Arrow V

Pages: 1
htmlord
06/12/04 03:16 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Arrow V Missile

The Arrow V came as a result of research into air combat on ancient Terra. Shortly before the advent of true spaceflight, some of the most advanced fighters of the time used extremely long range homing missiles to eliminate their targets before any other weapons could be brought to bear. The researchers combined this theory with the already stellar Arrow IV artillery missile to create the Arrow V, an external, bolt-on centerline weapon for AeroFighters operating in space. Due to air friction and the stresses of reentry, the weapon cannot be brought into atmosphere, as its warhead is too delicate to survive. However, its internal sensors package and enhanced thrusters make it an exceptional space superiority weapon.

Arrow V
Tonnage : The hardpoint requires 2 Tons, the weapon is external and requires no weight
Crits : The hardpoint requires 1 Crit and must be mounted in the Fuselage
Range : 3 Maps
Damage : 25

Notes : The Arrow V is so fast it arrives the turn it is fired on. To-hit roll is rolled with a +2 modifier for range, but no pilot or firing ship modifiers. A hit indicates hard lock and guarantees detonation. A miss and the missile selfdestructs immediately. A fighter carrying an Arrow V acts as if it is carrying a full load of bombs for movement and evasion purposes. Any hit to a fighter carrying an Arrow V that has not been launched that strikes the fuselage will detonate the Arrow V, causing the carrying fighter 15 pts of additional damage to the fuselage ( the shaped charge directs some of the blast away).

Any thoughts?
Nightward
06/12/04 04:43 AM

Ehh...

You do realise that 1 AT2 Hex is equal to 1 BT map, right?

Even AT2 wepons are hard-pressed to strike across some 63 hexes.

This weapon is able to strike without any TAG guidance, and does not scatter.

Finally, there are already rules for carrying Arrow IV ordinance in AT2.

I think it's a little too good.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
tgsofgc
06/12/04 05:12 AM

i second...
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Gangrene
06/12/04 07:16 PM

Give the weapon a mass, and then recalc thrust based on increased mass. Drop the rule saying the fighter behaves as though its carrying a full load of bombs.

Clarify the use of the weapon. Is it limited to exo-atmospheric use, or can it also be used within the atmosphere?

Personally I have always been disappointed with how blatantly unsophisticated Battletech weapons are. This is a step in the right direction.
Gangrene

Edited by Gangrene (06/12/04 07:18 PM)
htmlord
06/13/04 01:43 AM

Okay, as it was late last night when I posted this previously, I completely ignored what I was really making. I found it a few minutes ago, flipping through my BattleSpace book. Its an external, bolt-on, Barracuda missile. Total Mass of roughly 30 tons, plus hardpoint for about 32 tons, total. One shot, total range of about 36 Hexes (Extreme range in BattleSpace terms). The principle difference is its guidance system. To-hit value should be 8 plus target modifiers, not 6 plus target modifiers as I stated before. Goof'd up that, too. It can target fighters only, and it is only exo-atmospheric capable. The warhead is completely external and has minimal armoring to allow for maximum firepower, so the friction of atmospheric entry and transit would demolish the guidance system and possibly cause the warhead to detonate. Okay, here are the more proper stats :

Internal Mass : 2 Tons
External Mass : 30 Tons
Bulk : 1 Crit in the Fuselage only
Range : 24-36 Hexes ONLY, before that the guidance package doesn't have time to activate and acquire
Targetting : To-hit of 8, plus target modifiers. Firing unit's skill and movement don't apply. May only target other fighters.
Damage : 20, or 2 Fire Factors
Special Notes : As noted above, may only target other fighters, and may only be mounted on fighters. Recalc thrust with an additional 30 Tons when mounted until the weapon is fired. May not enter atmosphere until the weapon has been fired. Weapon immediately detonates upon contact with atmosphere (ie no firing into atmosphere). Any hits against the carrying unit's fuselage cause the missile to detonate, doing 15 damage to the carrying units fuselage in addition to the damage from the original attack.

