What's your favorite mech class or weight?

Pages: 1
Vicen_Korel
04/15/04 01:17 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
what's your favorite weight class and why?
I personally enjoy the light and medium classes, either a 35 or 45 ton mech for my taste.

I tend to armor up first, get a good 6 or 7 walk in an inner sphere light engine or clan xl and throw a heavy punch weapon, with a light support weapon.
I find the lower weights give me just enough to get the speed i like and two large lasers, or a ppc with medium back up gives a heavy enough punch to make most mechs give a second thought to just walking by.

what's your preferred weight?
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
cmryan
04/15/04 01:43 AM

I like heavy Mechs. My 2 favorite Inner Sphere mechs are the Thunderbolt and the Maruader. My favorite Clan Mechs are the Mad Cat and the Summoner.
CrayModerator
04/15/04 06:15 AM

Inner Sphere heavy mechs, 75 tons. Light enough to be maneuverable without an XL engine, big enough to handle battlefield abuse...good line mechs, main battlemechs.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (04/15/04 06:16 AM)
Nightward
04/15/04 06:47 AM

For the Clans, Heavy. The Clan Heavies are as fast as IS Mediums, and have the firepower of IS Assualts- sometimes even more. My favourite 'Mech is, of course, the Timber Wolf.

For the Inner Sphere, I like Mediums, preferably faster, multi-role 'Mechs. I like the "Classic Trio" (Grffon, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine) and the Phoenix Hawk. Although the Wolf Hound is slowly growing on me, too.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CRASH
04/15/04 09:24 AM

I gotta go with the 55 tonners, too. Shadow Hawk, Wolverines, Griffens. I have so many 55T mods and scratch-builts that I can't possibly remember them all.
Movement, armor, firepower. What I can do w/ a lance of 55 tonners!
"It is not home if there is no beer." - Largo, MegaTokyo.com (10.12.01)
Spartan
04/15/04 10:54 AM

Genenerally, I go for mediums and heavies. Assaults are too slow to my taste and lights are, well, too light. So I'll usually mix the mediums and heavies to try to get a good mix of speed and punch.

But if I can only pick one mech for a duel or every-man-for-himself melee I'll usually go with the heavy because of the extra armor, though I'll occasionally go for an assault if I think it's gonna turn into a gut it out slug fest.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Navajo_brave
04/15/04 10:02 PM

i enjoy mediums they can be really fast and have enough punch to really hurt most mechs if it can get behind them. also, with mediums i usually drop all weapons into the torso's and then i jump behind something,fire then punch twice. its all good.
tgsofgc
04/16/04 01:20 AM

Generally I prefer heavies, especially 75 tonners. The Lostech Flashman, the Grasshopper and Warhammer D are some favorites. Though I also generally prefer a mix of weight classes and mission roles. Also in rpgs I tend to take giant brawlers, such as a Victor, Beserker, or such... they compliment my play style afterall.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Death_Fire
05/03/04 12:32 PM

I say go for the 70-75 ton mechs. I enjoy the extra punch and decent speed. Though they may be heavy enough to get traped once in a while. They will take down a few with them when they go.

I went out to find a great all around mech for all ocasions. after about 38 potential designs I came up with on I liked. Then I got to looking at it and it turned out to be the chasis of a Thor. Thus my contenued favoritism of this mech.
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
Greyslayer
05/04/04 01:05 AM

I look at getting the most for the tonnage. For this reason the 50 and 100 ton mechs make a good selection.

I have several criteria when picking a mech:

- does it need to jump? If so the most efficient would be 55tons. A waste would be putting jump jets on a 60-tonner in most situations. Say you have a 5/8/5 60-tonner and a 5/8/5 55 tonner, you lose 2.5 tons to the 55 tonner right off the bat for jump jets. Then you have .5 ton more internal structure and a heavier engine (not sure on the gain from 275 to 300 rating engines). You lose the 5 ton difference without even gaining a serious advantage (except a couple of points more internal structure).

