Drone Question...

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/16/02 12:24 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can drone's ram (charge) other units?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
07/16/02 12:41 AM

It is possible under the simple rules they have stated but

Drones suffer a +1 to all attack and piloting rolls (since you are already using level 3 rules that would mean the following formulae for the drone to hit a target Defender Movement + Attacker Movement + Base to Hit (5) + comparative piloting + 1 for being a drone.

Unless there is ECCM fields equal to or outnumbering ECM fields for the drone it will fail to function at the end of the movement phase if within an ECM field thus unable to complete a charge.

Commander Killed destroys the Drone's remote sensors thus stopping the vehicle (and ending any charge attempts it might be making).

The Drone is still forbidden to enter terrain restricted from it like any other vehicle.

Clans as stated in Maximum Tech do not use drones at all.

That is all I can come up with apart from Max Tech saying that only vehicles (not mechs or aerospace) can be drones.

Greyslayer
CrayModerator
07/16/02 07:13 AM

Sure. Just note the +1 piloting modifiers (I think) drones suffer from - they're a little harder to pilot than normal vehicles because of the remote control nature. Otherwise, they're like normal vehicles.

Why - thinking of 5-ton kamikaze drones?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
07/16/02 09:48 AM

More like 1 ton BuzzBombs...but the idea is the same.
Karagin

CrayModerator
07/16/02 10:40 AM

Have you taken a moment to optimize the drones' tonnage for ramming damage?

I have a 19/29 6-ton drone that should do...17 points of damage. A 1-ton drone with a...must be an XL with all that required drone gear...25 XL would do...duh, suspension factor...11 points on a ram? It's a VTOL, right?

Wow, 1-ton does look best for your money and force survivability. It gets a lot of mileage out of the suspension factor.

Heh. And FASA made 10- and 15-ton mechs L3 because they were used as ramming machines...
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
07/16/02 11:02 AM

VTOL and possiablly hover...
Karagin

NathanKell
07/16/02 03:06 PM

Hmmm...will we soon see radar-controlled mine strips?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
07/16/02 03:53 PM

Actually I have them already as home tech item for my vehicles in my alternate BT universe...call the APDMS (Anti-Personal/Defense Mine Strips) they work about the same way as A-Pods do but can intercept incomming missiles as well as infantry.
Karagin

NathanKell
07/16/02 11:47 PM

And I bet that hammers the enemy quite mercilessly, too!
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
07/16/02 11:56 PM

Yes it SLAMMERS them quite nicely...
Karagin

damourc
07/19/02 05:54 PM

It's been a while since I've seen the write up, but I sorta, kinda, almost recall that my brother designed a drone machine that did 10 points of damage on a ramming attack and cost less than AC/10 ammo.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5433

Contact Admins Sarna.net