confused

Pages: 1
JStallion
02/02/04 10:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ok im confused, when u roll a 2 (one and one) for the dice when determining where your shot hits, what do u do for the critical hit?
say its center torso, does this mean u roll for the center torso where its like 2-7 is a miss, or do u automatically just hit a gyro or something? i dont get how to determine the whole critical hit thing so any help would be appreciated.
Grizzly
02/03/04 12:14 AM

First, don't be confused, crits are easy . Ok here goes.... You roll the snake eyes (1,1) on the dice for your location and consult the chart. Ok, possible critical hit to the center torso. Next roll the dice again and add the numbers and then consult the chance for critical hit effects chart (2-7 no effect; 8-9 roll one critical hit location; 10-11 roll two critical hit locations; 12 roll three critical hit locations or head/limb blown off). Lets say you roll a nine, thats one critical hit to the center torso. Look at your record sheet, center torso locations. You'll see a bold 1-3 and 4-6 next to two groupings of numbers 1 through six. Got that? Now roll one die, lets say you get a 3. That would be the upper group of six numbers AKA the Upper Center Torso Location. Now roll one more die, let's say a 6, that would be the last upper gyro location. Put a line through that to show that it has been destroyed. Also look at the box below and cross out one of the gyro hits circles. Almost done, don't worry. Lastly look at the piloting skill roll modifiers chart under damage to battlemech, and you'll see that a gyro hit adds a +3 to piloting skill rolls. Make a notation somewhere on your record sheet to remind yourself. Wow, look we're done, nothing to it! If this was do to weapons fire you wait until the end of the weapons attack phase of the turn and then make a piloting skill roll at a +3 to see if you still stand, if you make it, your standing, if not consult the rule book on falling and go from there. Good luck and don't get discouraged. I have been playing for a long time, but it took me about two months to learn how to do heat properly, so don't worry if you don't "get it" the first time. Keep playing and slowly everything will come naturally!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
CrayModerator
02/03/04 07:32 AM

Clan Wolverine: The writers have no intent of addressing them. They're a perpetual plot hook that, for some reason, captures the fascination of players more than most. Personally, I figure they just settled some planet and turned into a happy little non-militaristic colony (only distant outside threats and they were fleeing from a militaristic society - rejection of Clan ways seems probable, IMO. They were in trouble with Nicholas Kerensky for questioning his brutal methods of subjugating the Pentagon worlds and fought against certain Clan behaviors, so...).

Grizzly summed up the critical hit process pretty well, but it seems people like to have multiple assurances about rules, so...

1) You roll a 2 for the hit location.
2) You apply damage to the location normally. If you hit the CT for 10 points of damage and it has 20 points of armor, then all the damage is applied to the outside.
3) However, you still roll for a critical hit. Roll 2d6. If the result is 8 or higher, use normal critical hit rules for the CT. No points of internal structure are marked off.
4) What are those critical hit rules? Well, first you look at the 2d6 roll from step 3. If it's 8 or 9, you got one critical hit. If its 10 or 11, your got two critical hits. If its 12, you got 3 critical hits (if this weren't the CT, but was a limb instead, a 12 would be the limb just came off.)
5) Now, apply those critical hits to the CT. The CT is split into two sections of 6 slots. Roll 1d6 to see if you hit the upper (1-3) or lower (4-6) section. Once you do that, roll 1d6 again to see what slot is crossed off. If the item hit occupies multiple slots, then it takes one hit. If it has a single slot, it's just destroyed.
6) If you got multiple critical hits, repeat step 5 until you've used up all the critical hits. If another critical hit lands where one critical hit has already landed, reroll. If a critical hit lands on an endosteel, ferrofibrous, or triple strength myomer slot, reroll.
7) Any multi-slot item (PPC, Beagle Active Probe, Autocannon 20, etc.) except the engine and gyroscope stop working after 1 of their critical slots is hit, but they can take multiple hits. If you hit two different slots of an Inner Sphere PPC (which uses 3 critical slots), the PPC stops working on the first critical hit, but you should keep track of additional damage - an item can be repaired so long as it has one undamaged critical slot left. This means items with one critical slot (cockpit, medium lasers, etc.) are destroyed on the first critical hit. Engines stop working on the third critical hit, while gyroscopes are ruined on the second.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
JStallion
02/03/04 09:41 PM

thanks to both of you

and another thanks to cray for commenting about Clan Wolverine, i wish they'd bring them back
JStallion
02/04/04 09:35 PM

Quote:

They're a perpetual plot hook that, for some reason, captures the fascination of players more than most.