- that being said quite often that extra 1 jump point isn't really usefull when the mech could use an extra .5 or 1 ton more. An example would be the spider, sure it is good jumping 8, but as far as game mechanics is concerned the modifier doesn't get any better jumping 8 than it does jumping 7 and the Spider could always use an extra .5 ton of armour.

- If a non-jumping mech look to those types that fit within engine rates of 200 and 300. A non-jumping 60 tonner with a 300 rating engine for me is quite efficient, while a 50-tonner could be made quite quick with the 300 or slow and powerful with a 200 (refer to hunchback on that one). The reason I look to 200 and 300 is that you have the most efficient usage of gyros at those ratings. you go just over and you get hit with an extra 1 ton for gyro. You go past 300 anyway and you get hit with some pretty extreme engine mass increments as well.

- for money then obviously the lighter the mech the more of it you can buy. The nature of the calculation of mech values makes it basically always cheaper to purchase a light mech per ton over an assault mech. Unless you go level 3 equipment or completely rediculous builds of mechs of both extremes for the example you just cannot go past the value lighter mechs bring to the table. This is where the price of that extra ton of gyro and size of the engine will also came back to haunt you.
Death_Fire
05/04/04 11:07 AM

I agree that the 60 ton class is crappy yet the 70-75 tons you have extra tonnage to work with. it seems that all you said is about the 60 ton class.

and for the money I have calculated all the costs for the 2050 mechs and the thunderbolt ( a heavy mech ) is cheeper than the griffin ( a medium mech ) Though the griffin is one of the great mediums of all time it is easily defeated bl a thor. 60-70% of each mech over 50 tons is the engine/gyro.
Nightward
05/05/04 01:15 AM

Of course the 3025 Griffon gets beaten by the Thor.

One's a Level 1 'Mech. The other's a Clan Omni

Teabowls, however, are higher in mass and BVs. So if you're playing by C-Bills, then maybe. But even then I'd probably pick a Griffon over a Teabowl for skirmishing duties.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nevik
05/05/04 08:59 AM

mediums, large heavy/light assault

45-50, 75-80 mediums and heavyies. 75-80 tonners have lighter engines when moving at 4/6(4) and only suffer 1 ton per jump jet (I'm notorious for making 70-75t jumpers). 45-50t usually make up the bulk of my forces, carring the actual firepower of the lance/company, and they usually move at 5-6/7-9.

Light engines are my preference, coupled with ultra autto cannons (uac-5/uac-10) with at least 20 shots. My primary support weapons are ER PPCs (for range) and Large Pulse( for close in defence). I'm also a large beliver in C3 networks. Usualy a 70-75t carries the master and 2 mediums and a 80t carries a slave, allowing my assault to have the firepower of an assault and not that of a medium. for companies, I varient one of the assaults to carry 1 C3 Master.
-Nuke the Whales

-Revenge of the drunken pandas
Death_Fire
05/05/04 11:13 AM

You have the right idea. I like medium mechs, but I like the extra armor and punch of a larger mech.
(being my pesonal preferance)
Greyslayer
05/07/04 08:00 AM

The reason I looked at the 60-ton class is the bit about going over 300 in engine ratings. Of course the 75-ton Marauder sits nicely in the 300 engine as it makes a good choice for chassis but the price multiplier really starts to hit a mech in the heavy bracket. But the 60-tonner could still be easily used for speed to match the heavier mediums, as long as it doesn't look to use jump-jets.

