Player Types, what are you?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MadWolf
01/09/03 01:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have the weirdest luck, all my pilots die but the mechs are usualy in decient shape when that happens, and i cant kill a pilot of my opponets to save my life, but there mech is usually not even worth a salvge crews time after i get done with it.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
SinOriginal
01/19/03 07:21 PM

A thirty-five ton mech with masc and a super charger, no arms, and xxl engine and xl gyro for 10 walking mp, max armor and 2 large lasers with TC with little to no heat problems and you have a Demon Catcher, +6 avg to hit per turn running. I like it because its able to close range quickly and can cause some serious hurt with a ramming attack.

So I used to be into clan speed and lasers and no heat problems. I'm working on balancing my tactics to favor heavier mechs with mixed weaponry and IS omnimechs.
Vicen_Korel
10/13/03 12:08 AM

hmm...I like a mech that can deal as much damage as it has tonnage with out overheating. I also like for it to be able to take a hit in return. This could be why i am a clanner...
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
widowmaker
10/14/03 05:52 AM

Good grief, where'd you find this one? The last post on this thread was 9 months ago!

That said, I'm a low techie... give me the purity of Level 1 play any time, any place. When I must play Level 2, well, my name should tell you everything you need to know.
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/14/03 01:27 PM

Heh if we are dragging up the past we might as well all contribute right...
Personally I am low tech lover with a particular love of energy weapons. In later tech I like the assault mechs that wade into battle to use big short range hitting power, especially *drool* the Beserker, the Kodiak, and the King Crab.
In low tech I primarily look for decent armor and energy weapons. Favorites include the Thug (the downgraded one), FLashman (again downgraded), Warhammer, and the Catapult K2.
Personally I love all type of players (except uber munchkinny, always clan cheese balls), but in battle I tend to get most annoyed by large sized fast little units (horde of wasps), and the super long range units (lrms, gauss rifles, and ac 5).
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Diablo
10/20/03 07:27 AM

i'm hi-tech. Hardened armour *drool*.... max out a 100 ton clan mech with hardend armour and add some gaussrifles, ER large pulse lasers, ERPPC's, and of course Angel ECM with at least 2 AMS systems, plus the occasional CASE II system and I've taken down a company of mechs! hehehe.... unless this is considered munching.... in that case.... GAUSS RIFLES! and PPC's where space allows....
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
tgsofgc
10/20/03 12:11 PM

Yup I am pretty sure that would qualify as munchkinism.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
Avanti's Angels, 3058
widowmaker
10/21/03 02:43 AM

Can it truly be munchkinism without a targeting computer?
widowmaker

What's your dice fetish?
tgsofgc
10/21/03 02:49 AM

Lol he probally uses the level three is targetting comps too, no offense...
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Firekid
11/11/03 04:05 PM

I am a number man I'll go for less firepower but more mechs. I don't like Bombarders, all they do is stay FAR away and fire missle salvo after missle salvo
wartang
11/18/03 07:48 AM

i like all ranges, missile boats, snipers, very few brawlers but then agian I use a lot of vehicals
i love this game
tgsofgc
11/18/03 12:53 PM

So what are your favorite mechs? (comon just give a us a couple at least)
Avanti's Angels, 3058
wartang
11/20/03 02:24 PM

a lot of home brewd stuff
saam
lineman

veeks
hellfires
hellstroms
hellmakers
tincans
sheildbearers
i love this game
MadMage
11/23/03 10:57 AM

I like to be a support kinda player.....Usually go with 70 tonners and long range balistic (mostly AC/10) and LRM 20 and sometimes a MASC or Supercharger when I need to get into the battle fast.
Ignorant_Savage
11/23/03 11:23 AM

i like to use 'mechs with a good balance of speed and firepower. i tend to let things like heat managenent and ammo sort themselves out in battle.

some of my favorites:

warhammer whm-7m
caesar ces-3r
dragon fire dgr-3f
marauder mad-5s
berserker brz-a3
barghest bgs-2t
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
John
11/25/03 04:12 PM

I'm right there with you brother ... just add 1 thing ... I don't like to die when my torso is shot off, so I like standard engines also.

Fire everything and weather his incomming fire.