Fact from numerous sources online- Wolverines are very strong for their size and have been known to drive bears, cougars, and packs of wolves from their kills. They are generally known as the strongest mammal for their size.

Now from BT- Wolverines were introduced to the forests of Strana Mechty, where they flourished, growing in size and ferocity. They were admired by warriors because they stood their ground against any intruder, no matter what its size or strength.

so weve got an animal that fights off packs of wolves (a totem animal) bears, (a totem animal) and cougars (close to a totem animal) and grew (usually 30-70 lbs. so now maybe the size of a wolf?) and are "the little guy" that fights off the big guys. thats at least why ive always liked Wolverines. I'm only 5'3 but i do lots of sports and all and pretty ripped from wrestling etc. (just got a letter about how im in the top 5% of athletes in the nation ) so i stand up to the bigger ppl too, just like a wolverine and since theres a Clan Wolverine it just fits.
DedJester
02/15/04 01:50 AM

now this might confuse you again, but i just read this post and thought i would let you know about one of the house rules my friend and i use (i know it is not official but it is used quite abit where i play).

that is: if you score a crit by rolling snake eyes (1,1) role again on crit effect table (2-7 no crit, 8-9 one crit, 10-11 two crits, 12 three crits or limb/head blown off) now if you do roll a crittical hit 8-12 we roll again for the location of the hit I.E. left leg, right torso ect...if no crit is rolled damage goes to CT.

Again not official but we like it
"I have orders to be awakened at any time in the case of a national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."
Ronald Reagan.
Shadowdancer
02/17/04 05:15 PM

I think it's a level 3 rule that if you roll a 2 for hit location, you reroll the actual location (a 2 being the CT) and determine the # of critical hits, if any.
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Silenced_Sonix
02/21/04 08:00 AM

My friend and I have the following rule:

- If a light, or normal MG scores a critical hit, it cannot damage more than one slot (after all, rolling a 12 for a MG and then losing your entire engine to a measly .50 calibre round seems a bit far-fetched)
- heavy MG's and small lasers (ER and normal) may only damage two locations
- a small heavy can damage three (like normally)

Just makes the game a little more realistic to us.
Evolve or Die
Toontje
02/23/04 09:38 AM

Instead of rolling criticals for the longer tables top/bottom (torso's+arms), if you have d3, d4, d8, d10 and d12, look at the # of slots crittable, and select the next-larger size, rerolling numbers not coresponding to a crit. Reduces the number of rolls.
Rather to blow up, then.
CRASH
02/25/04 06:02 AM

Our house rule was always: a roll of 2 resulted in ONE crit only. That way there's no chance that you die on a "lucky shot" in the first round.
But that's just me.
"It is not home if there is no beer." - Largo, MegaTokyo.com (10.12.01)
Sauragnmon
03/06/04 10:46 PM

Their name alone, Wolverine, suggests that they didn't turn pacifist. Why would their names be stricken from clan records for going pacifist? Why would they be called "The unnamed ones" and not "The lost ones"? I'd be more tempted to believe they were stricken and hunted down to scattered remnants because they got a little too ferocious for the Kerensky theory. Perhaps they might have been the first to go Crusader, perhaps at a time when the rest of the Clans were warden, or at the least, not so Carpe Jugulum in attitude. A Wolverine's Modus Operandii is to fight to the last. Clan regulations tend to allow a more fair fight than anybody with the spirit of a wolverine would be willing to give. Especially regarding freebirth scum. If a freebirth is going to attack me when I'm down, why should I show him the same courtesy? If an enemy is showing weakness, should I not exploit this lest I be lulled into dropping my own defenses to allow him to get up? That sounds a little more towards a reason as to why an entire clan would rather simply "disappear" off the records, even its name and history. They were too savage for the strict elite doctrines of the SLDF self-exiles. It kind of makes sense, if you look at it right.
Nightward
03/07/04 09:48 PM

According to the sidebar on p. 21 of The Wolf Clan Sourcebook, Clan Wolverine discovered a forgotten Brian Chache. The Grand Council of Khans decided how it would be divvied up, since Kerensky had not left it to any particular Clan.

