Design help wanted

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Karagin
12/01/07 09:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This one reminds me of the Solairs mech of the same name and weight...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Askhati
12/03/07 05:59 PM

Oh? The coincidence is completely unintentional, believe me.
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
01/19/08 04:52 AM

Well, I'm pulling an all nighter here as im switchign back to nights for the coming work week. I'm using this time to convert the mechs we have come up with here to "Industrial Mech" status. see'ing as how "battle" mechs cant use ICE or even Fuel Cell engines. so far most all of the conversions went well enough. most worked out even or very close and a few even gained some free tonage. the big guys that are slow, 2/3 and slower, dont convert well. the free tonage gained be changing to a fuel cell does not offset the free tons lost by doubleing the internal structure weight per workmech construction rules.

my mech, the Crossbow gained 2 tons of armor and 2 tons of lrm ammo.

the colussus was 4 tons underweight to begin with, so i converted ofer without any noticable changes.

the other 2 100 tonners will not fair so well. i have not done the math but they are next on my to do list. will see how things go in a bit when i get arround to them...

meanwhile, feel free to post up some level 1 fussion designs as well as level 2 and 3 designs. i talked to the GM about a very few, uncommon mechs. i call them "Royal" mechs, only used by nobility. this is the place you would most likely see level 3 tech, or clan tech.

i leave the rest to you, good day.
TBA
Karagin
01/20/08 01:52 AM

Uhmm Battlemechs can use ICE, it's just not practical for them to do so, what faction would be using these walking vehicles?
Karagin

Tripod
01/20/08 06:44 AM

The problem is the battlemechs "cant" use ICE, so im converting the mechs into workmechs and upgrading then to fuel cell engines to offset the weight gained by the workmech's heavy internal structure.

As far as the factions that will use them, well... not sure if you remember the spill about our little campaign we are setting up, read the first post for full info. in 3025 a jumpship misscalculated and jumped into an unknown, inhabited system. the jumpship was destroyed, one dropship survived. the humans in the system were at a dark age of sorts, a feudal society, kings, dukes, lords, vassals and such. 750 years later they are producing mechs, dropships, colinizing other planets in the system and such but still a feudal style society. this is when our campaign takes place.

Or did i missunderstand your question and your wanting speciffic faction info from our campaign? if thats the case i cant help. im the battletech "expert" in our group. im a player in this campaign, not the GM. the faction info has not been revealed as of yet.

i'm giving your guys liberty to make up some stuff in that area. just as in the great houses in battletech lore some equipment is not available, or scarce to one house and the house next door has more than they can use. this would create some mech designs leaning towards certain types of weapons.

For anyone interested, the rough outline of designing a workmech follows thge same as a battlemech but double the standard internal structure weight, allows fission, fuel cell(1.25 standard fussion weight and one free heat sink), and ICE engines. +10% weight for enviromental sealing <--never used that so far, and .5 tons 1 crit in the head for an ejection seat...
TBA
Karagin
01/21/08 10:43 AM

Did you miss the section in Explorer Corps book where it gives you rules for ICE Mechs?
Karagin

Dester
01/21/08 11:20 AM

While an interesting concept, have you considered building your own vehicles?

In your game vehicles built to be similar to the LRM cariers and harrasers could be very devistating. Not to mention cheaper and easier to build then an ICE battlemech.

If I was a "lord" in your game I would reserve all of my Fussion engines for battlemechs, and mostly rely on my vehicles to fight, and only commit my battlemechs if I needed the extra punch of them.

Another thing to consdier with ICE mechs. Inferno equiped vehicles/ Infantry could really cause one to have a bad day

I know you asked for help with ICE mechs, but really unless your making a slightly mobile bunker it would be better to go with vehicles. (oh and don't use those horrible rules for vehicles hits in the Master rulesbook, go back to the original City tech book and use the hit tables out of there. I don't know anyone that agrees the master rules tables are fair to vehicles).

Good luck
Karagin
01/21/08 09:25 PM

Not many of the vehicle rules are fair to vehicles...
Karagin

Askhati
01/23/08 05:20 PM

...probably because they intended for the focus of the game to be on 'Mechs, not vehicles.
Evolve or DIE!
Fang
05/08/08 11:53 AM

old thread, I know. Actually, the Colossus from the Solaris7 boxed set was a short ranged murderous beast, with an AC/20, large and medium pulse lasers, and experimental coolant injectors. The design with the mace was the Cudgel. It was I think 80 tons, had a mace instead of a hand, and utilized MASC.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
KitK
09/02/09 02:33 PM

OK, I know this is way late. But it looked fun so I took a quick crack at it.

