Aerofighters can win against 'Mechs most of the time?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GiovanniBlasini
11/27/08 07:03 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

One of the things many people forget is that an Aerospace fighter making a strafing run gets a +2 to hit, and the guns to get rid of that modifier have damn short ranges. Also, LB-10 X autocannons (and LB 5's, sometimes) can mean death to them, especially at the hands of an Annihilator with a good pilot.

One thing I think that's also being missed here is that, while hex sizes in the low-altitude map aerospace fighters use are 500 meters across, that ultimately doesn't matter in terms of game mechanics. Why? Because a bombing or strafing aircraft is passing directly over the hex that contains the ground map the ground-based targets are on, and those ground-based targets get the opportunity, then, to shoot back.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
Christopher_Perkins
11/27/08 01:59 PM

The AeroTech & AeroTech 2 Air Hexes almost exactly correspond to a single BattleTech Map (if you shift the maps over half a map for each row of maps you get a nearly exact correspondance)

Also... AeroTech units can now (AT2 R / Total Warfare) operate on the BattleTech Map at 8 - 16 BattleTech Hexes per thrust point expended
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Xephan
03/14/11 06:20 AM

The rules are covered for such interactions.

There are two ways for a aerospace fighter to interact with a ground unit.

1 Doing a bombing run.

2 Move to map level altitude and do a strafing run.

In both instinces the mech can shoot back, and is a easy target to other planes on the mechs side while peforming at these low altitudes.

They cant just hang out at several time the mechs range and plink at them till they fall over and go boom.

Also im pretty sure the ranges in AeroTech and BattleSpace are for space combat. I hear microgravity and lack of drag improves the range of most weapons.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/14/11 03:11 PM

Quote:

Actually, Its Perfectly Balanced the way it should be.

How Easy would it be for an M1A1 or M1A2 to Take out a MIG 29 or YAK 36?

It would be Unbalanced if a Ground unit that was designed to fight other ground units was as good at fighting Air Units as Air units that are designed to fight both Ground and Air units were at taking out Ground units.

If you think there is an issue with the Balancing, you need to read a bit more about the universe...

Jet aircraft can be as infective at targeting ground targets as ground assets are at firing at air targets and vice versus where ground assets are just as affective at targeting jets as jets can be at targeting ground targets. It all depends on what the jet aircraft is and is armed with and what the ground unit is.

I know that the M1A2 has barrel fired missiles, I just don't know if one of then is a SAM. If the M1A2 does have barrel fired SAMs it can take out a jet fighter. If not, just because the tank cant, that does not mean that a PBI that is with the tank is not armed with a shoulder fired SAM.

I have heard in documentaries about fighters that a lot of air jocks would rather be fighting other aircraft than going anywhere near where they will see a lot of triple A fire. One fighter pilot said that he would almost need a diaper so he would not wet his flightsuit when he went against a ground target that has AA defense because the flack was that bad.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
03/15/11 07:37 PM

AeroTech 2 has two ranges.

Atmospheric Range which is exactly the same as BattleTech except for using hexes that are the size of BattleTech Maps (500 m +/- 10 m)

Space, which is exactly the same as BattleTech except for using hexes that are appx 18,000 meters in size based off of 1 thrust being .5 G.
BattleSpace only had one range - Space

AeroTech 1 had two ranges, atmospheric was the same as in AT2, but the space scale would have been enough to turn the pilots into Patte so it was changed in BS & AT2 (iirc 640 km / 18 G... may have been 6400 km or 178 G)

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Christopher_Perkins
03/15/11 07:45 PM

There are Specialty Craft in BattleTech As well.

Anti-Air Targeting Systems (Specialty)
LB-X Autocannon fireing Cluster Shells (All Cluster)
Artillery Fireing Standard Shells set to detonate at the Altitude that a Fighter is passing at.

Another thing is that AeroSpace Fighters and other craft moving on the 500 m atmospheric map will be moving in straight lines 16 hexes long on the BattleTech Scale, this gives a LOT of time for GroPos to bring the weapons to bear.

If a unit has not equipped itself with Anti-Air Specialty Assets or General Purpose Assets with utility against Airborne targets, then they deserve to get Hammered.

Especially considering that All games are Volentary.. unless part of an ongoing campaign.

ChipBurcham
05/16/11 02:09 PM

Answser my question about Clan MechWarriors vs. Clan AeroPilots or admit you want aerospace units to always defeat ground units.
CrayModerator
05/16/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

Answser my question about Clan MechWarriors vs. Clan AeroPilots or admit you want aerospace units to always defeat ground units.

Wow, Chip.

The posting rules are pretty simple: 7. You are only allowed to have one account on this forum. Using additional accounts is cause for banning. Similarly, posting as another user without that user's permission is strictly prohibited and cause for banning.

After racking up bans before, you earned a ban for life by coming back under another account. Now you're back again, violating your ban AND using yet another account, and implicitly admitting it by responding to posts you made as NewType. Consider this another life time ban stacked on the last one.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 23677

Contact Admins Sarna.net