I think that tones the weapon down a bit. Its still designed to reach out and hit the opponent before he can strike back, but not so much now. Comments welcome. Also, if you think this is too powerful/not powerful enough, suggestions to bring it more in line would be welcome.

Also, I'm thinking about making the hardpoint able to carry different kinds of missiles, possibly an anti-WarShip/anti-DropShip cruise missile based on the Great White cap ship missile.. but that's for another day and another post.
Nightward
06/13/04 02:39 AM

Only thing is that the missile doesn't have any guidance systems mounted on the fighter. The mass and BVs given for the Missile Launchers don't just represent the launch tube- they represent all the heat arrays, electronics, gyrostabilizers, and all those other bells and whistles.

Not to mention the fact that Fighters are prohibited from carrying Naval weapons. Also, each naval Weapon forces the addition of 1 Crewman whose duty is to fire the gun- and that's on board a vessel that allcates hundreds of tons to targeting computers.

Next up, firing a Barracuda would leave the AeroSpace Fighter sitting in the backwash of an Capital Missile. I dunno about you, but I'd rather be just about anywhere else.

Finally, 30 tons isn't going to do much to a fighter in space. They might loose a single MP (two if they weigh less than 30 tons) and for the limited range available...it's not worth it. I'd much rather a pair of ER Large Lasers.

I think BT already has enough weird and whacky weapons. Adding more only makes my brain ache.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Gangrene
06/13/04 01:34 PM

Well, I admire your audacity to think outside the Battletech box, but frankly this weapon is terrible. IMO, you've gone much too far in making sure that its "balanced" to the point of making it senseless and useless. Thirty tons for 20 points of non-capital damage? Gimme a break. I know its tempting to take a pre-existing system and apply it in a new way, but the system you have chosen is a poor one, and should be ignored when possible.

In your original post you said "The Arrow V came as a result of research into air combat on ancient Terra . . . some of the most advanced fighters of the time used extremely long range homing missiles to eliminate their targets before any other weapons could be brought to bear." If your intent is to make a Btech version of an AMRAAM or sidewinder, then copy an AMRAAM or sidewinder. Below are a few things that I think would improve your system.

First off, drop the notion of borrowing anything from Battlespace, AT2, or any other space-based junk of the Btech universe. It might be enjoyable for a stand-alone gaming system, but none of it makes sense if you look too closely.

Compare your weapon's abilities to those of other equipment the aerospace fighter could mount. An LRM20 with an Artemis has about the same per-turn damage capability as the weapon you suggest, has much greater endurance, and has a much more useful range band. It would be more beneficial to make up an external pod LRM20 than use your Arrow V. So if you want to make a stand-alone missile it should be able to compete with this.

I suggest you take the thunderbolt-20 as your reference instead of the Barracuda. The tbolt-20 has good range and only weighs 1/6 of a ton. Keep the limited range band and to-hit for your weapon, but make its weight 0.5 tons or 1 ton. Also, in the case of a fighter carrying multiple missiles limit the rate of fire to one per turn.

I think the missile should also be usable within the atmosphere, just not capable of surviving re-entry. This means ground launched fighters could use it also.
Gangrene
MrMagonigal
06/21/04 04:12 PM

Now THAT one makes sense.
I am the Ultimate Professional Amatuer!
Good Luck, Good Hunting and Stay ALIVE!!!
Bansee
06/23/04 09:41 AM

I bet that is what MiG ilots say when they find out about the AIM-54 (correct my nomenclature if it is wrong) Phoenix. But they probly said it in Russian.
Karagin
12/26/06 10:10 PM

I did something similar to this up as part of some ideas on weapons upgrades, let me see if I can find my old notes.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
08/29/21 12:31 PM

And here we are 15 years later and I still haven't found my notes...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
09/08/21 06:09 AM

Did you check your other pants
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9342

Contact Admins Sarna.net