How well was does the game remain faithful to the boardgame?

Pages: 1
tgsofgc
04/13/04 01:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well I was/am a big fan of the CCG. It was one of the best I ever played, and in my ccg heyday I played alot, but I am wondering what those who are still here and play/played the CCG think of it in terms of the board game. The big question is:
How well is the game faithfull to the boardgame?
Namely are similar mechs similarly priced, how well do the game mechanics convert to each other, how well are the mechs divided into factions, etc. Also as a follow up if you had a wish for some alternate future where the ccg still existed what things would you most want to see? For example more of the factions, more mechs, alternate rules, etc.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Nightward
06/13/04 08:27 PM

Not so well. Whatver algorithm they used to cnvert weapons wasn't, IMO, that great; it tends to heavily over-favour 'Mechs with Pulse weapons and Gauss cannon. Mechs with XL engines aren't usually much more susceptible than Standard engined 'Mechs to Internal Structure damage. Clan 'Mechs are heavily overpriced, and there are some REALLY broken card combos (Fire Moth D, Elite 'Mechwarrior, Superior Groundwork, Unnoposed! Mission = something like 15 damage to the stockpile in one turn...)

It works fairly well when played for fun, though it's not as well-balanced as I'd have liked to have seen it be. The first set was OK, but things get kid of messy in Arsenal and especially Crusade.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SSFSX17
06/15/04 04:44 PM

Besides what Nightward said, I like how they keep some elements of both strategy and luck in the CCG. I think the greatest strength of the BattleTech CCG is that it never, ever, at any time, gets as ridiculous as Magic or Yugioh. There are indeed some mighty combos, but at least your life is represented by your entire stockpile, so that it still takes a while to die.

I guess the BattleTech CCG suffers from an opposite kind of problem: It's too much about massive numbers and overwhelming your opponent with a lot of cheap expendable stuff. Then again, that isn't exactly unfaithful to the setting!
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Iceman
06/27/04 01:04 PM

Quote:

Not so well. Whatver algorithm they used to cnvert weapons wasn't, IMO, that great; it tends to heavily over-favour 'Mechs with Pulse weapons and Gauss cannon.

Hmm, the conversion formula uses the weapons damage and ranges. pulses and GRs are no different AFAIK.

Quote:

Mechs with XL engines aren't usually much more susceptible than Standard engined 'Mechs to Internal Structure damage.

It's a CCG, it's not in the scope of the game IMO.

Quote:

Clan 'Mechs are heavily overpriced,

Cost depends on attack value mostly. Clan 'Mechs have higher attack values in general, so it's only logical that it is so. Heavy armor also increases the cost, so some assaults can get quite costly.

Quote:

and there are some REALLY broken card combos (Fire Moth D, Elite 'Mechwarrior, Superior Groundwork, Unnoposed! Mission = something like 15 damage to the stockpile in one turn...)

Of those 4 cards, 3 were banned from tournament play during limited. Unopposed is nowhere near broken.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9546

Contact Admins Sarna.net