinforcements just to have variety with it since theyre not that expensive, but still curious about how much ppl spend on the minis. since theres no one around here to play against i dont really think im going to get them, but worse comes to worse i could sell them on ebay
Grizzly
02/02/04 11:29 AM

I can't really give a total cost to what I have spent. It has been an on going obsession since 1986. I would have to say close to a grand at least, considering that back in the day minis were between 3 and 5 dollars a pop, and I must have at least a couple of hundred minis.... Heck, I still have about 50 minis still in blister that I haven't had time to put together or paint which is why I haven't bought a lot recently.
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
JStallion
02/02/04 04:05 PM

heh whereas i was born in 1986 and didnt get the privledge of knowing about battletech at the time. now minis (mechs at least) cost 5-10 and just adding it up is like $100 for 10 minis
CrayModerator
02/02/04 04:53 PM

Quote:

heh whereas i was born in 1986 and

I'm not even 30 yet and you just made me feel OLD. I started playing BT in the summer of '86, geez...
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
JStallion
02/02/04 09:38 PM

im 17. i wish i were born earlier because it seems like ur generation is the one that did BT the most. none of my friends do battletech, one i just met does warhammer but wont switch to BT. i dont even have any minis for BT, its like my generation never got into it, just the computer games (which lots of my friends play and based off those i try convincing them to get the board game, theyre just so persistent about keeping w/ MechAssault for xbox live) so im opposition deprived, which is why i like neveron even if im still tryin to figure it out.
Grizzly
02/03/04 12:18 AM

Cray, your not 30 yet? OMG, sorry man, I thought you were a couple of years older than me and I'm thirty two. Think how old that makes me feel .
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
Grizzly
02/03/04 12:32 AM

Don't be daunted by that. As Cray said, use the card board cut outs. They are free and look pretty good to boot, plus they fold flat and don't way a ton! As cool as my collection is, it is a royal pain in the butt to take the whole thing with me, thus I still use the cardboard cut outs sometimes! When I first started playing I used the cut outs exclusively until a guy that I met a my local game club/shop showed me his collection of about 40 mini's all painted and looking cool. So I bought an Orion and Enforcer and haven't looked back since. One nice thing about 'tech is that you can "proxy" (use one mini to represent another ie. use an Enforcer to represent a Centurion) unlike Warhammer (no plug intended) where the unit you want to use has to be the mini on the table (at least in tournaments, friendly games don't count). So use what you have, if you want to buy some minitures thats ok, but don't think that you are forced to drop a huge amount of money just to play, you don't. That is the beauty of Battletech, the player has a lot of freedom on how to play. You can play as simply (level one rules: 3025 era) or as complex (level 3 rules: 3050+era)as you want and its ok. Keep working on your friends, they call it peer pressure for a reason!
JStallion
02/03/04 07:11 PM

hahaha yeah thanks ill keep workin on them, i dont think theyll give though
tgsofgc
02/04/04 12:16 AM

Well Cray comes off as an old coot.... what was it that I laughed at before.... oh yeah musicals right?
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
tgsofgc
02/04/04 12:22 AM

Lets see I have about 10 from the 80s, approximately 50-60$
and I have bought about 8 more since getting back into it recently, approximately 60-80$
So low estimate around a 100$ worth.
But please don't be intimidated... the paper ones are great, and you really don't even need them. With limited funds I'd by the books before minis nearly any day of the week. Also all you really need is the BMR-R and some maps (though you can even draw those up too).
In my mind minitures are a completely sperate hobby that is also fun. It is great to put em together and paint in your free time. Also by kitbashing you can get something of a voice in the appearance of your homegrown designs even if you don't have enough skill to draw your concept. I'm planning to kitbash my Arria design soon (using the Sirocco as a base) and would my Sledge Hammer (but unfortunately unseen warhammers are just too expensive these days....).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
JStallion
02/04/04 08:14 AM

i think im set on books for now, correct me if im wrong though
i have-
TRO:3025-R
TRO:3050
TRO:3055
TRO:3058
TRO:3060
field manual-crusader clans
field manual- warden clans
field manual- comstar
field manual- federated suns
field manual- capllean confederation
field manual- free worlds league
field manual- mercenaries
then the 2nd edition(i think) box set and i ordered the master rules the other day
i really need record sheets though, so if anyones willing to sell those....
Grizzly
02/04/04 10:39 AM

Whoa! Not a bad collection so far! The Master Rules is definately a must have, and record sheets are important too, but if you have blank sheets copied from the box set rules or the master rules you can write up your own mechs using the stats from the TROs. Alternatively, you could get a copy of Heavy Metal Pro mech building program (it has all of the current mechs and variants that you can print out plus you can design your own and they will be printed out as well) or download the free Drawing Board program. I don't have either . I do my mech design the old fashioned way, by hand and calculator , I haven't entered the 21st Century yet . I don't think the drawing board has the most recent weapons however. Speaking of Heavy Metal, does anyone know of any WinXP Home compatibilty issues? I think I may order a copy.

Edited by Grizzly (02/04/04 10:40 AM)
JStallion
02/04/04 08:50 PM

Yeah i tried hand writing in the info from TROs but they dont tell u where heat sinks are and all on the mechs, so if a mech loses its arm in the battle, im cluesless as to how many heat sinks it loses, or leg, or anything... and i think im having problems with heavy metal pro, tried it but i cant "convert" it to any program on this computer so it looks the right way, most i got when i tried to get the info for the saggitarie (SP) was its name, no info or anything. so if anyone can help me with that itd be a ton of help.
khanj42
03/18/04 09:10 PM

That's cool that you're trying to build up your collection of minis and record sheets. You don't necessarily need to pay money for HeavyMetal though. I Downloaded a mech engineer program for free off this site and it works great. The only catch is that you must spend a few hours putting 'mech designs you use into the database. Once everything is in however, it's a great tool to have. Hit up the random unit generation tables and you can have a blast. Insofar as getting more minis, I think IronWind Metals is the company that got the license from WizKids to keep making BattleTech minis. Their prices aren't too outrageous, between $25-$35 per lance or up to about $40 per star if you order them as a unit. I have a collection from the early 90s of about 55 minis, and a ton of cardboard cutouts too. Once you've spent a few hours getting those damned pewter peices to stay together and the proper paintjobs on, there is a huge sense of pride in the work done, well worth the time if you're a BT fan. Check out the fiction and sourcebooks for some good paint scemes.
JStallion
05/26/04 06:11 PM

does this also print out the actual sheets or do you need to scan and print your own blank sheets then fill it out by hand? because i too have a battlemech designer program but it doesn't print out the sheets and i always have to do it by hand which is annoying. on the plus side though it has all the mechs from sourcebooks, tech readouts, field manuals etc. up to 3060 and u can of course make/customize your own.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10331

Contact Admins Sarna.net