Behold! The Knave

Code:

Knave KNV-1S
_
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Era: (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: N/A
Chassis Config: Biped
Production Year: 3575 and beyond
_
Mass: 20 tons
_
Cost: 1,133,090 C-Bills
Battle Value: 307
_
Chassis: Blacksmith Forge-7 Small
Power Plant: Briggs & Stratton 100 I.C.E. Engine
Walking Speed: 53.75 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Armor: Scabbard Thinline Standard w/ CASE
Armament:
... 1 N.E.R.F. by Hasbro Light Machine Gun
... 1 Buckler Incorperated Small Shield
... 1 Arrowshot Remote Sensor Dispenser
Manufacturer: CMCDesignsGuild
... Primary Factory: Cassleton - Deep Periphery
Communications System: Passenger Pigeon ZX-4
Targeting and Tracking System: Soothsayer MX-1
_
Overview:
A scout mech that goes henceforth into yon hill and dale in search of the enemy.

_
Capabilities:
A remote sensor dispenser helps the Knave perform its role. A small shield and
C.A.S.E help it get back in one piece. Its only armament is a light machine
gun, which is good for harassing villagers, dispersing angry, farm-tool
wielding mobs, and shooting food.
_

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: 33 points 2.00
Engine: I.C.E. Engine 100 6.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single 1 1.00
Gyro: Standard Gyro 1.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard AV - 40pts (58%) 2.50
CASE Locations: 1 LT 0.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 5
Center Torso 6 6
Center Torso (rear) 1
L/R Torso 5 4
L/R Torso (rear) 1
L/R Arm 3 4
L/R Leg 4 5

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light Machine Gun RA 0 1 0.50
Small Shield LA - 3 2.00
Remote Sensor Dispenser RT 0 1 0.50
@LMG (1/2) (100) LT - 1 0.50
@Remote Sensors (1/2) (30) LT - 1 0.50

Tripod
09/03/09 06:41 AM

We actually never started that campaign. It's not been thrown out. My gaming buddies are quite the ADD bunch, and I dont mean Advanced Dungeon & Dragons.

Im suprised no one added any fusion powered mechs. Guess I could have added faction info, that might have sparked alot more interest....given a few ideas to piggyback off of. I might get with the GM and have him give me some info...

:EDIT:

LOVE the name on that one! I dont think we had planned on using the remote sensors. Heck, I don't even know what they do or how they work....anyways, thanks for the submission!

Edited by Tripod (09/03/09 06:43 AM)
Karagin
10/12/09 05:26 PM

Nice stuff so far guys, do you have any more?
Karagin

Tripod
10/27/09 04:20 AM

I've been toy'ing arround with different weapon loadouts on a few of the chassis I designed to try and see when else might work, and what wont. I sort of treated them like an Omni, adding the total weight of the HS, weapons, ammo and equipment to get a "pod space". This allowed me to do some figuring while I'm actually working since I cant bring in materials and have no internet access durring that time. I have no intention of making these designs Omni capable but it's allowing me to test different weapon combinations and how usefull they might or might not be. For example...

The Constelation is a 55 ton mech with an average(for this setting) speed at 3/5, with excelent armor coverage(11.5tons). It comes standard as an enery based weapons platform consisting of 1 PPC and 3 standard medium lasers along with the required 1 ton power amplifier. It's all kept cool with 10 standard heatsinks.

This makes for 21 total tons of "pod space". I am allowign fractional accounting for the use of power amplifiers and armor. I think 2 points of armor covers a 0.1 ton amp for a medium laser, don't quote me though. I did this because these ICE mechs need every ton they have available.

The Heavy Horse is the other I've been working with.

Heavy Horse

75 Tons
3/5
12.0 Tons of armor
7 Heat Sinks
1 AC/10 (20)
2 SRM 6 (15)
2 MG (100)

26.5 tons for this guy...

As far as I can tell I think the factions will have access to certain weapon types. I see 4 types... AC's, Energy, LRM and SRM. I'd like to see you guys work your magic... Come up with a few loadouts using only 2 weapon types, or even 1. Then once the GM, or I will if I take over, will allocate the mechs to the factions they fit into.

The availability of weapon types does not need to be exclusive. Say you picked AC's and LRM's. You could still toss on a medium laser or two. It's not that a laser will not exist in that faction, they just cant produce them and so would use them sparingly or not at all as replacement parts are very hard to come by. You might see a mech in that faction with a non-functional laser in a totally repaired mech simply because of logistics problems.

In configuring the weapons loadouts for these type mechs I seem to be leaning towards multiple small launchers vs 1 single large one(esp in LRMs). The heat spike from LRM 20's and 15's are problematic vs the ability to just fire 1 LRM 5, not all 3 or 4. I dont like this...it seems munchie, sort of...

Just a reminder, I'm designing these ICE powered battle mechs to these standards...