The Wolverines decided they wanted it all for themselves and told the Council where to go and what to do when they got there. A little while later, they declared themselves independant of the Clans and cut themselves off from Clan society.

So the Grand Council convened, voted unanimously, and had them Annihilated by Clans Wolf and Widowmaker.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Toontje
03/08/04 04:58 AM

Well, the nuking of a genetic orbital lab IIRC as a declaration of independance DID help to change it from absorption to annihilation. And also an IIRC, they were too democratic. Altrough I'd have loved seeing them jettison cargo meant as tribute for another clan, similar to the tea party.
Rather to blow up, then.
tgsofgc
03/08/04 05:32 AM

The Wolverines were basically outcasts from clan society for rejecting what the other clans were accepting as the clan way of life. They rejected the second kerensky as a man not living on his own merits but living on those of his great father (which in a number of sources concerning the exodus and governing of post amaric terra was nearly a pacifist himself... afterall look at people like the Eridani Light Horse). At the time of the Wolverine "rebellion" the breeding/womb program was just beginning to be established (partially why their nuclear attacks on repositories held less lasting/long term damage). So why the ferrocious name... because they were a clan. Nicholas (I think) named all the clans after totems (militaristic in nature) that he envisioned as being pinnacles of certain qualities to live up to. Most the clans took these totems to heart, and expanded what it meant to be part of that clan... but no one in a clan (except the first Khans, and Nicky) ever really got to choose what clans they would be in, nor what they'd be called.

About the Warden/Crusader tenacity...
I am being objective here from the sources I have access to. Indications are that Alexander Kerensky (the first one) was an extremely charismatic leader of tactical genius. While he almost ruthlessly carried out the campaign of "unification" against the periphery, it appears that following the Amaris civil war (and the end of the Cameron line) that he lost faith in the human spirit. It is unclear exactly what he intended to ocure through the exodus, though many sources point to him wnting to prevent a future of war. Namely they moved away to form a "utopian" society free of war... unfortunately back home the power vacume creates the succession wars, not helped by his inadvertantly entrusting a huge amount of power in Jerome Blake (whom was somewhat of meglomaniac). Anyways they get to the pentagon worlds and surprise surprise... war starts again. Alex dies... and his son Nicky takes over.
Nicky working from the basis of his fathers popularity/charisma (the son of a great man?) builds up a group of people nearly fanatically loya to him. Whether caused by dissillusionment of seeing his father's grand work crushed or the simple rectionary swing of progeny (think right wing kids of hippies of hippy kids of right wingers... note this isn't meant to be political or offensive the term hippie was selected because of the implication for the vietnam era, and that generation and the baby boomers later). Anyways military cult escapes colonizes a small number of bitter worlds barely capable of sustaining life. Begins building up and training a crack military. During this period the pentagon worlds are like a mini succession wars... except less loss of technology (afterall they don't have comstar assassinations and lack of star league computer cores to contend with). Anyways they attack the pentagon worlds, which clues indicate either had united through war or united to meet the threat (cough successionw ars cough), and conquor them. While these conquored people can't become part of the new high warrior caste (as estbalished by lil nicky) they become the majority of the population in the clans... leading to widespread dissent and integration problems. During this period the clans begin to divide along the lines of cooperate and move further away from nicky or "conquor" and move closer to. The wolverines took an extremely progressive stance emphasizing civilian life, which at the time threatened to lead the clans towards a coopetive peaceful society (at least for awhile) and devalue nickys power base. Needless to say he didn't want this. So when the Wolverine claimed a cache made up of equipment belonging to the khan's fathers unit, Nicky was quick to point out that the cache should be divided among the clans. The wolverines fight a trial of grievence (or possession I forget) and lose. So the Khan and clan wolverine in an interesting political move seizes the cache and in the hearing of the grand council insults ilkhan nicky and proclaims the Wolverines a sovereign entity, storming out iof the council. Nicky uses this as oppurtunity to rally support against the Wolverines. Luckily this support wasn't that widespread until the Wolverines in fighting these battles made a political gesture (overthrowing the nicky regime) and used a tactical (read as extremely small) nuclear weapon to destroy snow raven genetic store house (a true nation doesn't breed super soldiers, to be indoctrinated to nicky the grand, wolverine idealogy). This gives Nicky the support he needs to develop the trial of annihilation, and call it against the clan.
There is many ways to think about it but the analigies to other battletech events (not just real history) are interesting. For instance the mini succession wars, the similarities between Nicky K and Comstar (power grab by playing factions against each other).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
03/08/04 06:37 AM

Quote:

Their name alone, Wolverine, suggests that they didn't turn pacifist.

