Dark Age or not?

Pages: 1
Death_Fire
04/23/04 12:21 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've thought about it and I want to know your thoughts about new or old battletech?
I mean are you a Dark Age fan or a pureist? (old battletech all the way!)
Personaly I think Dark Age oversimplified and took all the real game away
CrayModerator
04/23/04 01:09 PM

Quote:

I've thought about it and I want to know your thoughts about new or old battletech?
I mean are you a Dark Age fan or a pureist? (old battletech all the way!)
Personaly I think Dark Age oversimplified and took all the real game away

First, you can play the "real game" in the Dark Ages setting.

Second, the "real game" is publishing a lot of new works, quite rapidly.

I don't think I like the Dark Ages *game* (click-base and all), but the setting is fine. I have the MWDA Record Sheets. The Jihad is a breath of fresh air: real fighting, and sweeping away a lot of the old, played-out plot lines.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (04/23/04 01:10 PM)
Gangrene
04/23/04 02:54 PM

I have not played MWDA, but I have read the rules and played MageKnight, so I get the idea of what the gameplay is like.

The clickey games can be fun, and can have their own advantages, but I don't think MWDA's implementation of the universe is good at all. The idea that combat vehicles of the future would be built solely to run around and punch each other is just stupid. I wouldn't have minded changes to Btech if the changes resulted in a more serious, realistic wargame. MWDA took it in the opposite direction.

Plus the storyline is lame.
Gangrene
CRASH
04/23/04 08:52 PM

Honestly, I’ve never played Dark Ages, or read any of the material (rules or storyline), but personally, I’m a purist all the way. I actually prefer running all level 1 tech and 3025 storyline. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem w/ the Clans, Clan-tech, level 2 and 3 stuff (yay! Double heat-sinks! ‘nuff said) but I guess I’m just an old timer. Clicky-tech just seems like the next worse thing to witch craft.
"It is not home if there is no beer." - Largo, MegaTokyo.com (10.12.01)
Ignorant_Savage
04/23/04 11:24 PM

well... we had a big discussion about it awhile back, (previous to this i was totally in the dark about dark age) and i have been able to formulate this opinion:

dark age = crap.

i won't play it. looks like a cheap knock off of every other sci-fi story. i'll stick with the original, thank you very much.

but hey, that's just me, some people seem to like it. then again, some people like to listen to justin timberlake... there really is no accounting for taste is there?

- Savage
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
Death_Fire
04/27/04 12:27 PM

Quote:

well... we had a big discussion about it awhile back, (previous to this i was totally in the dark about dark age) and i have been able to formulate this opinion:

dark age = crap.

i won't play it. looks like a cheap knock off of every other sci-fi story. i'll stick with the original, thank you very much.

but hey, that's just me, some people seem to like it. then again, some people like to listen to justin timberlake... there really is no accounting for taste is there?

- Savage

Thank You!
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
Greyslayer
04/28/04 11:24 AM

Its been a very long time since I last posted on this board or in fact in anything related to battletech. I would like to say it was real life interferring with my available time and it is now available but in truth I lost the interest in discussing the btech universe with others.

The reason? Continual 'pathetic' decisions as to the direction of the btech universe. At the top of the long list of failures as far as decisions are concerned here has to be the MWDA one. When a 'long-term' cult type game is turned into a 'side-dish' for only a 'fad' type game you have to wonder what the guys are on.

Those who don't know me might think that is fine since I probably grew up in the 3025-era of the game? Incorrect, I started playing through the buggy mechwarrior 2 role-playing system in the 3055-57period with super-munched mechs. I soon realised the errors (or maybe era ) of my ways and turned to being involved in playing 3025-styled mercenary contracts.

I'm just waiting for MW: Dark Pog to come out.
Karagin
05/03/04 10:19 AM

Guess I would be a pureist. Dark Age is not something I plan on supporting at all.

So long as I can play BT then I am happy.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Mongoose
05/07/04 11:52 PM

I play them both, and enjoy them both. That being said, it should probably be noted that my most frequent opponent for Classic Battletech is my brother, when he is home on leave - and my most frequent opponent for MW:DA is my 10-year old nephew. Entirely different philosophies behind the game systems. Being the critic that I am, I can complain about the issues within either system for many, many hours.....I suppose I am not as passionate on the subject as many whose posts I have read here
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6495

Contact Admins Sarna.net