Gauss AC/5

Pages: 1
Rotwang
07/30/04 02:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Gauss AC/5 was designed to replace the old AC/5, making for a somewhat safer weapon with the same performance overall, but at a higher cost.

The stats are the same as the level 1 AC/5, except that it takes up an extra critical space and only has 18 shots per on of ammo instead of 20. All Gauss rifle rules apply to the GAC/5. The ammo will not explode when hit.

Cost : 250,000, Ammo cost 9000/ton
BV : 70/9
Nightward
07/30/04 07:30 PM

Or you could just use a Light Gauss Cannon.

Personally, I just hate people coming up with new weapons. They tend to be very poorly balanced, and/or pointless. BT already has more weapons than you can shake an AeroSpace Phenotype at, after all...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
07/30/04 11:04 PM

What then are the advantages? How is it safer? I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it's physically just a bad idea to try and combine a Gauss weapon or rail gun with a standard explosive shell cannon... See the Entry on the GG Gauss rifle for details so I don't have to repeat myself... Basically it's more crit space, same chance of a catastrophic weapons explosion, for less damage? I agree with Nightward, just use a LGR or an Ultra AC5...
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Rotwang
07/31/04 07:02 AM

A GAC/5 will cause a 12 damage point explosion when hit. Since it is a scaled down light gauss rifle, it fires conventional gauss ammo which will not explode, unlike Autocannon ammo. You cannot use AC ammo in the GAC and vice-versa.

The idea is plain and simple it's a safer AC/5 using gauss technology over AC tech. What would you rather have a 100 point kaboom going on inside your mech or a 12-point one ???

The basic idea is to make the good old AC/5 more appealing to some people, rather than just go for the Ultra or LBX versions.
Lone_Wolf_Radick
07/31/04 10:49 AM

So what's the range then? Minimum restrictions? I'm still not really seeing a real advantage to fielding this over the LGR or an Ultra Ac 5... No offense or anything, it's just not presenting itself as a far better alternative...
War Never Determines who is right, only who is left.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing-Darth Vader"
Brandx0
08/02/04 05:08 PM

Umm, AC shells explode, The way I see it what you're presenting is either a magnetically accelerated AC shell, in which case both ammo explosions AND rifle explosions would occur, or a light light gauss rifle, which has little to no use in my opinion considering there is already a light gauss.
Rotwang
08/02/04 05:27 PM

The weapon is a gauss rifle, as said before it does not fire AC ammo, it does the same amount of damage, firing Gauss ammo. THE AMMO DOES NOT EXPLODE WHEN HIT !!!!! ANY CRITICAL HIT ON THE WEAPON PROPER WILL CAUSE IT TO EXPLODE AND DO 12 POINTS OF DAMAGE AS PER THE NORMAL GAUSS WEAPON RULES.
Rotwang
08/02/04 05:30 PM

Who said it was supposed to be a far better alternative? It's an AC/5, but using gauss tech, making it somewhat safer to use than a regular AC which tends to tear mechs apart when the ammo blows up.
Greyslayer
08/02/04 06:02 PM

Considering the damage to tonnage ratio you wouldn't find it on a mech large enough to ignore the 12 points internal damage, thus on lighter mechs that would be fielding this weapon it would rip them apart. Plus I'd prefer to minimise the number of chances my pilot has of having 2 extra head-hits.

But that is just me
Karagin
03/07/10 11:42 AM

Your idea is an interesting one and does in away show that the technology to make Gauss weapon could be seen as the death bell of the autocannons. BUT, the limiting factor of the single ammo type for the Gauss style weapons does allow the ACs to stay in the picture. Yes I am aware of the "Silver Bullet" Gauss Ammo that is in the UNBOUND Mechwarrior book.

I do like the idea and it is very much an idea that could see some use.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
03/08/10 01:03 AM

What an old thread...just had to say it.

Anyway, this reminds me of an attempt to make lower calibur HAGs. All the rules and mechanics are there, they just need to be acknowleged in the thought process.
Tripod
03/10/10 04:46 AM

Sure, if the weapon is hit it does less damage than hitting a ton of AC ammo but the weapon itself is a MUCH larger target. You will carry 1 many 2 tons of ac ammo for 1-2 crits vs how many crits for the weapon itself? 5? You have a much greater chance of an ammo explosion with a guass type weapon, just less damage when it does happen. Neat idea but I'll pass.
TBA
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 200 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10938

Contact Admins Sarna.net