Tactical Ops tandem charge warheads

Pages: 1
OPER_DANG
09/23/09 06:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a question regarding tandem-charge warheads (TCW) damage; where there ever rules in print that had the damage from TCWs include the possibility of critical hits before all the armor in the section was depleted?

I have a 3rd printing "corrected" edition of the "Tactical Handbook, Fasa, 1994, and the rules for resolving TCW damage states no critical hits can be made until after all the armor for the section has been destroyed. Anyone know if this was a revision?

I played once, under a GM that was using Tactical rules, allowing TCWs and so for any damage to internal structure there was also the chance of a critical hit, handled like normal rules damage to int. struc. and critical hits because it was supposed to due 1 point damage to the armor, penetrate and do one point to the internal structure. There is a definite logic in that thinking. An armor piercing round would punch through the outer armor an then while producing damage internally could hit something critical, like a actuator, weapon or gyro. Consequently with these TCW rules, we took the opponent Clan mechs out quick, so I can see it being too powerful or unbalanced for matched game play.

So was the GM going out on his own, or was there an earlier printing that did not have the same rules for damage resolution and critical hits for TCWs

Edited by OPER_DANG (09/24/09 08:47 AM)
CrayModerator
09/23/09 06:55 PM

Well, the copy of the Tactical Handbook I have is - I think - 1st printing, since it doesn't say what printing it is, and 2nd/3rd/etc printings declare their printing number. It also says "no crits before armor's gone." The Handbook tandem charge missiles also do 1 point of internal structure damage with every hit, even if there's external armor still.

On the other hand, Tactical Operations does NOT inflict internal damage until armor's gone. It does normal SRM damage but, like armor piercing AC ammo, has a critical hit chance (at -2 on the crit roll).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Venom
09/24/09 06:13 AM

I liked the old rules fro TC warheads. It set them apart from AP AC ammo. That and the were a b---- on Clan EI pilots!
CrayModerator
09/24/09 08:39 AM

Quote:

I liked the old rules fro TC warheads. It set them apart from AP AC ammo. That and the were a b---- on Clan EI pilots!

They were fun, but too munchy - there was a lot of feedback along the lines "OMFG they're overpowered." So, they got nerfed.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
09/24/09 02:01 PM

They never seemed to overpower any of the games I had the chance to use them in...then again I didn't go all out and arm everything with them either...

Guess some folks want to keep it simple, which is also a good thing. Now the EMP warheads, those caused some folks to get upset...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
09/24/09 02:44 PM

Quote:

They never seemed to overpower any of the games I had the chance to use them in...then again I didn't go all out and arm everything with them either...

It's always the people who abuse too much of a good thing that ruin it for others. Your restraint with Tandem Charge missiles was insufficiently mirrored by others.

Lafeel
09/24/09 03:47 PM

So true, there will always be people that abuse even the best intended stuff.
OPER_DANG
09/24/09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Now the EMP warheads, those caused some folks to get upset...

Oh yeah...nothing like a Salamander packin' mag-pulse warheads to do that...
That's just dirty.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8102

Contact Admins Sarna.net