What do you need to run...

Pages: 1
Link
05/13/04 03:21 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What other books besides the MW3 RPG does it take to run the game along with some mini's on a map? I want to run a campaign using the maps I just bought but have it as a normal RPG game too, the MW3 book doesn't explain Mech weapons and damage, so I was either going to use the PC games as reference or look for the book that explains it all. Please need input from all.
CrayModerator
05/13/04 06:36 AM

Do you only have the MW3 RPG book, or do you have any other BT books?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Link
05/13/04 01:35 PM

Just the MW3 book.
tgsofgc
05/13/04 05:01 PM

Get the Master Rules: Revised. That is the definative tome on running the actual board game (Battletech). In fact it will probally be more important to understand that book well than the Mechwarrior RPG book.

Think of it as:
Master Rules Revised = Battles, Mechs, and the Game in general
Mechwarrior = Generally when things are down to personal level, ie people versus mechs. Hence unless people in your RPG want to be secret agents, infantry etc, you will probally be using the master rules very very very often.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
CrayModerator
05/13/04 06:41 PM

Quote:

Just the MW3 book.

What tgsofsc said is correct.

But...wow. Deja vu. That's EXACTLY how I got into BT. I got the MW1 RPG book first (since it was cheaper, $12.95 in the catalog vs $19.95 for the boxed BT 2nd ed. set) and then realized the MW1 RPG book didn't have it all.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Link
05/17/04 02:43 PM

Ok I now just won an EBAY auction for the Battletech Master Rules Revised, paid a little too much, but the way I see it, I paid like $5.00 for the MW3, so it evens out. Now this book will be it, so all I need to run an RPG using the map as guideance, is the 2 books? Plus some figures to use on the map?
CrayModerator
05/17/04 05:54 PM

Quote:

Ok I now just won an EBAY auction for the Battletech Master Rules Revised, paid a little too much,

BMR-Revised is still in print. Did you pay more than retail price for it?
Quote:

but the way I see it, I paid like $5.00 for the MW3, so it evens out. Now this book will be it, so all I need to run an RPG using the map as guideance, is the 2 books? Plus some figures to use on the map?

The figures needn't be metal minis. I'm quite happy with the cardboard cutouts sold with the old boxed sets and, at times, improvised counters like bottlecaps. But, basically yes.

And dice. 2d6 should do it, plus some d10's for the RPG.

Edited by Cray (05/17/04 05:55 PM)
Link
05/18/04 04:28 AM

Still in print? How when the EBAY aution showed the BattleTech Master Rules Revised with the year of 1706 whereas the MW3 is showing 1765 I think, can't remember, but still the BTMRR book I think I paid too much for but oh well fun comes at a price. Besides I couldn't find it retail as our retail is 2 stores that hardly have anything for RPG's in the Battletech/Mechwarrior.
CrayModerator
05/18/04 06:05 AM

Quote:

Still in print?

Yes. Fast Forward Games seems to be the favored distributer of FanPro's new Battletech products:

http://www.fastforwardgames.com/fanprosales.cfm

And...oops, the BMR is out of stock there. But there's a lot of other spiffy Battletech stuff there.

Greyslayer
05/18/04 10:57 AM

Quote:

The figures needn't be metal minis. I'm quite happy with the cardboard cutouts sold with the old boxed sets and, at times, improvised counters like bottlecaps. But, basically yes.

... and the equally useful Lego men. They make great representations of mechs. You can even colour-code your troops, red the enemy for the players and blue or yellow their guys.

Just my 2 cents (AU) worth,

Greyslayer
Link
05/18/04 04:30 PM

So your saying this book here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16487&item=3192935438&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWN:IT is the wrong one?
CrayModerator
05/18/04 06:51 PM

Quote:

So your saying this book here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16487&item=3192935438&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWN:IT is the wrong one?

That is the correct book, the latest BMR.

Checking...Amazon and Barnes & Noble have a slightly older version of the BMR in stock, which lacks the latest weaponry and protomechs, but is very playable.

Gee, I guess you need to bid on Ebay for the latest version of the BMR, or wait until the next printing.

CrayModerator
05/18/04 06:51 PM

Quote:

... and the equally useful Lego men. They make great representations of mechs. You can even colour-code your troops, red the enemy for the players and blue or yellow their guys.

Aren't those prone to falling over on the cardboard maps?

Link
05/19/04 02:50 AM

That link I posted was the book I bid on and won. I guess I will have to enjoy it when it arrives then, by the way how much is it Canadian? As for the LEGO thing, all you do is add those little flat 2x2 squares to their feet.
CrayModerator
05/19/04 07:48 AM

Quote:

That link I posted was the book I bid on and won. I guess I will have to enjoy it when it arrives then, by the way how much is it Canadian?

Oops, I misread the price on your bid. It was about $31 US (not much more than a new BMR) and about $43 Canadian. That's not bad.
Quote:

As for the LEGO thing, all you do is add those little flat 2x2 squares to their feet.

Duh. I knowed that, I did, I did.

Vicen_Korel
05/21/04 11:24 AM

Hmpf. I have stores all around me that sell that book, and many of the other new books. My problem is getting mini's, maps, and tech readouts. don't have a supplier in kentucky.
"Nothing sends your love like an ER PPC"
--Vicen Korel
CrayModerator
05/21/04 07:31 PM

Quote:

Hmpf. I have stores all around me that sell that book, and many of the other new books. My problem is getting mini's, maps, and tech readouts. don't have a supplier in kentucky.

Minis: non critical.
Maps: see computer printers and Microsoft Paint.
Readouts: There are several near-complete, free on-line TRO archives online. If you don't mind paying, the Heavy Metal design programs come with complete libraries of designs, and they can be mailed/downloaded.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9455

Contact Admins Sarna.net