No aliens

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
UncaRat
08/07/04 04:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a Merc unit that is non human. Think Cats (apologies to that show).

They are a colonization ship that has misjumped and ended up at the edge of human space beyond the Magestry of Canopus. At the start their are only about 5,000 of them.

They did riot control mostly on the ground, (infantry, scouting, and vehicles mostly, nothing like a mech had ever been developed), strategic control was decided in space. Little or no raiding took place. Planetary assaults however were ugly, and vital to ending any war.

I also had to develope a sketch of their culture.

Their way of life as a unit evolved into- you have a broken tech plant? We will fix it for half the increase in output. And help defend it.

They arrived in the 2980's, worked for a decade for the Magestry (setting up a mech factory away from the IS, and training the locals to run and maintain it). Became known to the IS governments in 3005 (i.e. at the start of the campaign). The players represented a group hired to "Find things out" by the Lyrans.

They were reasonably successful, and that leads into the second campaign starting in 3011 in Lyran space that ended in 3027. Where in the same thing goes on with a different group of charecters, these being combine types.

Note roleplaying aspects were Mech Warrior 3 RPG rules.

The players had a good time with it and so did I, but everyone knew it was non cannon.

The unit left for home in 3035. (planned but never played)
Perhaps the reason for the dislike for aliens in BT is that they always seem like invading menaces with no weaknesses and some major tech advantage, or they are background.
This unit was crafted to use only DS heatsinks as advanced tech, and to be a combined arms unit with lots of techs, (to build up damaged infrastructure), including infantry armed with effective jump armor (with real and effective armor against weapons up to a Zeus rifle), improved sensor capabilities, (near mech levels on scout vehicles), and effective artillery (can you say barrage? of course that was to discourage large unit attacks not so good agsainst a small mobile enemy), aeromechs armored with Ferro-Alluminium. Tough but not impossible to get arround- a challenge!
One our group dug into, connived with local disedents, spyed, and otherwise impressed me. In that world Double heatsinks were available in limited numbers from Thar-Hes in 19, and in mass production in 23. the CC and FWL a year later. The FS started late but had production at more than a dozen places by 25. The DC players managed to steal an entire tool line and relocate it in 22 allowing moderate production by mid 23.
We expected quite a war in 29 but we never played it out.
UncaRat
08/07/04 04:39 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention that they did field mechs, starting with rebuilt pirate mechs, later they built their own. they were laser, SRM and LRM friendly, but did not use or make ammo for AC-20, AC-2.

Their race did not use PPC's in ground combat but they were used in space.

Variants on some designs became standard with them, and this effected tactics.

They had lots of Aeromechs so stealth in the field was a real good idea.

The unit never fielded ANY Locust units, Wasps were used for training,before they were deployed in any great numbers, other units were evaluated after capture many were never deployed.
Brandx0
08/07/04 05:38 AM

Not really on topic of BT, but on the topic of aliens. What if we one day do manage to travel to the stars and meet another race, we always imagine ourselves as being visited or whatever, but what if we find out that WE are the most advanced race around. Most people never think of it like that, but hey, its as possible as the reverse.
Carthaginian
08/07/04 05:22 PM

Well, I would say that I pity the poor, backwards aliens that get caught under our feet. Look at the American Indians, the Tasmanians, the Maya, the Incas, the Aztecs...

Humanity is not even kind to those of our own kind who lag behind. Lord only knows what we would do to a race of aliens who lived on a planet that we wanted.

This from a devout Trek fan.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 25549

Contact Admins Sarna.net