carpet bombing?

Pages: 1
wartang
07/10/04 12:07 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
i was reading over my copy of battle space (pre-wiskids or whoever) and looking looking at the rules for bombing and i noticed that they left out this tactic. the reson i bring this up was i wanted to build a areodine drop ship that was a bomber. and i also couldn't find any rules for an internal bomb bay. so heres what im looking for.
1rules for carpet bombing
2rules for bomb bays
3 is this game leagle
i love this game
CrayModerator
07/10/04 06:10 PM

Dropships cannot carry bombs. In fact, the only vehicles able to carry bombs are fighters. That's a pre-Wizkid AT2 rule. IIRC, VTOLs might be able to carry bombs, too.

Fighters can only carry bombs on their hard points, not as part of their weapon tonnage. That's a pre-Wizkid AT2 rule.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Greyslayer
07/14/04 12:17 AM

If you are using level 3 rules then VTOLs are allowed to use bombs. The rules for this are found in Maxtech.

For wartang, you can only dive-bomb or ripple bomb in the earlier stuff. You probably should look up the basic rules of this in the newest stuff (AT2) to confirm if that is still true. Ripple bombing with cluster bombs in battletech couple possibly fit the bill of carpet-bombing giving the larger explosive radius of the cluster bombs (for lower damage). I have not read AT2 though so some of this info might be out of date.
Toontje
07/16/04 08:24 AM

Lvl 3 doesn't really count..

But no DS bombers, they're scary as it is striking and strafing.

Carpet bombing = ripple bombing with a flight of Aerofighters. Use inferno's for satisfactory effect.
Rather to blow up, then.
Greyslayer
07/16/04 06:14 PM

Quote:

Lvl 3 doesn't really count..

As a certified level 3 rule it counts depending on the level of campaign or battle you are playing. Just because you may not play level 3 doesn't make it illegal for others.

Cray sounded less than 100% sure that the rules actually existed in the battletech game, I fail to see where he said for level 2 only in that instance.
wartang
07/20/04 02:09 AM

so then theres no way i can make a true bomber.
if so there goes my b-17 refit
i love this game
CrayModerator
07/20/04 07:46 AM

Quote:

so then theres no way i can make a true bomber.
if so there goes my b-17 refit

A 50-ton conventional fighter can carry 10 tons of bombs on its hard points. A 100-ton ASF can carry 20 tons of bombs on its hard points. Either payload matches or exceeds the bomb payload of a B17.

However, since it is known that each hard point carries 1 ton of bombs, it's very easy to give a fighter (or dropship) a "cargo bay" that carries bombs. It will be a house rule, but if you want a 35000-ton aerodyne dropship to roll over an deluge 15 kilotons of bombs across several mapboards, it's a very easy rule to create: you're just lifting a restriction, not modifying other rules.

And do remember that one hard point on a fighter is not necessarily a single bomb. It's an abstract representation of assorted bomb configurations. When a 100-ton ASF rolls over the battlefield and empties 20 tons of bombs on a long strip of hexes (remember: a hex is 100ft wide), it may be dropping a hundred 200kg bombs, carpetting a swath of destruction better than any B-17 ever could.

A squadron or regiment of such fighters can do a fine job of carpet bombing a map board. After all, a single B-17 did not carpet bomb by itself - it took up to 1000 buddies to get the job done.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (07/20/04 07:49 AM)
Minnime
07/20/04 11:54 AM

Not sure where you get the tons from, because:

It says per 5 bombs you can carry 1 Arrow, however, 5 Arrows are 1 ton, not 5 tons... could be that I use some old rules, but that's how I remember this stuff.

But before thinking about bombing, one should read the whole thing carfull, because fighters are capped in this case, in reality they are far superior to a battlemech, but however, in BT bombs/rockets are restricted because a mech is supposed to be superior, not the fighter.

It's a gamebalance ruling, but even with the restrictions I believe that those fighters are more than deadly, not only because of the bombs/rockets, but as well due to the huge weapon loadout a 100ton ASF can carry.

greets
Minni
Greyslayer
07/20/04 12:52 PM

Quote:

It says per 5 bombs you can carry 1 Arrow, however, 5 Arrows are 1 ton, not 5 tons... could be that I use some old rules, but that's how I remember this stuff.

Which would mean that every 25 tons an ASF could carry an Arrow bomb. Every 5 tons a fighter can carry one extra bomb. Thus a 100-ton fighter like the Reiver can carry 20 bombs or 4 Arrow IVs.

Personally I would just stick with 20 cluster bombs over the 4 Arrow IVs...
CrayModerator
07/20/04 08:30 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you get the tons from

If it's not stated that 1 hard point of bombs is 1 ton in AT2, then it's stated in the errata.

Maybe it's in MaxTech, for the optional VTOL bombing rules.

Edited by Cray (07/20/04 08:37 PM)
CrayModerator
07/21/04 08:34 PM

From MaxTech Revised, page 35:
Quote:

Bombing

Like aerospace units, VOTLs may carry bombs on external racks. Bombs may be carried in place of cargo or infantry; each bomb counts as 1 ton of cargo.

Gangrene
07/24/04 12:34 AM

Quote:

Not sure where you get the tons from, because:

Just assume every arrow missile takes 4.8 tons of support equipment. Its lame, I know, but there's no better rationale for FASA's/FanPro's poor math.
Gangrene
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8946

Contact Admins Sarna.net