Gowron
Sarge
12/17/03 02:07 AM

I am a flanker and a reservist: I love to turn flanks and hold back a fast reserve to shoot gaps.

I am wearied by UberPowerGamers that create battle tech battalions that are so saturated by Clan Tech and level 3 devices from Max Tech that they can can wipe out Wolf's Dragoons with little trouble.
-Sarge
JStallion
02/04/04 09:46 PM

definently a light show. saggittaire is fav assault, wolfhound for light, then theres just numerous medium and heavy i can enjoy. NO ammo needed!! who doesnt love that?!?!
neven
02/09/04 01:30 AM

Me, i like templars, hellfires, blood kites, daishis, and of course my fav. the hellion.
i mostly like fast and lite, and heavy and loaded with weapons.
then there are diferent designs, i do like wolfhounds, atlas, i usually like fast + lite, and heavy-assault. my favourite medium mech is da crab, its made for underwater, and is packed with lasers!
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Silenced_Sonix
02/13/04 01:01 PM

Pulse lasers, LRM's and the odd autocannon. Also lots of ECM suites (anti-C3, etc.), and a preference for medium to heavy 'Mechs that can move when needed to.
Evolve or Die
HardKorHippy
03/02/04 09:14 PM

I'm a very unorthodox player. Some of my favorite weapons are Infernos, Flamers when using my home rules (2 Damage & 3 Heat to target), Melee weapons, MRMs, etc. I'm also a big fan of Ultra AC/20s. You could use an LB-X, but why? It's not worth giving up the double rate of fire for those crappy Cluster munitions.
Death_Fire
04/23/04 12:02 PM

Yo! I'm a Power Freak all the way! I can't tell you how mutch I enjoy using a large Mech (Thor [see What's your favorite mech]) to run up to you, and blow out your center torso in 1.62 seconds!
(crappy salvage though)
The winning team is the first team that wins!
-Hitchikers Guide To The Galixies
Death_Fire
04/26/04 12:30 PM

True, but teh worst types are the ones who use the fastest waek mechs and just run around in circles never geting anything done.
Nevik
04/27/04 09:19 AM

Gauss, gauss, baby! I have a prefrence for heavly armored medium mechs and total heat efficiency. pure Innersphere all the way (Lousy Clan Tech! Stupidsuperioreverythingsomunchymumblemumble...), and I'm very paranoid about rear armor, very parionid. as a rule, I usuly have (front armor / 2) + 1 armor points on the rear torsos of all my mechs. My armorment focuses around Gauss, Large lasers, and Arrow IV. oh, I'm also a firm beliver in Long tom artillery (homegrown stuff, not in the 3025 tro). All my mechs only have average mobility, but they are usually connected to a c3 network, allowing me to put the hurt on any dumb enough to close with my forces.

Personaly, though I don't hate, I really dislike all clantech (not the players, just the equiptment), and shun all clan omnis and targeting comps from my forces.
-Nuke the Whales

-Revenge of the drunken pandas
Death_Fire
04/27/04 12:15 PM

WHAT!?!?!?!? Hate Clan tech!?!? It's the only thing thet brought the I.S. out of the stupid secession wars!
Greyslayer
04/28/04 12:20 PM

I don't really see this as a 'type' of player but rather the preferred methodology of the player.

Munchkin, Ruleslawyer, Powergamer(should read Munchkin but doesn't know it) and so on are player types. It doesn't mean that just because you are a munch that you would play a power game.

Personally my methodology changes often. Some tourneys I have gone in with a mostly ppc army and whooped some butt. The next year players expecting much the same came accross a LRM/medium laser army that again caught them out in the open. I've used fast and slow 'mass mugging' armies of Protomechs or elementals (or both) as well as vast numbers of cheap (in battle value) vehicles such as the AC2 variant of the Partisan.

It is really a matter of situation.
Nightward
04/28/04 08:44 PM

Ahh, yes. The infamous "Wickings Solution", consisting of Achileus Armour backed up by a ridiculous number of long-range Tanks, eh?

I too pick by the situation, though I'm more biased to designs I like (often with no logical supporting reason). If it weighs 55 tons and I'm using it, it's a Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, or Wraith. If it weighs 75 tons and I'm using it, it's a Timber Wolf.

