Rules questions

Pages: 1
Marshall
05/23/04 11:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, this is even when a veteran player is stumped.

In a game today, I had an opponent tell me that a 'mech on a L1 or greater counts for an additional hex for determining range. Same opponent also tried to tell me that jumping into heavy woods forces a piloting skill roll. Now, I know it says reading the WK/Fanpro most recent set of rules, that isn't the case on the pilot check for the heavy woods jump. I think the first point is also wrong, as I haven't heard of this except when I play in my area. What gives? Are these 'house rules' people just play with?

Marshall
Nightward
05/24/04 04:38 AM

Standing "Mechs rise 1 level above the terrain they occupy for the puposes of LOS. P. 26, BMR(R). They may be confusing 1 level for 1 hex, but should still be smote for ignorance.

As for the Jumping thing, yeah- BS. Unless your 'Mech was Jumping with damaged Leg actuators or a Gyro Hit, in which case a test is required.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
CrayModerator
05/24/04 06:32 AM

Quote:

In a game today, I had an opponent tell me that a 'mech on a L1 or greater counts for an additional hex for determining range.

No. In Level 3 games, MaxTech (I think) offers some suggestions for calculating range while factoring in altitude, but that's just an application of Pythagorem's Theorem (sp) and the important thing to remember is that a level of altitude is only 6 meters, while a hex is 30 meters across.

Consider a mech standing on a level 5 hill. The hill (and mech #1) are 2 hexes away from an attacking mech. The distance is:

(2x30)^2 + (5x6)^2 = Distance^2
Distance = 67 meters.

Or just a 7 meter range increase over 2 hexes.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
05/25/04 02:54 AM

Jumping into Jungle was a problem from what I remember in MaxTech, but hardly heavy woods. That I believe is a 'house rules' to represent someone's belief of inflicting reality into the game. I am sure we are all guilty of this at some stage .
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6056

Contact Admins Sarna.net