Clan TAG, NARC, ARROW IV ?

Pages: 1
Rotwang
09/06/03 03:17 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Something I never found an answer to came up the other day.

Clans are supposed to be the ultimate one on one fundamentalists. Where do items like the TAG, Narc and the Arrow missile system fit into this ?

I run around with my Fire Moth (Dasher) C, which comes with a TAG. Somwhere at the other end could be a Naga with an Arrow IV missile system, that should violate Clan rules and automatically go Batchall ?

Can anybody point me to a rulebook that solves that conundrum ?
widowmaker
09/07/03 01:47 AM

Not a rule book, merely an observation:

Who said you had to aim the TAG at a 'Mech? Artillery is good for taking out all kinds of things.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
Spartan
09/07/03 09:41 AM

Don't forget that certain things are considered "beneath" a warrior to fight one on one and so he may just call in artillery to deal with them.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
CrayModerator
09/07/03 10:25 AM

Considering that Clans are happy to use Artemis, there should be no objection to Narc.

TAG and Arrow IV are rather rarer, mostly used against dishonorable foes.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
09/09/03 12:16 AM

Also aside from those reasons listed here:
1. Bidding, one on one combat isn't observed as strictly as bidding by the clans. To this end devices like arrow 4 while not ideal for duel style fights can lead to a strategic advantage if bid intrestingly.
2. Melee's are more common than the lore lets on. The lore seams to lead a number of clan fans to believe they are entirely about honor but as indicated in certain sources (especially the warden and crusader field manuals) few clans strictly and always follow dueling rules. One good example are the blood spirits which are far less likely to follow such conventions when battling in defense of their holdings.
3. About TAG tag could theoretically exist for more things than arrow 4. For instance a missions objective for a raiding group might require it to use tag on a warehose structure identifying it for deep penetration scans. This is less exact and more the creative side of being a GM though.
my 2 cents, hope i added something, even a little.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
09/11/03 06:49 AM

The same thing bothers me, as well. Many of the designs featuring Narc that the Clans use don't have missile on the design, or have LRMs...which makes it pretty pointless.

However, some times they do get it right. In the case of the Arctic Fox, for example.

It's rare, but soetimes NARC is a more efficient choice than Artemis.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Thor_Mech
02/20/04 03:35 PM

Yeah, the Clans consider Arrow IVs dishonorable. For example, the Smoke Jaguars were ticked when the Eridani Light Horse pounded them early with Long Toms and Thumpers. (I think the Jag commander was Star Colonel Moon)
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Shadowdancer
02/21/04 12:52 AM

If the Clans consider artillery (read: Arrow IV System) dishonorable, then explain to me why the Naga OmniMech was created? It is an OmniMech; therefore it is for front line pilots, as opposed to, say, a second-line/freeborn Mechwarrior (or Solahma).

I dispute this concept. Also, isn't it the Fire Moth A with the TAG, not the C? Could be wrong here.

While I'm on the tangent, there's plenty of Clan OmniMechs that have a TAG configuration on them...the Phantom, Black Lanner, Fire Moth just being three examples off the top of my head.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.

Edited by Shadowdancer (02/21/04 12:53 AM)
Iceman
02/21/04 05:39 AM

Yep, it's the A, not the C.
Mist Lynx A, Kit Fox C.
Nightward
02/21/04 08:33 PM

Well, if you look at the fluff for the Naga, you'll discover that it's usually deployed to second-line forces because Clan Wolf (the Naga's only user) hates Artillery so much. Additionally, most warriors are not allowed to reconfigure the Naga either.

I believe TAG is equipped to such 'Me4chs because the FASA or FanPro realise that 99.99% of Clan players out there don't pay any attention to written material concerning things like, say, Zellbrigen or other facets of Clan honour, and instead do use Artillery and Semi-Guided LRMs at every opportunity. Lord knows I've met enough of them myself.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Shadowdancer
02/21/04 11:04 PM

I could be wrong here, but aren't semiguided LRMs Inner Sphere only?

At any rate, artillery was used in the Tukayyid campaign by the Clans, and I'm use it's seen plenty of use in other battles/wars.

Either way, it's effective when used properly.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7934

Contact Admins Sarna.net