For friendly games, I pick whatever I think will do well and run with that. Ned (who runs many of the games and tournaments Scott and I play) favours having piloting and gunnery scores determined by a sliding scale involving technology base and tonnage. So you tend to see lots of one kind of 'Mech; Clan games tend to be dominated by Night Gyrs, whilst IS games don't usually have that much in common between the 'Mechs. Generally, though, you see two kinds of 'Mech types chosen; Speed Demons and Chunks. The Spped Demons run screaming around the battlefield, shoot something, run away, and then repeat. The Chunks just sort of stand around and blow [censored] up. These days, though, RAC+TC seems to be the way to go.

I've run the gamut of player types. I used to be a Munchkin, but then I defected to the Inner Sphere. Now I try to use 'Mechs the way they should be used, instead of just running headlong into the enemy's midst. That really used to get in trouble at tournaments, because I insisted on using Clan HEavies, and then wound up being outgunned, outrun, ounumbered, and generally totally PWNZ0RED at the hands of my opponents.

The type of player that used to annoy me the most is the one that carefully deliberates before doing anything...then chooses the most obvious solution any way. That really used to grate on me, until I realised it was a subtle psychological tool and was the reason Mal kept hammering me. Now I hate people who think Dire Wolves are the only kind of 'Mech worth using, simply because it's the heaviest Clan 'Mech EVAR!!!oneone.

I think I set out to make some sort of point at the start of the post, but I've now forgotten it completely. Meh.

So. How goes the Cube Campaign, Scott? Any word on the next game meet?
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
04/29/04 10:02 AM

1 long-ranged tank. It just happened to be a Partisan LRM variant with 1 gunnery

The three supporting J Edgars with Mgs and 4 squads of Achilleus generally took apart anything that tried to get close enough to the long-ranged unit before it became an issue. Of course the problem begins when in one game you are not allowed the use of the 1300-point unit in the Partisan since you are forced to start on a swamp map (it was a 2500-point tourney), I won it but the opposing rifleman was glowing bright red from 4 squads of flamer Achilleus going heat on his butt

Ah now he talks about the 'good ole days' where Nightward would try his latest Timber Wolf modification only to get totalled by someone touting a standard Ryoken or Nova. You should've seen him squirm . Pity being a grand melee I didn't usually get the kill

In this we are brought to whether you have played a person who either played the particular persona well or ultra-poorly? In other words did people think that said person was good at playing the power-gamer or they truly utilised their lasers they love so much? Do you think the person who played the laser game so well would do okay with a missile boat and so on.

Like in most things for the above questions I tend to lean towards Jack-of-all-trades, so while being adequate in the PPCs powergaming I am also adequate in using LRMs boats, nothing fearsome in that though it is handy if using a non-all-the-same force.

As for the cube campaign you should talk to the organiser on the latest gossip. My unit still hasn't seen heavy action and since the last 24 hours in game time has seen nothing but heavy rain you could say not much heavy action taking place anywhere else as well.
Nightward
04/30/04 05:18 AM

Actually, scratch that. New Player Type:

The Chaos Factor

The Chaos Factor can't be predicted, largely because they have no idea what they themselves are going to do next. Their Unit appears to be an ill-chosen hodge-podge, and...my God. Did you see that? His Phoenix Hawk is providing fire support whilst his Archer and Marauder move in for close combat!

ARG! MY BRAIN!

What is this guy on? And why is working?

That's me. Entropy-Based Warfare be damned. Break your opponent's brain at first opportunity, and watch the fun...

And Scott, at least my Munchkinism was telling me the Timber Wolf was the best 'Mech to stuff around with Timber Wolves are still my first choice these days, too.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Vicen_Korel
04/30/04 10:24 AM

Alright, give me a targetting computer, speed/jump jets, and some pulse lasers. -3 to hit normally and called shots at just +1. I'll normally put this on a light or low weight medium, with one large pulse and a medium, or 4 mediums. I like speed over armor, acuracy over fire power. I'll usually mix two of these mechs, with a slower, mech with LRMs and PPC and C3 them all together.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 28861

Contact Admins Sarna.net