Double the weight of the standard engine required for the desired walking speed...
Include NO free heatsinks with the engine...
Add 10% to the weight of all "energy" weapons for power amplifiers...
All level 1 tech (3025) at the moment, feel free to branch out though. Advanced tech will find it's way into the game in the future.
TBA
Tripod
10/27/09 07:43 AM

Alright, here is a few of the ideas I had for the 3/5, 55 ton'er, 11.5 tons of armor with 21 tons available...
The +'s are how many ton's of ammo...
Code:

Standard version for comparison...
1-PPC -7
3-MED -3
10-HS -10
1-Amp -1
-------------------

LRM's and SRM's... enough HS to run and gun with the LRM...

1-LRM 15 +2 - 9
7-HS -7
4-SRM 2 +1 -5
-------------------

Big AC...

1-AC/10 +2 -14
5-HS -5
1-SRM 2 +1 -2
-------------------

Range AC with Heavy SRM's weak ammo though, drops 1 ton of armor...

1-AC/5 +1 -9
2-SRM 6 +1 -7
6-HS -6
-1-Armor - -1
------------------

Token LRM with Heavy SRM's and heat issues

1-LRM 5 +1 -3
4-MG +1 -3
2-SRM 6 +1 -7
2-SRM 2 +1 -3
5-HS -5
------------------

Reach out and touch someone AC's with a nice backup SRM, drops .5 ton of armor...

2-AC/2 +1 -11
1-SRM 6 +1 -4
2-MG +0.5 -1.5
5-HS -5
-0.5-Armor - -0.5
-------------------

Weak fire support

2-AC/2 +1 -11
2-LRM 5 +1 -5
5-HS -5
-------------------

Weak fire support again, drops 1 ton of armor...

1-AC/5 +1 -9
3-LRM 5 +1 -7
6-HS -6
-1-Armor - -1
--------------------

Run and Gun Large Laser with SRM's but dropped a ton of armor...

1-LG -5
2-SRM 4 +1 -5
2-MG +0.5 -1.5
10-HS -10
1-Amp -0.5
-1-Armor - -1
---------------------
Code:

I know the dammage sucks on the small caliber AC's but the fact they only do 1 heat makes them quite usefull. SRM's are nice for the low heat they do. So far all of these configs have a "range" weapon, I hate to not be able to return fire....

Please feel free to point out flaws or benifits of any of these configs.
TBA

Edited by Tripod (10/27/09 07:44 AM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/15/13 07:26 PM

King's Knight

Type/Model: King's Knight
Mass: 100 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: Standard 0 10.00
Engine: 300 ICE 38.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 4*
Heat Sinks: 7 standard 7.00
Gyro: 3 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA 12 .00
Armor Factor: 304 pts standard 19.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 31 50
Center Torso (Rear): 12
L/R Side Torso: 21 35/32
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 7/7
L/R Arm: 17 34/34
L/R Leg: 21 42/42

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
Hatchet RA 0 0 7 7.00
MRM-10 LT 4 * 1 3.00
medium laser LT 3 0 1 1.00
Laser power amplifier LT 0 0 1 .10
Machine Gun H 0 * 1 .50
Machine Gun LT 0 * 1 .50
Machine Gun CT 0 * 1 .50
MRM ammo RA 0 24 1 1.00
Machine Gun Ammo RA 0 80 1 .40
Large Shield RA 0 0 7 6.00

Cost 5,044,800 C-Bills

I was board and I tripped over this thread making sure that the forum was safe from zombies coming out from the morgue.

The King's Knight is the ultimate battle mech. It is greatly feared by most mech pilots because of the great damage that it can inflect onto its enemies. First it can pepper its target with its MRM-10 wail it closes. When it gets closes it can open up with its medium laser. Once it can get into range it will pulverize any mech with its hatchet. Wail it attempts to get into range to use the hatchet it uses its massive shield to protect its self from enemy fire.

To defend its self from PBI Banzai charge attacks it has three machine guns.

All ammo is stored in the right arm where the shield protects it from enemy fire.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/17/13 11:23 AM

Type/Model: Light Cavalry
Mass: 35 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: Standard 0 3.50
Engine: 175 ICE 14.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Heat Sinks: 3 standard 3.00
Gyro: 2.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 3.00
Armor Factor: 119 pts standard 7.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 11 17
Center Torso (Rear): 5
L/R Side Torso: 8 14/14
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 2/2
L/R Arm: 6 12/12
L/R Leg: 8 16/16

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser RT 3 0 1 1
Machine Gun LT 0 * 1 .5
Machine Gun Ammo CT * 80 1 .4

I was trying to have a mech that had a some what of a good speed that had something of a weapon that was not a laser. It just could not be done. I just had to use a medium laser as its main and basically only weapon.

The Light Cavalry is just what its name means it is a mech that is intended to come in very fast with a light weapon to take advantage of openings in the enemy lines or to make openings where the enemy line is very week. It has real good armor for its weight class because it could easily find its self cut off from friendly forces.

Dam designing ICE mechs are a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 37317

Contact Admins Sarna.net