This all being said an amazingly simple yet basic design is the basis behind the Rifleman IIC chassis. Even look at converting this to 3025 tech and you will see an aweful lot of potential for a 3/5/3 mech. In this case a 195 rating engine keeping the gyro mass down and the light engine due to size gives the mech plenty of weight to use for armour and weapons. The jump jets give the mech far more manouvering ability than the 4/6/0 mechs of about the same mass. The unit is cheap as well

As for the Thunderbolt 3050 (instead of 2050, what game are you playing ) being cheaper than the Griffin 3050, that would be easy. Much the price of 3050 mechs are made from XL-engines. If the mech doesn't have an xl-engine then of course it shouldn't change much in price to the 3025 model.
Death_Fire
05/07/04 11:06 AM

Jump Jets? I agree those are nice and all but they still arn't needed to make a mech mobile. I like to remember that the same things that slow a mech on the ground usualy give that mech some cover. A mech using jets has a little more heat problems in a pinch when every piont counts. Also on a staright away mechs with jets dont have any advantage.

with this stratagy I have a preferance to clan mechs with targeting comps. this way I can leg a mech leave it and come back to finish it off at long range later. with only one leg most mechs that could cause a thret on the field are so slow I can just walk around them. and with only one leg your precious jets are almost useless, unless you have an extrodinary pilot.

with these tactics I normaly drop all the jets and use the space for targeting comps. 70-75 ton mechs do this rather well. heavy enough to carry a lare amount of long range power wepons. and just fast enough to go around the leged mechs.
Nightward
05/08/04 12:59 AM

Hmm.

Perhaps a quick game against Ned will educate him on the value of Jump Jets?
Greyslayer
05/08/04 06:25 AM

The problem with many player's mindset is that what works best on one thing completely fails in another.

In a tournament where your force and skills will ultimately be tested you will find the wide open plains where the buffalo roam will be a rare sight. Woods, water, hills, rubble and rough terrain will appear in varying levels. Dust storms blowing causing lasers to be +2 and ACs/Missiles +1 could throw the advantage into units that close well and just go for bulk damage. Snow or boggy ground could make your ground pounding mech nearly immobile while a jump-based mech can quickly grab terrain which give them the advantage. I don't always use jump-jet based mechs but dissing them is something I generally don't do.

And clan mechs are for weenies
Death_Fire
05/10/04 11:58 AM

I see that the jump mechs have their advantages. But it is just my preferance that I don't like them. "They may be great in many arias, and they can be weak, I see all of this and accept it. It is a game front and foremost and all styles of combat have their due."

Quote:

And clan mechs are for weenies -Greyslayer

I'm having real trouble with this comment. So let me explain, that I have trouble with new rules and weapons. I was first introduced to the game by one of my friends and play almost always in the level 1-2 rules in the Return of Kerensky. at that time all I.S. mechs where almost worthless.
Thor_Mech
05/10/04 03:21 PM

Hmmm... Usually I like some speed, so a Clan Omni, Like a Timberwolf, Summoner, Hellbringer, or Mad Dog. Basically, I like the 70-75 ton range. However, in a tight spot, I enjoy the power and armor of assaults. I believe the only true reason to use an assault class is for sheer firepower and armor. Therefore the Dire Wolf and the Warhawk are prime examples, with the Warhawk still showing decent speed. I like 100 tonners .
"Even after all these years, walking through the ranks of 'Mechs still gives me the chills"
- Intelligence Secretary Justin Xiang Allard
Outreach, 21, Sept 3051
Greyslayer
05/10/04 06:03 PM

I'm generally a merc, sure I have a disadvantage fighting clan tech and being merc would mean it would be very inefficient in materials and money (and the bloody long time it takes) to customise my units to fight them. I also would not have the equipment or technology to repair clan tech. Thats fine by me though, I've gutted superior forces many a time through the flexibility of tactics and strategy allowed to mercs that isn't supposed to be allowed to clans.

During the first few waves if you have full or even partial salvage rights then that Dire Wolf you salvaged just brought you a new medium/heavy COMPANY . People were always just trying to hold on to the higher tech rather than realise the best value was in what they had but more of it

As for I.S. mechs being almost worthless that is not true. If, like it sounds, your opponents decided to attack you while out in the open, then of course the mechs were almost useless. Sheer numbers would still overwhelm you, but the numbers it would take would be horrendous. In closed terrain when you are ambushed, I don't care who you are, there is going to be some pain
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10884

Contact Admins Sarna.net