That was the name while they were among the Clans. No one knows what they call themselves now.
Quote:

Why would their names be stricken from clan records for going pacifist?

They were stricken from the Clan records for using a nuke on an evacuated town and using a genetic repository. After the Trial of Annihilation and fleeing Clan space, they might be sick of war.
Quote:

I'd be more tempted to believe they were stricken and hunted down to scattered remnants because they got a little too ferocious for the Kerensky theory

No. That's not what's described about the incident in the Warriors of Kerensky sourcebook (pg12-14).

Wolverines (and Jade Falcons and a few others) were protesting Nicholas Kerensky's brutal, Maoist-style subjugation of the Pentagon worlds. The Falcons settled down after an internal purge, but Kerensky sought to reassert his control over the Clans by making an example of Wolverine. He picked a fight over the Wolverines' claim to a Brian Cache and things seemed to go initially well for Kerensky. The Wolverine Khan shot herself in the foot with some poorly chosen words in the Council, and a series of escalating battles forced the Wolverines to show their resolve with the use of a nuke on (as I said) an uninhabited town. That's where the situation slipped out of Kerensky's control. However, showing resolve with nukes was Star League thinking. In the new Clan way, nukes and the attack on the genetic repository were very naughty. The Trial of Annihilation against the Wolverines was launched.

Quote:

They were too savage for the strict elite doctrines of the SLDF self-exiles.

Far from it. The Wolverines were the voice of reason:

Quote:

pg13 of The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky:
Kerensky (ilKhan): My honorable friend the Khan from Clan [CENSORED] continues to ignore the decisions of this body, as verified by the recent trial. I do not care that the cache is that of the 331st Royal Division, her father's command. This body is agreed that the caches are a resource belonging to the Clans as a whole. In the old order, her paternal loyalty would be commended, but this is not the old order. We are the Clans. We stand on our own merits, not those of our ancestors.

Sarah McEvedy (Wolverine Khan): Except you.

Kerensky (ilKhan): I beg your pardon?

McEvedy: I said, except you. You seem perfectly happy to bask in your father's achievements. He was visionary who sought justice and peace for all. You seek control.

Mitchell Loris (Mongoose Khan): Khan [CENSORED], you go too far.

McEvedy: Do I? I know many of you in this chamber found our ilKhan's actions to secure control of the Pentagon worlds offensive. The Star League did not believe in torture and brutality. Those are the tools of power-hungry madmen. Is this what you have become, Nicholas Kerensky? A power hungry madman?

Kerensky: SILENCE! [CENSORED], Khan of Clan [CENSORED], I, Nicholas Kerensky, ilKhan of the Clans, do call for a Trial of Grievance. By our laws, you may-

McEvedy: Hang your laws. Does the truth hurt so much, Nicholas?

Kerensky: Fellow Khans, our colleague is clearly overwrought. I call for a vote of censure. Loremaster Ward, please-

McEvedy: Don't bother, Nicholas. I'll leave. In fact, we'll all leave. Clan [CENSORED] no longer recognizes the authority of the ilKhan or the Grand Council. From this point forward, we are an independent power. We decided our own fate, fairly and according to the morals and standards of the Star League.

Kerensky: You cannot do this.

McEvedy: I can and I have.

Italics added by me for emphasis on certain points.

Page 12 of the Warriors of Kerensky describes the public torture and methodology of Kerensky, and the unrest it sparked in the Clans. The Wolverines were supporters of the Star League's notions of civil rights and law, while Kerensky wanted a more brutal system.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
03/08/04 06:40 AM

Quote:

The Wolverines decided they wanted it all for themselves and told the Council where to go and what to do when they got there. A little while later, they declared themselves independant of the Clans and cut themselves off from Clan society.

So the Grand Council convened, voted unanimously, and had them Annihilated by Clans Wolf and Widowmaker

That's skipping a few details, though the Wolf SB probably doesn't have the extra detail. The Wolverine's Declaration of Independence was not the reason for the Annihilation. pg12-14 of the Warriors of Kerensky goes into more detail about the issue.

Nightward
03/09/04 02:06 AM

Some might call it revisionist history.

I call it FASA adding to information given out before
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8858

Contact Admins Sarna.net