Excess Heat

Pages: 1
Mithicar
03/31/04 06:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A friend of mine got me into Battletech a while ago, but he had the old school edition of the game and so we only ever play Level 1 Rules. So I've been playing around on Drawing Board designing a couple variants...

And I come up with an interesting idea based upon the heat scale capping out at thirty. What exactly happens to your mech if you exceed 30 buildup heat? It shuts down to cool, right? And does that number over thirty still have to be dissapated while you sit, or do you start at thirty on your next turn?

If you're limited to thirty, it might be possible to design a whole range of "Burnout" class mechs... mechs armed with a ridulously unbalanced number of energy weapons that can only fire once before shutting down for a turn. Yes, that sounds deadly... but so does the assault I made carrying eight PPCs... or the 6/9/6 medium with enough medium lasers to melt anything under fifty tons. Strategically, there could be uses for these types of kamikaze units, especially if they're backed by units that can stay in action. They don't even need to alpha strike all the time... they can hold off with 3/4 of their weaponry until they know they can finish off their target in one fell swoop...

If the rules forbid it, that's fine... it was just a funny concept I had to try out.
tgsofgc
03/31/04 07:57 PM

That actually use to be one of the older munchtastic formulas used in tourneys (from my understanding). However I believe now, and for a while, the rules work that your mech only disipates heat at the rate it normally could while shut down.... so when you fry you still have to work your way down while down.
Granted if you are willing to ignore the humanitarian side of this and fry your pilot it could still be beneficial especially when you:
1. are using the level 3 rule for cumulative +1 per 20 pts of damage or
2. can take out a larger more dangerous mech in that turn while only needing to weather the assault of smaller machines while you recover.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
03/31/04 08:06 PM

Yes, well. Before the BMR came out, it worked like this:

Build a 'Mech that weighs 100 tons, has 15 DHS exactly, and packs as many Clan ERPPCs (if you want to head-chop) or ER Large Lasers (if you want the damage) as possible. Fire them all in one turn, and then since your heat is capped at 30, you shut down for one turn. If your opponent managed to survive the furious barrage, repeat the process.

Fortunately, sanity prevailed (albeit briefly) at FASA HQ and the BMR now has a box at the top of the Heat Scale for any heat you build up over 30. That excess heat has to be dissipated as well, so you've got to cool to at least 29 Heat before the 'Mech will start up again.

So. No more Mega-Overheating "strategies" these days
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Silenced_Sonix
04/03/04 03:02 AM

All hail the Coolant Pod! 1 ton for a +1 heat dissipation on every single heatsink!
Evolve or Die
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4820

Contact Admins Sarna.net