Famed Scenarios

Pages: 1
Brandx0
07/02/04 07:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm surprised, I've been looking around on the net and nowhere can I find any scenarios for btech based on events of novels. I know some of the official fasa published scenario packs include a bunch, but I know there's a ton that are either out of print or simply have never been done. Besides, the FASA published ones never did much for me (especially twilight of the clans... man I read the 6th book thinking "Wow finally some scenarios I can do in BT without having to scale down" and bought the scenario book. Turns out they scaled down those scenarios too... I should go through and make my own up for these battles... Anyone want to lend a hand?
Greyslayer
07/03/04 01:28 AM

Seriously, if you read the novels then you should understand there was no way the writer even looked at playing out the battles before filling in the blanks. Why do you think the scenarios are so 'scaled down' or 'different'?

We played a campaign where one comstar Division (hidden/fortified) was gutted by one Jade Falcon Cluster in Tukayyid. We played the campaign out so the opposition decided 3 whole clusters should be sent in... due to the REALISM, bit and pieces of 3 clusters fled out and the commander in his Crockett returned behind the bridges since 50% of his troops were 'headcapped' in the fight.
Nightward
07/03/04 09:41 PM

In a word: numbers.

BT gets REALLY slow wth anything much abouve company-on-company battles.

Going to Regimental, Galaxy, or multi-Regiment, Multi-Galaxy scale would result in a grindingly slow game. You'd probably die before you finished a game mimicking the Battle of Tukayyid with BT rules.

Those kinds of games are more the province of BattleForce than BattleTech.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Greyslayer
07/03/04 11:30 PM

If you will remember how long it took us to complete a Grand Melee involving up to 20 players then battles up to a battalion on battalion can be could be completed within the confines of a 6 to 7 hour period.

The use of timed turns (20 seconds from the completion of opponent's turn not including dice rolls). A short weapon declaration phase and generally everything that fires on a single unit is resolved before moving onto the next target.

Much of the time in larger battletech battles is setting up. If the battlefield had already been setup and the forces predetermined (either by prior emails or by a neurtal agent) then again time is not going to be consumed so much.
Nightward
07/04/04 01:29 AM

Yeah, but remember that we were fighting a Clan melee with good pilots and munchtastic 'Mechs.

An engagement between a full Clan Cluster (even without AeroSpace support) and an IS 'Mech regiment could see in excess of 150 'Mechs alone in the field. Add on Vehicle, Infantry, and Artillery support, the time taken for the various unit commanders to coordinate attacks betwen the "lower-ranking" members on each team....

And, of course, a proper unit won't have all the fancy tech and best options. The Clan force would be mostly "Prime" Omnis with a few Support and Close-Combat Stars, and the IS outfits would feature a fair number of "suck" machines like, say, War Dogs or Riflemen.

Sure, with optimal conditions like having all "munch" machines, small maps, a large number of players on each side, timed turns, ad infanatum, it's possible- but for home play between friends, it's not really possible.

That might change, however, if MegaMek really gets moving. On-line play, however, is a whole other realm.

I've played a Batallion on Batallion game. There were four players, each with 18 (or so) units; it took us most of a day- some 10 hours of play- and we had only ten casualties and were nowhere near a resolution for the battle...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Brandx0
07/04/04 04:40 AM

Now hold on, I"m not talking about doing tukkayid in BT, what I'm saying is just snippets of the battles, I don't mind something like that being scaled down, but for the scaling I was specifically referring to the great refusal of the crusaders vs. Inner sphere on Strana Mechty. These were company on binary scale battles and I think would have made great scenarios for BT, but in the twilight of the clans scenario pack, each of these battles is represented by 2 mechs per side
Nightward
07/04/04 07:31 PM

Well, yeah. That is pretty lame. On the other hand, Prince of Havoc does cover mst of the battes- who was there and what they fought in. Piloting skills are left out, buut I'd say it's safe to assume that the Clan Khan is a 0/1 pilot, the SaKhan a 1/1 pilot, and everyone else in the Binary a 1/2 pilot. IS forces would be headed up by the appropriate character (their stats have alkready been given) and staffed by 2/3 warriors.

I just kinda assumed you were talking about the really huge strategic engagements from the novels.
Gnome76
07/05/04 02:53 AM

Quote:

On the other hand, Prince of Havoc does cover mst of the battes-

"You need a new kybard? What's a kybard?" -Pointy Haired Boss
Brandx0
07/06/04 05:25 AM

Yeah some of them are a bit sketchy though. Some, like the Wolves vs. St Ives and DC vs. Blood spirits are pretty fleshed out (I think so, anyways, assuming its a 5 on 5... which I found a tad odd...) But in some cases there is pretty much no mention at all (Capcon anyone? Novacats?)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7090

Contact Admins Sarna.net