Orbital Bombardment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CrayModerator
07/02/02 07:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
If the jumpship jumped into a planet, ignoring the whole torn-apart-by-high-gravity-during-a-jump thing, it would appear in the center of a hollow space of just-annihilated matter. The walls of planet stuff around it would've been heated to incredible temperatures by the conversion of a cubic kilometer (give or take) of matter into energy.

In short, the jumpship would only wish it had appeared in the core of a star.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
07/02/02 07:36 AM

They take time to work - seconds, fraction of second - much longer than it takes the heat and radiation of the superheated chamber to reflect back and forth.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
07/02/02 07:38 AM

I'm willing to bet the time it would take for the ship's computers to run the jump program, trigger the jump engines, and get the ship out of there would be longer than it took to cook the ship. The computers and electrical systems of the ship work at the same light-speed that the seething radiation around them does.

Khan_Robinette
07/02/02 09:28 AM

Anybody wanna ask the Snow ravens if they ould mind "loaning" a few ships for "testing" purposes?
I mean they did so well by allowing Clan Wolverine to "test" a nuke on their genetic repository :P
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
MacLeod
07/02/02 02:49 PM

A kamikaze JumpShip attack would be best done by Loki or Kali Liao's Thugee Death Cult. They're both known for commonly sending agents on suicide runs.

Hey, who best to test it than the Liao? They're the best ones to use it on!! Oooh, the irony...
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Khan_Robinette
07/02/02 02:55 PM

Yeah but for me a Snow Raven ship crashing into Sian....ahh two birds, one HUGE stone.
Yep the Wolverine bred true in this one alright.
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
MacLeod
07/02/02 02:59 PM

Very true. No more Snow Ravens and no more Liao...

Although, personally I'd rather see the Ice Hellions get jumped into the core of Sian. Ass-a Taney!! Hehe!
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Gnome76
04/07/04 02:45 PM

It makes me kinda curious if any ships ever would get lost in "mid-jump", but I'm also kinda glad that BattleTech stays away from that sort of stuff.... Yes... you find a ship that was supposedly lost in hyperspace 50 years ago, and two days later James Doohan's getting drunk on the Grav Deck.
CrayModerator
04/07/04 02:56 PM

Quote:

It makes me kinda curious if any ships ever would get lost in "mid-jump",

There are several examples, dating from the 2100s to the Succession Wars.
Quote:

but I'm also kinda glad that BattleTech stays away from that sort of stuff.... Yes... you find a ship that was supposedly lost in hyperspace 50 years ago, and two days later James Doohan's getting drunk on the Grav Deck.

...You just half-described the adventure pack, "Living Legends." A modified Aegis cruiser that was part of Kerensky's Exodus Fleet had its experimental KF drive malfunction and the cruiser was stuck in (almost) timeless hyperspace for ~250 years before popping out in the Clan invasion zone at its intended destination.

There's also a whole novel where a jumpship mis-jumps some extreme distance and ends up on a world of intelligent bird-men.

However, those instances are the exception, not the norm.

Gnome76
04/07/04 04:37 PM

Quote:

There's also a whole novel where a jumpship mis-jumps some extreme distance and ends up on a world of intelligent bird-men.

Heh... I remember seeing that in the catalog that came with the 2nd ed boxed set... I also remember that I looked at the catalog more than the rulebook, because at the time, I was 10 years old and the only rules I understood were for constructing 'Mechs.
neven
04/19/04 07:41 PM

Cray, how you said about orbital bombardment and nukes should be kept from civillians because of the ares conventions, what about the word of blake?
they took a couple of battleships and smashed outreach with nukes and heavy missiles until outreach became just a smoking rock, and that all happened in 3067, one insane time...
-***"ADAPT TO SURVIVE"***-
Bansee
06/22/04 06:01 PM

Depends, do you mind breaking the Aries Convention? If not, blast away !
CrayModerator
06/22/04 09:16 PM

Quote:

Depends, do you mind breaking the Aries Convention? If not, blast away !

The Ares Conventions does not prevent orbital bombardment under all circumstances. The Conventions apply to bombardments against civilian targets.

Otherwise: blast away!

wartang
06/30/04 11:29 AM

one mad man to another: so just where are you going to be if you destroy the world?

ok but acordind to all the theories ive heard that would cause a ripple that would destroy not just that object but all of creation
i love this game
CrayModerator
06/30/04 01:22 PM

Quote:

one mad man to another: so just where are you going to be if you destroy the world?

ok but acordind to all the theories ive heard that would cause a ripple that would destroy not just that object but all of creation

What? What would?

A jumpship jumping into a solid object creates a nice explosion, but it's survivable. There's a nice write-up of an incident during the Liberation of Terra where one jumpship landed partly inside another, it's nose in the other's engine section.

The arriving ship got away with a lost nose. The parked ship was destroyed, mostly because the other phased its nose into its engine section.

If a ship (a small, lightly armored corvette) can survive that phasing, I REALLY doubt that all of creation is at risk from jumping into a planet.

You'd make a nice cavern, like a mid-yield underground nuclear explosion.

wartang
06/30/04 07:22 PM

oh right, right, fanticy not real life
i love this game
CrayModerator
06/30/04 07:30 PM

Quote:

oh right, right, fanticy not real life

Heh. Point taken.

However, canonical fiction has put limits on the blast of a fictional FTL drive phasing into fictional matter.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 21860

Contact Admins Sarna.net